Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - Davidfrance

My latest 2nd hand car, a 2012 Audi A4 with Quattro, was delivered with an out of shape 18" alloy wheel (front left) which caused a lot of vbrations at high speed. Took it back to the garage and they replaced it under g'tee. However, if the previous owner had driven like this for 10-20k, what else could have been damaged behind the wheel ? (not convinced that just replacing the wheel has completely solved the problem).

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - xtrailman

I don't think the previous owner would have driven like that for long?

Wheel bearings don't like that sort of thing, but i wouldn't be concerned myself.

Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - Ian D
Suspension bushes may take some wear, wheel bearings may have increased loads and so increased wear but these will be obvious by rumbling noises/clunks/MOT fails, probably no worse than a car that drives over speed bumps occasionally, as above, I would not worry...
Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - Peter.N.

As above, I'm pretty sure that if there was a problem you would notice it. The suspension continually copes with shock and vibration, that's what its designed for. If it drives OK don't worry about it.

Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - Davidfrance

The symptom I have is rumbling noises between 50 and 70 mph - the car really doesn't feel good at this speed. damaged wheel bearing ?

Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - xtrailman

I was told when i ran a Quattro, my first 4x4, that the tyres should all be within 3 mm of each other.

I would also get the alignment and balancing checked, My A4 was solid right up to 120mph, i didnt go to the 145mph limit. And the 120 was only for a short bust.

Audi A4 with Quattro - Consequences of driving with damaged alloy wheel - Big John

I'd second the reply re the need for tyres to be within a few mm on a 4x4. I'f you have just had a new tyre fitted on the new alloy this could upset things.

It's because it effictively puts the differentials/Haldex under stress