1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - LordySumner

hi all. am quite new to this and will offer help to anyone I can.

I have an issue with my astra. It started fine earlier and I wanted to clean it out as previous owner had a dog and it was full of hair. no offence to anyone just wanted to clean it lol. had the ignition on for a bit of radio whilst doing so and didn't think about the battery like a fool. so anyway, when I went to start it to move it back on my drive, it cranked over and slowly died. put some jump leads from my van to the astra ( the right way) and it just cranks of absolutely fine but will not fire up. has anyone any ideas what might need resetting or something that could of tripped when the battery died. it just doesn't want to fire up at all but will crank over fine or is there a set procedure to starting after battery has died or been replaced?

many thanks

Rob

Edited by LordySumner on 02/04/2016 at 22:31

1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - elekie&a/c doctor
Good old time technology on these with no tricks.You may have flooded the engine.Try cranking it over with your foot to the floor on the accelerator.Alternatively,you may need to remove the spark plugs for cleaning or renew.
1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - Falkirk Bairn

If there is any juice left in the battery - i.e. lights on the dash etc

Try a push start- ignition on, driver in 3rd gear clutch to the floor. 2 x people, at least get it rolling (faster than walking) and let the clutch up - with a bit of luck it will fire - keep the revs up and then let the revs down slowly.

Take the car for a run & do not stall it!

1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - Peter D

Does that age and model have a coil. If so you may have burnt it out having the ignition on. Check for a spark. Regards Peter

1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - Railroad.
If this has single point fuel injection (Multec M) then it's equipped with Clear Flood Mode. With the throttle set at greater than 75%, and engine speed at less than 400rpm, in other words engine cranking with the throttle pedal flat on the floor, no fuel will be injected. This enables the driver to clear any excess fuel and start the engine.

Those who are not aware of this function will complain that these can be difficult to start because they've enabled clear flood mode without realising it.

To start the engine normally the throttle pedal should be left alone.
1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - Railroad.

Does that age and model have a coil. If so you may have burnt it out having the ignition on. Check for a spark. Regards Peter

Very unlikely as it will have an electronic ignition system. The ignition module would have to be faulty to keep the ignition coil switched on. If it had contact breaker points, and the ignition was left on and the points closed then yes, the coil could overheat.
1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - LordySumner

hi thanks for your messages. I have pulled fuel pipe off and cranked and have no fuel being pumped through. I do have a spark. I probably shouldn't have but I stuck some petrol into the top and it fired up and died which makes sense. the only thing Imy not sure about is why the revs do not move when this happens. I'm not sure whether the fuel pumps knackered or whether the immobilisers cut in. if so is there anything worth trying? it has 3 two tone beeps when ignition is switched off and key pulled out

1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - elekie&a/c doctor

"3 two tone beeps when ignition off",sounds like it has some kind of aftermarket immobiliser fitted.Are they any other keys or fobs other than the ignition key?

1994 Opel Astra Convertible 1.6 8v - Battery Died. Wont Start after Jumping - RT

"3 two tone beeps when ignition off",sounds like it has some kind of aftermarket immobiliser fitted.Are they any other keys or fobs other than the ignition key?

It may also be connected with a back-up battery for the alarm system - which the convertible Astra may have got as standard.

no it comes through. it's not after market as my other two mk3 astra had it. think it goes through stereo. I just find it hard to believe that the fuel pump has packed up considering it ran completely fine until the battery went flat. and it seems strange that when I put fuel in the top and fire it up the rev counter does not move but will rev up and die which obviously it would with no other fuel getting there.

Ok,so we got ignition and it starts with fuel down the air intake.I would think it is not an immobiliser fault. Check the fuel pump relay situated behind the plastic trim panel,to the right of the bonnet release handle.Have you checked fuses?I am sure the pump fuse is located in the fusebox to the right of steering column.

yes the fuse is there which is a 20 amp fuse and this isn't blown. have got a test lamp to the electric fuel pump on top of the fuel tank and there seems to be no power when ignition is on, off or cranking. getting a little list with it to be honest. any idea which relay is the fuel pump and where it might be as I cannot find a location for this or any other ideas?

I mentioned the fuel pump relay and location in my last post.

so if this doesn't work replacing the relay lol what else haha ????

I would not replace anything just yet,until the system has been tested properly.As a quick try ,you could power the fuel pump fuse direct to see if that makes it start.Failing this ,you will need the services of someone who understands the working of the system.

Hey guys. Thanks for all your help and just incase it ever happens, broken wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump which runs underneath the carpet to centre console and through to the back. fixed and running now woop woop