Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - scottd

I purchased my 2.5dci 171 Pathfinder Sport in March 2015 from a local dealer.

6 months later the clutch went, the vehicle did have a tow bar so I put it down to bad luck, the garage would not pay towards the replacement and were in no way apologetic.

They told me I must have a new clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted as you should not do one without the other. The cost was £704.00 and this was fitted in October 2015.

The car has now developed a terrible juddering when you pull away and when reversing is much worse. I have looked into this on-line and everyone seems to say that it is either the clutch or flywheel.

I went to the garage today and told them it has been getting worse over the last few weeks, he was very quick to suggest either we ride the clutch or there is a leak from the engine into to gearbox? He has suggested it will need stripping to see what the problem is,

Please help. Thanks

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - gordonbennet

The cynic in me wonders if the DMF got changed at all last time, the price you were charged was IMHO just a bit too good to be true, but maybe i'm out of touch.

Even if that was the case proving it would be almost impossible.

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - scottd

Thanks, I have been thinking the same, on reading into it more it seems the DMF would be the issue.

Funny thing is that when I had the work done it was just the clutch that was slipping, I read then that it doesnt mean the DMF should be changed but the garage would probably say it should, they did!

Now it seems that its the DMF?! The garage have pretty bad after sales and really dont give a crap, Is there no way of checking that the clutch and DMF are only 6 months old? or am I being stupid :[

Thanks again

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - gordonbennet

Did you get a receipt when the job was done, did the receipt state a make of parts eg LUK, if you have such a document and possibly by asking on Pathfinder/Navara forum you could discover the OE make(s) used then if they are different and removal of the gearbox proves a OE DMF to be in place, then in theory you could have a case.

Course its possible that the full assembly was changed anyway, but either was an inferior product or has developed a fault anyway.

Whatever you do i would be inclined to ask another garage to fit an LUK or similar quality parts, and to retain the old parts for your inspection, whether if they discover an obvious OE DmF in place (or cheap nasty rubbish) they would be prepared to write an open letter or report you could use in any action i don't know if that would be of any use in the event of a claim, i have a feeling not and suspect you'll be taking this one on the chin and voting with your feet next time.

hmm thinking again, it could have had another clutch between new and when you bought it, ignore my useless detective method above, come back Sherlock all is forgiven..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/04/2016 at 19:34

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - focussed

A standard DMF and clutch kit from Milners 4x 4 for the Pathfinder is £372 inc vat, their stuff is reckoned to be pretty reliable.

www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/pathfinder/r51m-2-5td...s

The heavy duty kit - however - is £1314

www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/pathfinder/r51m-2-5td...y

Stick the cheap kit in and sell it?

Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI 171 Sport 2009 - Clutch or DMF problems - Dorset123

These Pathfinders are trouble and when the mileage reaches about 95000 miles they start to fall apart. Best to sell it before you start spending a lot of money on this.