Road tax - colsan
I recently bought a Skoda Fabia from a dealership and with the deal was 6 months road tax paid for by the garage. However, due to steering wheel problems it went back to their garage to be fixed but was really disappointed by the lack of customer service and how I was made to feel like an inconvenience for enquiring about how long it would be until I had my car back considering I only had it a few days previous.
Over two weeks later, I ask for a full refund when they said that the car was miraculously fixed but it wasn't and I was given a full refund and I even had to sort out the part finance agreement which was a complete headache and they should have resolved it on my behalf so I was told.

My issue however is that the dvla have sent a cheque to me (in my name) for a refund of road tax and the dealer are becoming quite aggressive and everyday asking for their money back!!
I'm so annoyed about the way I was treated that I'm dragging my heels about it!

Bearing in mind that the cheque is in my name, would you give them the money back or not??? Am I breaking the law? I just want to give them a taste of their own medicine really!!
Road tax - NARU

As they paid for it, it's their money.

They did do the right thing and take the car back - I guess with an extra owner on the V5. THough I'd be tempted to drag my heels too. AFter all, if you don't have a car, how are you supposed to get it to them?

Perhaps they should come and collect the payment?

Road tax - FoxyJukebox

The money belongs to the garage.

Road tax - RobJP

The money belongs to the garage.

It's a toughie. But yes, I agree with you.

If the OP had paid the car tax themselves, then the refund would obviously be theirs to keep. But the garage paid it, so the money should go back to where it came from.

Road tax - Doc

Any full months of vehicle tax is refunded to the person named on the current V5C if sold or transferred.

I think the money is yours. It does not matter who paid it in the first place.

I would be inclined to let the garage pursue you through the courts; I don't think they would be successful.

Edited by Doc on 03/03/2016 at 09:35

Road tax - RT

Any full months of vehicle tax is refunded to the person named on the current V5C if sold or transferred.

I think the money is yours. It does not matter who paid it in the first place.

I would be inclined to let the garage pursue you through the courts; I don't think they would be successful.

Unethical and immoral - the provision for full refund under consumer law is intended to put the customer in the same financial position as prior to the purchase - there's no provision for profit or compensation.

Road tax - daveyjp

However if OP has been inconvenienced by the garage's incompetence I'd put it to the garage that the refund is recompense for time he has spent sorting the matter out. 6 months VED isn't thousands of pounds.

This should be set out in a letter to the garage with details of the time the OP have spent doing the garage's job, applying £18 an hour for the time taken.

Road tax - yeoman

The OP says the garage gave him a full refund. So he has already been fully refunded for the car and the 6 month's road tax. So far he has only returned the car. He owes the garage the cost of the tax.

Road tax - galileo

He was without the car for two weeks, he should suggest to the garage that the cost of the road tax was less than he had to spend on public transport/hire cars, what is their response to that?

Road tax - primus 1

Probably best to give the money back and have done with it and avoid it dragging out over weeks/months

Road tax - Smileyman

if you are financially out of pocket then approach the garage to have your costs made good, perhaps you will settle for the value of the road fund licence refund