Ka with new engine - AndyT
Has anyone driven both types of Ka to compare old with new?

My wife is thinking about changing from her '93 Clio diesel to a new Ka, and can get a better deal on the old pushrod type. I was just wondering how performance and mpg compare in the real world.

I was of the opinion that the older engine at least would be well proven, whereas the newer ohc may be yet to be ironed out so to speak.

In fact, she had a drive in a pushrod today and was quite happy with the performance.
Ka with new engine - DavidHM
How much is she thinking of paying for each version?

Perosnally I'd go for the new one. The old one has a reputation for having plugs stick in the head (oops, that'll be a new engine) and gets very tappety and noisy very quickly. Even ones with 10,000 miles on can be noticeably noisier than new, although coming from a ten year old diesel that probably won't be such a problem.

Also, irrespective of the performance, economy is better A bit of haggling or shopping around should get you the new one for about £5500, as against £5k for the old one. If you keep the car for three years and 30k, you should get back an extra £200 for the new engine and will save about £300 in petrol (47 vs 42 mpg, at least in theory) so it's financially neutral, at least until the new one needs a cam belt change.

Another point is that the old one will have been standing for at least 5 months now, as production stopped around October. This probably won't have done the car too much harm but it is another factor to consider.
Ka with new engine - mab23

I had plugs rusted into the head of my Ka, didn't need a new engine however I had to get the plugs drilled out of the cylinder head and a new cylinder head I think.

Total cost was around 250 quid at a back-street garage along with some other bits and pieces. God knows how much it would have cost at a Ford garage.

mike
Ka with new engine - Pete F
The 'new' engine has been in production for several years, although initially in 1.6 form, as it is used in other markets than Europe.
Ka with new engine - Carl2
I know this subject was debated a while ago but was it established that this engine is an ohc. Only the other day I read that this engine was a reworked version of the push rod engine. If it was formally the push rod engine I find it hard to believe it is now an ohc.
Ka with new engine - Pete F
Just to clarify again. The new engine is OHC which replaces the pushrod 1.3. It has a new cylinder head and block casting compared with the pushrod engine.

People persist in saying it's based on the 'ancient' Fiesta engine but this is rather like the saying about the woodcutters axe, which was original apart from 4 new blades and 3 new handles.
Ka with new engine - blank
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/index.htm?news_id=1004

Hope nobody will mind me pulling this out of the new archive. should clear up confusion for those who haven\'t read it
Andy

Ford has cleared up a bit of confusion out there by officially announcing its new 70bhp Ka engine.

Though this is derived from the ancient 1,299cc iron block pushrod lump that has powered small Fords since 1959, it has a completely new chain-driven overhead-cam light alloy cylinder head. This not only eliminates the old problem of spark plugs rusting into the head, but also gives the Ka a useful power increase, better economy and better performance.

0-60 is now down to 13.4 seconds, top speed is up to 104mph, economy improves to 43.5mpg on the combined cycle, the engine is Euro 4 emissions compliant, CO2 output is 154g/km (Band C currently £120pa VED), and insurance remains in low Group 2E.

Together with the Street Ka and Sport Ka which arrive in a few months time, this is going to win the Ka a lot of new friends.

Particularly at drivethedeal\'s price of £5,500. (Normal prices £6,495 - £9,695.)