Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Sue207

Would be grateful for any advice on this problem, put a litre of top up oil in my car as selected by member of staff in halfords. After one short journey had a top end rattle in the engine. Manager at Halfords checked it over, didn't think it connected to the top up oil and suggested going to my garage, who said it needed a new engine! I sought a second opinion who said their is a small injector or pump to fire the oil to the top of the engine and the wrong oil will seize it hence the rattle, tho can't be sure until he get the car and checks. He would change the timing chain etc at the same time as well as the damaged part. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Oil recommended was 0W-40 synthetic by Mobile which I have never used usually get 5W-30. Oil is not overfilled, car running as normal apart from the loud rattle, oil pressure etc okay. Engine is the VW/Seat one with timing chain. Admit it is a long time since it was serviced well over two years but still nowhere near service based on millage. Thanks

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - elekie&a/c doctor

Seems to be a lot of misinformation here.Firstly,the engine is a Peugeot/Mini engine,nothing related to the Vw/Seat variety.the correct oil is 5/30 or 5/40.Putting in 1 litre of the wrong oil is not going to make much difference immediately.There is no pump to fire oil into the top of the engine.Unfortunately this engine is prone to timing chain rattle/worn chain tensioner and with your extended oil/filter change has probably exacerbated the problem.

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Oli rag

I would think the fact that the oil level was very low (you had to put 1Ltr in to top up) and the engine had not had an oil change for 2 years would be more of a problem than the wrong grade of oil being used.

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Cyd

Although the viscosity curves of SAE 30 and 40 oils are very close at 80C there is a considerable tolerance allowed in the SAE standards. Mobil 1 is at the "thinnner" end of tolerance than other oils. It may be that this has affected the way the hydraulic tappets pump up.

Also if you haven't done the mileage for an oil change in 2 years then I would say you are a low mileage user and this should be classed as arduous conditions. You should follow HJs advice and change the oil at least once per year, preferably twice.

My suggestion is that in the first instance you take the car to a trusted local mechanic and have a oil change with proper flush carried out (by which I mean using flush oil not additive followed by a short flush with half the correct engine oil using a new filter for the flushes). Make sure you use a good quality oil of the correct grade (5W30 - there's plenty of good oils of this grade).

Any issues with the timing chain and/or tensioner are IMO most likely due to the lack of care than the Mobil 1, evn if it's the Mobil 1 that's brought any issues to light.

If after an oil change the noise persists, take the car to an old school mechanic who can listen to the noise to identify potential cause and can then inspect to confirm.

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - gordonbennet

Agree fully with Cyd and the others, oil been in two plus years and then low to boot.

The slight differences in oil grade would not account for this.

Thanks everyone for your answers, especially Cyd, really helpful. Have to face the fact that I am guilty of taking a very reliable car for granted and being too reliant on the reminders for service and oil top up. Also car went from high milage to short distance town driving in last 3 years which i don't think he likes. Harsh lessons :(

Edited by Sue207 on 28/12/2015 at 00:23

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Wackyracer
If your doing short distance town driving only it is essential to change the oil and filter at least every 12months.
Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Cyd

Sue

Reading your OP again, other than a top end rattle (which could be anything or nothing), you haven't actually said what either mechanic believed was the cause !!! The second said he'd change the chain, but only because he'd have it apart anyway.

So, what is the apparent cause of the rattle?

Whatever it is, it hasn't caused the engine to self destruct. So I still think an oil change is in order, followed by the advice of a good old school mechanic with a keen ear for odd noises (if it's still there).

Edited by Cyd on 28/12/2015 at 13:29

Well, the manager at Halfords thought it sounded like a belt slipping and said did I think I could of spilt some of the oil which may of found its way through to a belt/chain, my regular garage said this was rubbish, however he then said when you start taking the engine apart and replacing parts you can find you still haven't got to the problem and have cost the customer hundreds of pounds and they still need a new engine so they suggested a new or recon engine and were going to phone me back the same day with some prices (two weeks ago now) Am a little annoyed that as they have maintained the vehicle for 2.5 years they have never suggested the service and when I asked earlier this year if it should be done they said it was now where near time but was up to me, and with more pressing bills and the fact that it was running fine I didn't. Anyhow latest mechanic was recommended by a friend and I have only spoken to him on the phone (he's collecting the car tomorrow) And said he will know when he hears it for himself and as you suggest is puzzled that it is still running ok (albeit noisely) he refered to the valve that pumps or fires the oil to the top of the engine and said it can get stuck open sometimes and this can be caused by the wrong oil but he will know for sure when he gets the car. (obviously he described it a bit more technically than me!!) I will discuss with him the oil flushing first but he doesn't seem to think it as serious as my garage suggested. I have gathered over time that this model is known for being sensitive about oil and an ongoing problem seems to be the anti pollution sensor which is also dear to get sorted out. As you can tell I don't have much knowledge about cars!! Thanks

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - quizman

You really ought to take several posters advice and get the oil and filter changed for the correct 5W/40 oil, then see what happens. My son had a Peugeot car and that engine rattled for years!

If I were you I would go to a proper garage and not Halfords. They can't even tell you which is the correct oil.

If the car is in the UK it will make no difference at all using 0w40 or 5w40.

Thanks again to all for your advice, its such a worry when you're suddenly told your car is in such a bad way it needs a new/recon engine!! A mechanic from out of the area has colleced, diagnoised and repared my car in no time at all. As you all thought oil must of been a coincidence as it was a crankshaft diffuser pulley and belt and is now as good as new. He said its a lovely genuine car with an excellent engine!!!

Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - John F

.... As you all thought oil must of been a coincidence as it was a crankshaft diffuser pulley and belt and is now as good as new.

Not all....some of the usual fear-mongering dogma about the sin of not changing oil every year.

Thanks for the update - first I've heard of a 'diffuser pulley' problem. Is this the same problem as the renowned rattly Renault dephaser pulley? I thought Pugs were a cut above Renault in engineering reliability.

Probably one of those 2 part crank pulleys held together with a rubber band in the middle.
Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - galileo
Probably one of those 2 part crank pulleys held together with a rubber band in the middle.

The company I worked for made this type of vibration damper by the thousand for most UK car makers; usually they would last the life of the engine. The 'rubber band' was made of in-house manufactured rubber of carefully controlled stiffness for each application.

I was guessing Galileo as I didn't recognise the description. One of my cars has this type of pulley and although it is still serviceable, it does have some cracks in the rubber.

On the other hand the OP's problem could be one of those free wheeling type alternator pulleys as they can make a noise when their bearing wear out.
Peugeot 207 1.4i (07) - Engine rattle after oil top up - Gibbo_Wirral

Admit it is a long time since it was serviced well over two years but still nowhere near service based on millage. Thanks

Make sure you read the intervals correctly. Its generally two years or 20,000 miles, but more importantly - whichever comes first.