2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - Pete Mansell

I have the latest Honda Jazz, with just one fault. The tyre deflation warning light comes on every couple of weeks for no reason, and has to be manually reset.

In common with most cars the system works by measuring the rolling circumference of each wheel. To me this seems a very optimistic way of checking for deflation. A quick search on the internet revelas that this is in fact a fairly common problem with many cars, including more than one Honda model.

So far the dealer has failed to come with a cure. Maybe it just neeeds a software tweak to make the system less sensitive.

Has anyone had a similar problem on the Jazz or any other car, and managed to find a cure?

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - elekie&a/c doctor

Interestingly ,cars that use the abs sensors to monitor rolling c/f are a lot more reliable than those that use tyre valve sensors in each wheel,and usually cost loads of money to fix when they break.May seem a silly question,but have you done an accurate check of the tyre pressures?You will be amazed how many people inflate their tyres to the wrong spec,especially that many modern cars list the pressures in Bar or Kpa. Eg,2.1 bar is not 21 psi.

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - RobJP

As elekie says - I and my wife have run a few BMWs with the ABS-type system, and all have been 100% reliable. The newer TPMS-valved systems, on the other hand, are already getting a bit of a reputation for problems - and expense.

I can confirm the tyre pressures are spot on. This was also confirmed by the Honda main dealer.

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - KenC

Is the TPMS warning for one particular tyre ? or all four ?

(assuming it can monitor each tyre indepandanty)

I believe this TPMS system will in time prove to be the ENEMY of the private motorist, in particular the type with the sensor built into the base of the tyre valve.

1. mot failures for tpms faults

2.battery failures on the tmps valves ( increased costs)

3.increased costs when changing tyres eg 100% MORE per wheel.

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - Wackyracer

What tests has the dealer done to assert that there is no problem apart from just checking the tyre pressures?

For a start, I'd check the tyres are all the same size (not that uncommon for a car to be fitted with the wrong profile tyre). Then if the pressures are all correct, get a diagnostic scanner connected up to the car to monitor the ABS wheel sensors and drive the car to make sure they are all reading the same road speed on a straight road. It could be a faulty sensor on one wheel.

The dealer said that they had connected it up to a laptop. It would be interesting to know if the system is capable of pointing to a particular wheel.

He vaguely said that he had seen something on the diagnostics, and thought he had cleared it. Whether this was just resetting the system as I can do myself, I don't know.

Time to take it back, I think!

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - Wackyracer

The dealer said that they had connected it up to a laptop. It would be interesting to know if the system is capable of pointing to a particular wheel.

My diagnostic tool can show road speed for each individual wheel as can most half decent profession ones. I suspect that it is seeing a speed difference outside of the set parameters and assumes a tyre is deflated.

He vaguely said that he had seen something on the diagnostics, and thought he had cleared it.

Probably means there was a fault code stored and in true professional style he cleared the code and hoped the problem had gone away.

Many thanks for the helpful comments. It is booked into the main dealer next week. And I now know quite a bit more about the deflation system, thanks to this forum!

The main dealer had another look at this. They failed to find any cause for the problem, but did say that many other Jazz owners are having the same problem, and that Honda are trying to come up with a fix.

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - edlithgow

The main dealer had another look at this. They failed to find any cause for the problem, but did say that many other Jazz owners are having the same problem, and that Honda are trying to come up with a fix.

They could offer a software tweak that disabled the system completely but reported that everything was OK, so you'd pass an MOT.

I'd buy one, but then I have a tyre pressure guage anyway.

Oh wait... you said Honda, not VW...pity.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/04/2016 at 11:22

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - focussed

They could offer a software tweak that disabled the system completely but reported that everything was OK, so you'd pass an MOT.

I'd buy one, but then I have a tyre pressure guage anyway.

Oh wait... you said Honda, not VW...pity.

Yes but unlike Der Wurst German Car company - they will come up with a fix!

Unbelievably, after a full 12 months, Honda have still failed to fix this. They had the car in last week for 2 full days, just for this fault. Amongst other things, they udated the software, and they say they have been in contact with Honda again..

I drove about 200 miles this weekend, and the deflation warning came on twice, each time whilst doing about 70 on the motorway.

To say I am getting fed up with this is an understatement!

Some progress, I think! Apparently this fault is common with the current Jazz, and the Honda CRV.

Working with Honda, the main dealer tracked my problem to one of the tyres. The car came fitted as new with Michelin Energy tyres, but when just 6 weeks old, one tyre had to replaced due to a puncture. And they say a slight mismatch between the original and replacement tyre was causing the problem, even though all Michelin Energy and all the same mileage to within 800 miles.

They managed to find a replacement tyre with the correct mileage from a stock car and swapped with my original, and they say it should now be OK.

Although the deflation warning problem appeared with my car before the puncture, they say it was then a software problem, which has now been updated.

As things stand, any of these cars should always have tyres swapped in pairs for the system to work. The dealer acknowloges this is unnaceptable, and is pushing Honda to come up with something better.

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - catsdad
I hope this works but aren't you sceptical on the tyre wear suggestion? To say 800 miles wear is significant and that they've found a matching worn tyre sound like they're clutching at straws.

My Civic has slight but measurable wear differences between tyres on the same axle and much wider differences front to back without setting off TPMS. It's only operated in anger once and that was due to a slow puncture. It was probably only 10% down and looked fine but I've no idea how that relates to the rotation measurements used by the system.

Although your dealer and Honda have been struggling for so long, a software update is mentioned on a US Fit (ie. Jazz) site and I'd bet (and hope) that will prove to be the solution.
2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - Richard Ian West

I bought a mark 1 Jazz about 20 years ago and it had this tyre deflation problem then, I seem to recall. I bought the hybrid Crosstar 4 weeks ago and STILL the same problem. Each time I take it on the motorway, the deflation light comes on but there is no problem - on a car that has done less than 300 miles! I gave up a Kia Venga for the Jazz, but am already regretting it. the Venga had a much more sophisticated and reliable tyre pressure system which told you which tyre was deflated, it never came on when there wasn't a problem, it never got it wrong and it automatically reset when the tyre was reflated. If Kia can do it, why can't Honda?

2016 Honda Jazz - Tyre Deflation System - blindspot

having the same problems with 2017 yaris. just come in from checking all 4 tyres and reseting TPMS. hope the light stays off tomorrow been going on and off periodically for weeks. have already replaced two valves. they really are temperamental thing's