Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - Janmac41

Hi, want some advice have found July 2014 model on sale 14000 miles on clock. Trading in June 2003 petroll 1.6l petrol 118650 miles Price on car was £13995 have haggled that to £13600. Have been offered £750 if I trade Beetle in. Would plan to take bank loan for £7500 ( can get 3.3% apr with m&s bank repayments £218 X 36months and pay the rest with savings using a credit card to hand over some of deposit so I have the extra security that using a credit offers and paying off the card before I incur any credit card interest charges. The car is used for work not just commuting and I don't want to take the depreciation hit of buying new. My brother telling me I should buy new on PCP or hirer purchase. I would also plan to get AA or equivalent background check on car. Any advice appreciated

Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - Big John

How many miles a year do you do?

Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - Janmac41

Previously would have been average of 800 a month may be more with new job

Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - Big John

I did something very similar in May/June 2015 when I did a deal on a 14 plate 14 month old Skoda Superb 1.4tsi with 14k miles (blimey lots of1's & 4's) for just over £10k. I was offered a low price for my old Superb but sold it privately giving someone else the benefit (whilst I was with the dealer!)

I try to buy cheap (but nearly new) and ignore future depreciation because my annual mileage (16k) quickly reduces the value to not a lot - I tend to keep cars a long time thereafter (10 years with my last car - another Skoda Superb bought at 18 months old)

I usually target a car that is at the end of it's model life (new one launched Sept 2015) for two reasons:-

>So that the purchase price would be palatable (nearly 50% off from new in my case)

>Any issues with the particular model have been ironed out

Buying nearly new works with bigger cars (which I need for now) but for small cars I believe buying new but with a larger discounts from websites such as drivethedeal or carfile.net is probably better - yet again you won't get big discounts on a new model so the above still applies

Edited by Big John on 17/01/2016 at 22:31

Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - slkfanboy

Slightly differant appoach. Used car are real bagin these days with the arrival of super low interest rates enabling many to purchase new on a PCP! Which means after 3yrs and around 10k a year they have to sell or replace the car. This has totally depressed the used car market!

Further a mobility schema car are sold with a full service plan for 3yrs.

Thats great news for me a 3 year old 20k dealer purchased ford focus 1.6 Zetec for 8K all in. Full service history and runs like new and clean inside.

Happy days I have 6K in the bank and they take my old car away for 2K. Happy motoring for the last year and to think i could have piad 18K for a new one!

Most like if i keep the car 5 years (it will be 8) and should get around 2.5K-3K losing 5/5.5K so costing £1750 a year verses £4000 a years of the new car. Big bonus no monthly payments meaning money in the bank or an upgrade to my other car a Merc SLK, something for the weekend sir?

UPDATE emailed dealer to find out if car had been in any accidents or sustatained any damage. He emailed back asking me to call him. When I called he said when the car was being valeted the guy noticed that the paint on the passenger wing varied from the rest of the car. I asked if he could find out how this had happened. I was thinking it could be anything from someone being careless with a shopping trolley to a full blown collision with damage to axle. I mailed stating I would be now resistant to pay asking price without having more details. Dealer mailed back saying they were confident in the car and I was welcome to bring my own body man ( cause we all have our own body men ??) To look at the car. I see AA do a presale check with guarantee but are not available in N. Ireland tried one other site they charge to same as AA but no guarantee. Any suggestions/Advice love the car but don't want to be saddled with a pig in a poke!!

Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6 diesel lux model - Buying and financing used car - RobJP

Lots of cars pick up bumps and scrapes. It's no big deal.

But if you aren't sure, walk away, go for something else.