Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - KEMYST

I would appreciate your views on the following. I have just bought a Toyota Auris and there is 10mths of the manufacture`s warranty to run. I have been offered a `2 for 1` entended manufacture`s warranty. This is for 2 years and costs £516. I can defer this until the next service. I have just got burned with a previous warranty and am only considering this because the warranty is being issued by Toyota. I`ve looked at the T&C`s and the dreaded `Wear and Tear` proviso is stated in them. Is it worth buying the warranty? I fully realise that service items like brake pads are not covered but it seems to me that the above provise lets them off any hook since everything is worn to some extent. Has anyone had experience of claiming off these type of warranties. Basically are they as good is the warranty issued with the new car?

Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - KB.

If it's any help or consolation I just checked online at Skoda UK or dot com or whatever they are.. to see what a year's extended 'Skoda Warranty' on my Yeti 1.2 petrol DSG would be...it's coming up to five years old next month. One year is £345 with no excess or £297 with £100 excess.

Presumably next year it'll be dearer.

Without doubt a cheaper option is the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA) extended warranty which is administered by Car Care Plan...who do a lot of manufacturer schemes. You do have to be a member of the CSMA (£25 a year) but don't take too much notice of the list of qualifying occupations because by hook or by crook I would almost guarantee that you'd find a suitable qualification to join. For me the main benefit of membership (apart from my taking out their warranty for the second year running) is that membership confers automatic eligibility to their 'Legal Expenses Protection' policy with LV / Frizzell at no extra charge ... the sort of policy you (might) pay £20 odd quid for on top of your car insurance policy. Therefore membership is effectively free each year.

After five years though the CSMA warranty scheme gets more expensive and has more exclusions...but if you can get in before your car is five years old then you get it at the reduced, online, price of £171 up to 1200cc or £198 over 1200cc. No excesses apply.

If I were you I'd look at the CSMA one but next year you'll have to check around to see what's best. Next year I may well not use the CSMA due to the increased cost of the 'over five years' policy and the extra exclusions...but that's another year away.

Edited by KB. on 30/03/2016 at 22:52

Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - Auristocrat

Wear and tear is a common exclusion and applies equally as much to new car warranties as it does to extended warranties.

The Toyota extended warranty is one of the best in the business and can be extended up to the time the car is 10 years old. It also includes membership of Toyota's Roadside Assistance for the period of the warranty extension (normally up to £72 per annum).

Block Exemption doesn't apply to extended warranties, so servicing would need to be done by Toyota dealers.

Edited by Auristocrat on 31/03/2016 at 14:13

Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - daveyK_UK
Is that correct road side assistance is included in the Toyota extended warranty?

The current 5 year warranty when the car is new only includes 1 years road side assistance

Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - slkfanboy

All I can say in the 30 years of motoring I can think of one repair that would have been covered under an extended warrantry. I keep cars 3 years and tend to buy 1-3 year old cars. So 6 years old max. In that comment it should be noted some repairs (mainly VW/Audis) where to under the Orginal manufactures warranty and not extended warranty.

I estimate to have saved £7,500 over the years. The sale of good act is also much stronger than in the past and cars are much better than in the past too. Further if you keep a full service history with Toyota then Good Will payments are an option too.

Toyota like many Japanse cars are reliable and as I said good will repairs are more forth coming than many. So unless compelling reason not too, i would spend the money ensuring the car is serviced correctly and on time

Toyota Auris - Manufacture`s extended warranty - Auristocrat

Yes the new car warranty includes one year Toyota Roadside Assistance, and the Toyota Extended Warranty includes Roadside Assistance as part of the package -

"As part of your Toyota Extended Warranty you will receive automatic membership of Toyota Roadside Assistance provided by the AA for the length of your cover."

Edited by Auristocrat on 01/04/2016 at 10:45

Toyota Auris - Manufacturer`s extended warranty - Avant

So what happens in years 2 to 5? OK, a Toyota probably won't break down, but there must be something in place.

Toyota Auris - Manufacturer`s extended warranty - Auristocrat

So what happens in years 2 to 5? OK, a Toyota probably won't break down, but there must be something in place.

Like some other manufacturers (Volkswagen, Ford, etc), Toyota provide one year breakdown cover (Roadside Assistance) as part of the new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles in the UK, and 3 years/100,000km in Europe).

At the end of the first year one can choose to renew Toyota Roadside Assistance annually at a price currently of either £72 or £76 (depending how one chooses to pay - interest free monthly direct debit, annual direct debit, or one-off payment by debit/credit card), choose another breakdown cover provider, or go without.

Edited by Auristocrat on 01/04/2016 at 16:18

Toyota Auris - Manufacturer`s extended warranty - Avant

Thanks for that. There are some inconsistencies with breakdown cover which I suspect some buyers don't notice until too late.

The strangest is the difference between VW (one year) and Audi, Skoda and SEAT (all three years). I queried this with VW and their rather feeble excuse was that they were competing with Ford and Vauxhall who only offer one year's cover (who are Skoda competing with for heaven's sake?). And Ford quite reasonably extend the breakdown cover if you have the car serviced at a Ford dealer.

You'd think VW would need all the goodwill they can get - but they just don't 'get' customer service, do they!

Volvo do the same as Ford, but offer three years initially, so the best of both worlds.

Toyota Auris - Manufacturer`s extended warranty - focussed

I have just extended the 3 year pan-european warranty by two years on my Honda Accord tourer. I bought it in the UK and exported it to France. It is valid in all the usual EU countries and also includes Honda breakdown and accident assistance including hotel and hire car costs if the car can't be fixed within 24 hours.

I can also delete the breakdown assistance that comes as standard with car insurance over here but unless you pay extra it only kicks in 25 km from home.

It cost €719 - about £560 at today's exchange rate.

It's just peace of mind really.