Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - BobsyourUncle

We're lead to believe that new car sales figures have been breaking records for the last 3-4 years. We're also lead to believe that a increasing proportion of these sales are PCP deals (anything between 40% and 65% depending on where you lok!)

Taking those figures in isolation, that means there's probably 2,500 - 4,000 Mazdas alone that are reaching the end of a PCP term (allowing for a those that might have been written-off, exported, bought on shorter/longer term deals etc), based on their UK sales figures for March 2013 of around 8,500. That's not including demonstrators, which seems to represent a large chunk of the selection on sale at the moment. I'd imagine the vast majority of these will be handed back, sold on or traded in.

There's currently around 700 Mazdas on Autotrader (and doubtless that's where 95% of them will be advertised), so if the earlier figures are even remotely close to the mark, this should change a bit soon!

We're either on the precipice of a huge increase in supply of Mazda vehicles - and prices dropping like a rock, or there's something going on with those "record sales" figures.... ;)

NB I haven't looked at other manfacturers coz I'm not interested in replacing my old Mazda with anything else!

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - RobJP

It won't make any appreciable difference.

When the leases come to an end, if supply is high/prices low then dealers will just hold stock back off the market for a month or 2, till prices push back up.

There comes a point where that does more harm than good though, surely?

If you have stock that sits doing nothing for months, a new plate comes along and those cars lose value, while yet more stock piles up waiting for "the right market conditions".

You'd think that eventually they HAVE to put them on or risk losing on them in the long run. Market forces and oversupply can't be indefinitely postponed.

Then again, perhaps I'm being blissfully naive about this? Is there some sort of secondary market that a Joe Bloggs like me isn't aware of, that swallows up the majority of PCP trade-ins?

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - RobJP

The delay is in weeks, rather than months, generally.

Do bear in mind that most ex-PCP cars will be offered to the dealership network first. Once they've decided what they want, the rest will go off to BCA / Mannheim, and be sold (generally) to the trade that way.

Whichever route a car might take, even without being 'held back', it'll take anything up to a month to reach the forecourt, thus avoiding the mass 'market dump'.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - madf

Just don't buy a diesel Mazda...

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - gordonbennet

Rental fleets put them on the road in huge batches, there's no way the maker is going to allow that number to hit the market all at once come defleet time.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - davecooper

I always thought that the increasing popularity of PCP type deals would affect the used car market due to more people buying new. However, out of my office of forty people, I only know of four who have their cars on PCP, myself included. Now and then people around me ask questions about PCP but then decide to buy used. A friend has asked if I would consider selling him my car (a Mazda by the way) when my contract is up which I am considering.

There is a large used car dealers close to me which is on two sites, one site dealing in so called prestige cars. They are having to buy more land to carry stock which seems to turn over fairly quickly. It does seem that the used car market is still pretty healthy.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - jgrahampo

I looked at PCP but could see no benefit over a personal lease. In fact the PCP was far costlier.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - Wolfan

I always thought that the increasing popularity of PCP type deals would affect the used car market due to more people buying new. However, out of my office of forty people, I only know of four who have their cars on PCP, myself included. Now and then people around me ask questions about PCP but then decide to buy used. A friend has asked if I would consider selling him my car (a Mazda by the way) when my contract is up which I am considering.

I have never bought new due to financial considerations, always prefering to let the original purchaser suffer the high cost of depreciation. A new car on the drive has never been important. A cash purchase when the car is still under manufactures warranty but a large part of the initial price has been absorbed by others has been my criteria. I have a weekly shopping trolley and general runnabout also a luxury express which looks like an old man's car but goes like a boy racers both of which were originally British marques. Taxing, insuring and the running costs of them both are considerably less than the depreciation of buying the shopping trolly new.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - TR7
Haven't heard of any problems with skyactiv diesels
Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - Warning

I was looking at the Mazda 6 (old shape), at the moment, I am struggling to find the perfect car. Those 700 Mazda on Autotrader are spread throughout the country. Some are over priced (even though old shape) or have suspect history....

Example :

(1) A 2012 model which had 2 owners has 20,000 miles on the clock, seems suspect to me.

(2) A Mazda dealer had a 2010 Mazda 6 fopr £7,000, though Parkers says the valuation should be £4,400. (Some were available at £5,000, but did not fancy driving to a dealership in Wales!).

Even if Mazda have sold 8,500 in March 2013, they would cover a wide range of models, trim, colour and fuel type.

Many of the cars on sale seem to be diesel, which is great for company car driver due to tax, but some of us prefer quieter petrol engines (so I can listen to my music!).

For me the new shape Mazda 6, are pointless, as they only come in Saloon edition. I want hatchback!

Edited by Warning on 05/03/2016 at 14:25

Think I'm going to look elsewhere now. 6's are just too overpriced for my liking - even 3 year old, 25k models they want £15k for, should be closer to £10k AFAIC. I've seen the odd 5 series with not too many more miles for that kind of money.

1 yeard old ex-demo's with 5k they want upwards of £20k for. Ha ha ha. I guess there must be gullible idiots out there paying it, or they wouldn't list them that high.

Might look at Kia or Hyundai wagons. Seem much more reasonable.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - TR7
I bought a 2014 Mazda 6 saloon for £12500 six months ago with 27k on the clock. Absolutely no problems fast when you need it to be and great on diesel. I am an engineer and carry a lot of kit but the saloon boot is huge and has a good opening seats fold flat if you need them to.
Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - Engineer Andy

There appears to be a death of second hand Mazdas at the moment, especially nearly-new: my local dealership has much less in stock than a year ago, and Motorpoint had (the other day) only 5 on their books. In contrast, they were trying to flog 500 VWs, including many with delivery miles only. Sounds more like people like their Mazdas and don't want to sell them, and Mazda UK are getting their new stock levels right (a lack of newly new/del miles stock available).

I like the new 6, more than the 3 (I prefer the saloon), but its too big for my needs.

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - Big John

Has Mazda sorted the diesel DPF issue now?

A friend of mine had a 2010 Mazda 6 from new until recently and from new had major DPF issues - even had to be recovered when 600 miles old!

The dealer struggled with the car for quite a few months but after this the car went on to be perfectly reliable for the rest of their ownership

Edited by Big John on 20/03/2016 at 09:24

Bad Time to Buy a Used Mazda? - slkfanboy

It's good news for buying used as the prices are going down.

The PCP companies may not be so lucky as they not going to be makes their margins. 5%-10% less then the guaranteed. In the long term that means PCP will be more expensive and less companies too. So people who have PCP agreements might not be so happy when they have purchase a car and the PCP cost of replacement is more than they planned!