Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - m25

Hi Everyone! I'm new writing on the forum but have used the site and the forum itself for quite some time now, looking for advice on various topics.

I had a seemingly 'standard' gear shift problem on my 2004 yaris where first and (less pronounced) second gear get tough. The problem was a lot more pronounced when I just got it (used), at the point that the stick would slip into third rather than 1-st sometimes. Changed oil with some Liqui Moly 75w90 and added some of their gear oil additive and it all made a night and day difference.

After all that, it all works fine until at random times, it still gets a bit hard to engage 1-st and 2-nd. The lever suddenly feels like jammed and I have to start pushing slowly the first few millimeters, feeling some hard-rubbing tension under the knob, then it suddenly slips in effortlessly past this sort of barrier like it is supposed to. This only happens at seemingly random times, I'd say more when I downshift in traffic, then after doing it 1-2 times it goes back to working like a charm. Very rarely on cold starts a light snapping click is heared after 1-st is engaged, like a spring but it goes away after 2-3 min and is not related to a hard shift.

My mechanic says this is totally normal on a used car and that I am a maniac but I want to be safe that this is not hiding any bigger problem with the gearbox or something wrong with the clutch.

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - elekie&a/c doctor

Difficult gear selection can often be a sign of a clutch problem.If the gears can be selected ok with engine not running,then I would say the gearbox is fine.

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - RobJP

As elekie says, it's far more likely to be a problem with the clutch (or possibly the clutch release bearing ?), and the gearbox doesn't sound like the culprit.

As to fixing it : well, I suppose you could. But it really is very minor, and is not going to cause damage to the gearbox. Eventually, given enough time and use, the clutch (or release bearing) will fail and need to be replaced. But that could be in 1,000 miles or 50,000 miles. If it's as minor as you indicate, then more likely to be higher than lower.

So all in all, I'd leave it as it is. When the clutch actually fails or is very hard to engage gears look at getting it fixed, but nothing to worry about at present.

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - bathtub tom

I'd have a close look at the joints on the gear linkage.

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - m25

Thank you for the time and answers guys. Will probably check the clutch at the first chance the coming weeks, just to be safe :)

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - madf

Has teh clutch ever been bled?

It is hydraulic. and uses the same reservoir as the brakes.

So try bleeding it first - bleed screw on the slave cylinder

Toyota Yaris - Gearbox or clutch to blame? - mark999

+1 for bleedibg the clutch, well worth a go.

I had terrible trouble with a MK1 yaris gearbox after changing the oil to a castrol synthetic. After many changes of differnt fluids I found Redline MTL to be the solution.

Mark