BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - meldrew

I live in a heavily populated BMW area and have yet to see a 2 Series coupe on the road. Is this a marketing clanger or a potential rareity?!

I am curious because Mrs M has a 3 coupe which although she loves it to bits will ultimately need to be changed.

BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - RobJP

They're relatively expensive (in my opinion). Because the 4 series coupe is built on the 3 series platform, it's built in far larger numbers - meaning that discounts tend to be better on the 4 than for the 2 coupe.

So for virtually the same price, you can get a better equipped larger car.

Although I do have to admit, BMW seem to be going into market fragmentation to a ridiculous level.

The 3 series is a saloon, estate or GT (5 door hatch). Then you have the 4 series, which is a 3 series with 3 doors as coupe of convertible.

Then the 4 series 'gran coupe' which is a 4 door version of the coupe, which was a 3 door version of the 4 door saloon.

Confused yet ?

BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - meldrew

Confused. Certainly am! I will suggest Mrs M gets to like a good spec saloon though despite being a pensioner (and a very competent driver) she does like a sporty image.

Interesting comment on the relative discounts for the four and the two though.

TVM!

BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - daveyjp

My brother in law has the original car - a 1 series coupe.

They don't sell because they are too compromised. The original 1 series was tight in the back, remove two doors, add a sloping rear and the back seats are virtually unuseable.

If you want a two seater BMW a Z4 makes more sense.

A 4 series does have rear seats you have a hope of using occasionally.

BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - davecooper
Then you have ranges such as 318i, 320i, 325i, 330i, 335i etc etc, none of which seem to have any bearing on engine size. To be honest, I find the whole BMW range a mess, but that's only me and I am sure there are plenty of people who would disagree.
BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - Bilboman

"none of which seem to have any bearing on engine size." - Mercedes-Benz aren't much better in this respect - They have nearlyas many letter combinations as international airports and their model "numbers" have long been irrelevant to engine size.
Bringback the Standard Motor Company and its one model policy, say I!

BMW 2 Series Coupes - Where are they? - Avant

Ah yes, the Standard Vanguard - one of the most inspiring names ever to grace a car. Sadly, because of the quality of early post-war steel, most of them rusted away, but the engines would have lasted forever.