Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - Stephgh1

Hi all, this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can help with this problem as it's driving me batty!!

I have a C5 estate (2006) 1.6 hdi. It's done approx 73k miles. Always been serviced on time. A While ago I got the anti-pollution message and the car cut out while exiting a roundabout. Left it for 10 seconds and it started fine, ran for 100 miles then cut out on another roundabout. It started again fine and has been happening intermittently ever since.

However over the last few weeks, whenever i put fuel in it cuts out quite often when I try to accelerate or go round a sharp left hand corner. This improves after a couple of days and it runs fine, until I put fuel in again!

The car starts well, ticks over smoothly but if you touch the accelerator pedal you get 10 seconds of revs then it dies, only to restart OK after 10 seconds. This generally only happens when the engine is up to temperature, only ever cut out once when it was starting to warm up and never when it is cold.

I love this car, it was my Father in Laws pride and joy which he left to us. We've had it for 12 months/12000 miles with no issues before this.

Reluctantly considered trading it in, fearing the expense after reading other posts about DPF's injector rails, turbo, fuel pump etc, but the price offered was frankly insulting! I'd use her as a garden shed before accepting what I was offered! Please help!!!

Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - elekie&a/c doctor

Did the last service include replacement of the fuel filter.

Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - Peter.N.

My C5 2.0. used to stop going down hill and if you braked hard - found it was to to low oil level, not vey low but obviously enough to operate the sensor.

It still does it now and again when you put your foot down to overtake, I changed the fuel filter and it hasn't done it since but I'm not convinced!

Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - Gibbo_Wirral

If you're getting anti pollution fault then there's a good chance there's a fault code being logged. Anti pollution can cover a multitude of things, from faulty injectors to an aging catalytic converter.

Get a diagnostic check done and that will give you some clues where to look.

Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - madf

Did the last service include replacement of the fuel filter.

+1

We do need an answer as this is basic.

Citroen C5 estate 1,6 Hdi (2006) - Engine cutting Out - phil_z70

Hi,

It's the same system as I had in my old 407 2.0 HDI

At 73000 miles I would think the eolys fluid needs refilling, A full tank (approx 3 litres ?) lasts approx 80000 miles dependant on refueling intervals

The fluid is automatically added to the diesel when the car is filled up, activated by the fuel filler cap ? I think.

The fluid combines with the soot particals that are caught by the DPF and makes them easier to burn during the DPF regeneration process.

The car may not flag the tank is empty due to the slightly lower mileage and they don't have a level float like a fuel tank.

This is the first thing I would check as the car seems to be telling you the DPF is gradually filling up, If it gets too full it may need replacing, if this is the case I would get it refilled and get a forced regen done,

Try and find a decent indy who can also reset the computer when it's been done (if the eolys is the fault)

Alternatively there are other processes to deal with the DPF if it is the problem

I hope this helps