BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - srd

currently replacing my 2012 x3 and looking at the newer model (2.0 SE) or a 2.0 land rover discovery sport.

In terms of efficiency and economy they appear on par. I've test drove both, the x3 still feels more of a 'drivers car', though the LR does handle well.

Will spend time on combined roads (rural and motorway) - but the rub is for around 3 months of the year we do get snow in the pennines and I need it to handle. the 2012 x3 was slightly lacking here and occasionally the snow chains had to pop on. I'm not sure of the LR would fare better ...

thoughts appreciared ... in summary - would like something that drives at least as good as the x3 but know it can deal with snow without much hassle.

BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - bazza

What about checking out Subaru Legacy or Outback or Forester, probably more reliable than either of the current contenders. It sounds like you need traction rather than off road ability, so I would be looking more at 4 wheel drive cars/estates rather than an outright off roader like a Discovery. All that extra weight, bulk and inferior dynamics for no real purpose.

BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - RT

What about checking out Subaru Legacy or Outback or Forester, probably more reliable than either of the current contenders. It sounds like you need traction rather than off road ability, so I would be looking more at 4 wheel drive cars/estates rather than an outright off roader like a Discovery. All that extra weight, bulk and inferior dynamics for no real purpose.

Op is referring to Discovery Sport (Freelander 3) not the Discovery itself.

Tyre choice will be more important than car brand in the conditions described - I'd use All-Seasons for 8 months and then full Winters for 4.

BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - daveyjp
A two wheel drive car with winter tyres will be far better in snow than a 4x4 on summers.

I've seen Range Rovers with all the electronic wizardry you can imagine stuck in a flat muddy sports field due to the summer tyres fitted as standard.

My Forester is fitted with Geolander M&S tyres and when it snowed a couple of weeks ago I tried to get it to lose traction from a standing start, but it wouldn't let me, traction control,didn't intervene. It just pulled away.
BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - drd63

Winter tyres in winter on either would seem to be the way forward. The OP was asking about Disco Sport or X3, I'm sure they've given due consideration to their choice and discounted various Subarus so why bother suggesting something they're not considering (with good reason). Personally I'd go for X3, I'm not generally a fan of German cars but in this case the horrendous aesthetics of the Disco from the back would make my decision for me - anyone else think the rear track is too narrow for the body?

BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - slkfanboy

I think either would be fine, just pop on some winter tyres and X3 will be a totally differant beast. Many get narrow steel rims which are far better than the fat tyres in snow.

BMW X3 - new x3 or discovery sport - oldtoffee

The Disco Sport beats the latest X3 and new Merc GLC in all the tests, now it has the new Ingenium engine it seems the best by some margin. If you don't do any off roading, fiellds, bad lanes then the X3 for normal driving may be well suited and a set of winter tyres for the cold snap should give you all the 4wd performance you need.