Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - digbydel

Car has done 10K miles from new. Since its last service a year ago it has only done 5.5K miles. Annual service is due and has been booked-in – to be completed in two weeks' time. Are these messages likely to be honest and valid? What does "Oil at 1%"really mean please? Garage says: don't drive it til you're bringing it in for the service.

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - Peter D

Hve you checked the oil level. Regards Peter

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - digbydel

Yes Peter, dip stick is still showing "full"; it doesn't use any oil between services. If it had a diesel engine I could maybe understand - if maybe the DPF had dumped some diesel oil into the sump,.. then maybe my engine oil might have been diluted and might then self--ignite and my car might then eventually burst into flames - as so many diesels seem to do ;o). But this is a petrol engined Astra. Thanks for your interest.

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - craig-pd130

What does the owner's manual say?

Perhaps the 'oil at 1%' message means that it's approaching the end of its intended service life, and is just part of the ECU's nagging programme aimed at getting you booked in for a service.

The current generation of Volvos starts counting down to the service a month before it is due, flashing up a 'Book Service' message EVERY time you start the car. It's not irritating at ALL.

If your dipstick shows full, the oil doesn't stink of petrol, the engine isn't using any coolant, and there are no unusual noises from it, I would just continue driving as normal until the service.

What does the owner's manual say?

Perhaps the 'oil at 1%' message means that it's approaching the end of its intended service life, and is just part of the ECU's nagging programme aimed at getting you booked in for a service.

The current generation of Volvos starts counting down to the service a month before it is due, flashing up a 'Book Service' message EVERY time you start the car. It's not irritating at ALL.

If your dipstick shows full, the oil doesn't stink of petrol, the engine isn't using any coolant, and there are no unusual noises from it, I would just continue driving as normal until the service.

Owner's manual give no clues. I'm sure you're right: it must surely be, as you say, "just part of the ECU's nagging programme aimed at getting you booked in for a service". But when the service team said: don't drive it til you come in for service, that's surely a bit rich. Right now, I've a daughter-in-law who - over the next few days - is about to go into labour,... and I was thinking: am I going to have to get a taxi to take her into hospital? Thanks everso for your thoughts on this.

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - Wackyracer

Unless the GM oil monitoring system has changed without my knowledge, It just uses an algorithm that is calculated using data from the sensors connected to the ECU. It does not directly have any way of testing the quality of the oil.

I'd agree with Craig, If the oil looks and smells OK then it should be fine to drive until the service.

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - bathtub tom

>> Garage says: don't drive it til you're bringing it in for the service.

Who told you that? Some recent school leaver manning the phones, or perhaps a salesman?

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - John F

What does "Oil at 1%"really mean please? Garage says: don't drive it til you're bringing it in for the service.

I guess its brainless computer has calculated 361days since the last service. It is trying to convey the absurd belief that your oil will significantly lose its lubricity and protective qualities at the stroke of the 365th midnight.

Use your common sense allied to a bit of basic scientific knowledge (physics and chemistry A levels will do) and remember that this site is patrolled by many whose living depends on strict adherence to the dogma of manufacturers' sales departments. Any dissention sometimes results in invective so unpleasant that it requires the attention of a moderator.

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - RT

What does "Oil at 1%"really mean please? Garage says: don't drive it til you're bringing it in for the service.

I guess its brainless computer has calculated 361days since the last service. It is trying to convey the absurd belief that your oil will significantly lose its lubricity and protective qualities at the stroke of the 365th midnight.

Use your common sense allied to a bit of basic scientific knowledge (physics and chemistry A levels will do) and remember that this site is patrolled by many whose living depends on strict adherence to the dogma of manufacturers' sales departments. Any dissention sometimes results in invective so unpleasant that it requires the attention of a moderator.

It'll actually use an algorithm based on throttle opening and number of cold starts as well as mileage - so if you drive a car hard it'll signal an oil change earlier.

You're well known here for using exceptionally long change intervals - no-one else who cares about cars does that.

Fresh oil gets rid of contaminants as well as maintaining lubricity.

Edited by RT on 03/03/2016 at 10:29

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - John F

You're well known here for using exceptionally long change intervals - no-one else who cares about cars does that.

I would not describe a couple of years for a car that only does five or six thousand miles a year as 'exceptionally long'. However, I do admit my TR7 only gets an oil change every five years or so, but then it only does a few hundred miles a year now, and it has never ever gone more than 6000m between oil changes. At 36yrs old and 70,000m, it still runs sweetly and uses virtually no oil...and no coolant. I'll let you know when something eventually gives...!

Fresh oil gets rid of contaminants........

This makes no sense to me at all. Please elaborate. What 'contaminants'?

Vauxhall Astra SE 1.6 Petrol 2014 - Warning message: "Change engine oil" + "Oil at 1%" - FoxyJukebox

Common sense tells me that all sorts of other mechanical failures would already be evident if your oil quality was THAT seriously rock bottom. With plenty of oil in the sump,no petrol smells and the low mileage registered -I wouldn't worry at all....although -of course-have your oil changed once a year--which is what you are intending to do.