Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report - Bromptonaut

Picked up my Roomster, replacing the ten yo 156k bmile Mk2 1.9D berlingo, on 1st December. A trip to London and back over the weekend means I've done 500 miles so a short report seemed in order.

The London trip was to collect my daughter and her beau from Heathrow after a trip to Oz, overnight in a hotel, and then have a joint welcome home/Xmas celebration with his family. It was therefore an opportunity to try it with 4/5 passengers and quite a bit of luggage as well as a mix of motorway, urban and cross country travel.

Overall impression is a car that does what the tin says and does it well.

The 1.6TDi (yes its an EA159 variant) is willing and flexible. Slightly coa***/noisy under initial acceleration but very quiet and civilised at any normal speed. The gearing is surprisingly high - 30mph in 3rd is 1600rpm - but it pulls ok from 1500 and if you drop to second in sub 30 urban it's very nippy indeed. In other speed ranges it needs different gears to the 'lingo but get it right and performance does all I want.

Driving position is very comfortable. Seat adjustable for height and rake as well as obvious fore & aft and steering wheel also goes in out and up down. Amply supports my left hip and thigh which can gip after hour plus in either Berlingo and other cars too. Good all round visibility though I miss the Berlingo's massive door mirrors.

Easy to manoeuvre; car park at the Sunbury Premier Inn (overnight stay) was absurdly tight but manageable - reverse sensor helped. I'm coming to terms with non PSA control layout, though I keep twisting the indicator stalk to turn lights on or off.

Seated 5 without trouble for short run from LHR to hotel but I think middle seat occupant got a short straw. Boot swallowed all that was asked of it.

Lunch today was at Hampton Court. Return home to Northampton via Reading to put family on train home to Plymouth. Garmin Street Pilot did the navigation via M3>Bagshot>Bracknell>A329 to Reading's massive new station and on home via A4074>A34>M40. In view of the fog I'd asked it to route us M4>A404>M40 but that insubordination is stuff for a satnav review, not here.

According to trip computer it was exactly 100 miles, journey time 2:52, 48.1 mpg and average speed 35mph.

No brim/brim measures yet as although I filled it at Fosse Park 415 miles ago it's still on around half a tank and predicting 235 to next

fill

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/12/2015 at 22:24

Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report - Avant

"Overall impression is a car that does what the tin says and does it well."

Just like a Berlingo then, so clearly a good choice. If you can live with the looks and are happy with the (perfectly adequate thoiugh not spectacular) performance), it should do you well.

Clearly the Roomster has, in common with other VW Group models, firmish but very supportive seats and a Teutonic sat-nav which won't be deflected from the route it's decided on.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post this,

Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report - daveyK_UK

The roomster is another example of a van based MPV providing excellent value for money.

Rumours that VAG will also sell the Skoda van version in the UK when the new Roomster model comes out next year.

The one problem with the roomster - it doesnt tell you if you have left the lights on, no warning chime or auto switch off. I managed to flatten the battery on my hire car roomster.

Skoda Roomster - 500 mile Report - Bromptonaut

The one problem with the roomster - it doesnt tell you if you have left the lights on, no warning chime or auto switch off. I managed to flatten the battery on my hire car roomster.

Odd. Mine has a loud and insistent chime and, while the side lights stay on at least for a while, the main/dip units go off when the engine is stopped.