Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - Chazdadka

Hi there, i am new here but need some honest feedback and assistance on 2 things. Im thinking of buying a car when i head out to Canada, and ill be mostly on a mountainous ski resort so a 4wd/awd is beneficial.

Firstly, as a general question, what tends to be more fuel efficient out of a constant AWD like subaru and a 4WD where the driver can choose between between the 2 sets of axels? Obviously all other things being equal like engine size, transmission etc.

Secondly, what is the better choice out of a 2004-2005 Subie Forester X 2.5 auto petrol and a 2005 Nissan X-trail again 2.5 auto petrol, in terms of fuel economy and general preference?

Thanks guys!

Edited by Chazdadka on 29/03/2016 at 20:00

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - RobJP

If choosing between those 2, go for the Subaru first. And the Subaru second. And third, and fourth ...

They are extraordinarily well built. Though obviously the car you're buying will be a decade old, so maintenance matters more than anything.

Oh, and fuel economy on those two ? I doubt you'd see any difference worth worrying about in real world driving. The Subaru will be less efficient with the permanent 4*4, but it's also a bit more aerodynamic, so should balance out, or as close as makes no difference.

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - RT

AWD, 4WD, 4X4 are all such general terms with a myriad of different systems that defy all attempts at clear categorisation.

Subaru's advantage and disadvantage is that the default when no slippage is detected still puts a small amount of torque to the rear - this is a disadvantage to economy but advantageous to traction as it acts faster.

I'd echo RobJP's comments - in comparing Subaru with Nissan you aren't comparing like-with-like - unless you're buying US-built versions where build quality standards may differ.

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - daveyjp

I don't expect either to achieve much more than 30mpg and mid 20s is likely regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - Chazdadka

Yea I chose those two as they are both technically midsize/compact SUV with 4wd/awd. If the build quality is whats different then Subaru wins this one. I think fuel is cheap in Canada, around 60p a litre some places.

I just remember seeing an episode of Fifth Gear where they compared all of the SUVs on the market and they flat out rejected the Forester and in the end the Xtrail won, with Rav4 second.

Just needed a second opinion to that. Anyone else remember that episode?

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - RobJP

They rejected the Forester because it wasn't 'trendy' and didn't have those 'soft-touch plastics' so beloved of people who only have to sit in a car for 30 minutes, rather than run around in one for years.

Seriously. Subaru petrol engines are the epitome of reliability. If you want better in a 4*4, then you are looking at the old 'FJ' class Landcruisers.

Oh, and in case you were wondering. No, I don't have a Subaru - though I've owned an Impreza in the past, and my wife has had an Impreza and a Forester previously.

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - kerbed enthusiasm

I have a 2.5 X-trail and it is a very good car. It has proved to be reliable but it is inevitably expensive to fuel. People do have a tendency to consider fuel as the main cost of ownership but it is important to factor in the initial purchase cost, resale values, tax, insurance, and repair costs. If you're doing a small mileage then the fuel costs are corresondingly less significant.

When purchasing the car I also looked at a Subaru Outback 2.5. The running costs were nearly identical but the X-trail offered outstanding comfort (unfortunately this has become an increasingly important consideration!) and a higher driving position. Added to this is the X-trail's extraordinary sunroof which lightens the cabin and hopefully reduces my youngest child's tendency towards multicoloured yawns on journeys of anything over 30 minutes.

If your primary use is to drive into the snowy wastelands of Canada then I'd be much more inclined towards the Subaru. As capable as the X-trail is in snow, the permanent 4WD of the Subaru will make it more surefooted.

The end advice will always be the same: drive both cars before you make your decision but please don't make fuel costs a huge factor unless you are committed to high mileages or unless the cost of fuel in Canada is exorbitant.

Subaru Forester, Nissan X trail - What is more fuel efficient, awd or 4wd? - Ethan Edwards

I had a 2.5 xtrail 03 sve. Excellent in the snow. Mind you I shod mine with proper mud n snow tyres. I think they are the most important thing. My 4wd qashqai also has mud n snow tyres on it right now. You can buy tyres for cheapness or for fancy names or for eco this n that or cos you just want to get there. Me I need to get there to get to work so I don't faff around when it comes to my car.

Whichever you buy dear op just put proper tyres on it and you'll be fine.