VW Golf GTI Mk VI - No compression means new engine..? - Martinofwinch

Our 2010 Golf GTI (c72k miles) failed to start on Monday - previously extremely reliable. It was towed to a VW dealer who eventually advises that there is no compression on any cylinder and is unsure what may have caused the problem - maybe timing belt? He advises it may well be that the only solution is a new engine.

Is this fault common in Golfs, GTI or otherwise? Is there conceivably another solution that avoids the no-doubt huge expense of a new engine? And if there is no other solution, is it worth asking VW for a goodwill contribution?

Opinions or advice would be welcome.

VW Golf GTI Mk VI - No compression means new engine..? - RobJP

It's moderately common on VW (and other VAG) cars where the timing belts haven't been changed at the recommended mileage/age.

If it has all been serviced properly - by VW - then your chances of goodwill should be reasonable, at least. But bear in mind that VW will be the most expensive place to get the work done.

For example, lets say that VW quote you £6k for a new engine and fitting, but will give you 25% off. So £4.5k

Whereas a professional engine rebuilder might quote you £2k to rebuild your engine.

All figures are random illustrations, of course.

VW Golf GTI Mk VI - No compression means new engine..? - anted

My commiserations. I once had a very unsettling experience where my 2009 Passat cut out whilst overtaking a lorry. Nearly killed my family of 4. Roadside assistance advised that it was probably the timing belt so I had it recovered to VW dealership. From memory they quoted between £6000-£8000 for a new engine. Even though the timing belt has been changed at 120,000 miles and the failure was at 132,000 miles, they blamed the auxiliary belt having wrapped itself around some other component and caused the timing belt to slip. There were other factors which I won't go into here but I still have my doubts about the precise cause.

I collected the key and a friend towed it to my independent garage who replaced two camshafts and associated components, rebuilt the top of the engine for about £2000.

It was the early 2.0TDI 110bhp bluemotion model which apparently is fitted with camshaft lobes which slide round when the timing belt fails in order to protect valves etc. from bending (forgive me, I'm the opposite of technically minded). Perhaps yours is similar?

My instinct would be caution about going with the main dealer. Get a second independent opinion if you can. Even components used by an independent are covered by the VW two-year guarantee if they fail again.

Good luck. Anted

VW Golf GTI Mk VI - No compression means new engine..? - gordonbennet

Brilliant dealer, no compression guv, haven't a clue why, suggest new engine will cure it.

My suggestion is to drive away from that place of lunacy with your car on a trailer as quickly as possible making the sign of the cross with your fingers in their direction, and as above, let a mechanic have a good poke nose and see what he can come up with.