Toyota Hilux 2015 - Dash Cam - Roadburner

I wanted to have fitted a Black Vue dash cam, Toyota are telling me that if it is hard wired it could void the warranty.

I re contacted the shop they say that Dealers often say this to get round it we could fit a piggy back sytem via the fuse box...so that would not affect the sytem or warrant.

So I now do not know what to do apart from contact trading standards for their opinion.

Opinions or facts please

Toyota Hilux 2015 - Dash Cam - gordonbennet

What about if Toyota themselves hard wire it in for you.

I can understand their reluctance to endorse presumably others tinkering, seeing some of the bodgit and scarper wiring messes made by the various cowboys who have fitted our lorry's blower/hydraulic switching plus phones/trackers/telemetry tracking/dashcams often resulting in hacked dashboards trapped or hanging wiring etc etc i would be wary too.

Can you find an old school sparky, this is what i did with my Hilux for extra interior lights, extra reverse lights, towbar wiring, f/r parking sensors etc, never caused a moments problem and nothing ever mentioned at the dealership.

Is the dealer a town based or chain, you might get a better response from a more rural area indy dealer who's mechs and service staff know Hilux is still old school (all the better for it) and not fitted with electronic junk likely to have a hissy fit for no reason at all.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/02/2016 at 11:32

Toyota Hilux 2015 - Dash Cam - elekie&a/c doctor
If it is done correctly with its own fused supply,possibly from the cabin fuse box,then I can,t see it being a problem.there may even be an unused position in the fuse box that could be used.Take it to a competent electric techie.