Company Car choice - diesel-y

Hi all,

New to the backroom but I'm struggling to make a decision on a new car choice. I wonder if you can advise?

I have the standard company car choice issue that I'm sure most face from a limited list of little German hatches. I just don't know what the best car for my needs would be as its difficult to test-drive and get an accurate impression of longer-journey comfort. Also I'm struggling to test-drive any of these models in the spec/engine I'm looking at as local dealers don't have them!

I generally commute around London, with fortnightly trips of 200 miles (x2) to see family in Yorkshire. Are diesels now unsuitable for town driving - I've read it causes reliability issues? I've read the A3/Golf is the best all-rounder but diesel in these aren't on my list of choices though the Golf has a low-tax petrol I can get but seems a bit boring on paper?

My options are pre-selected by company and the best for me are: 116d ED Plus 3dr, Mercedes A180d SE, MINI Cooper 5 dr D (Chili+Media) or VW Golf 1.0 Bluemotion petrol 3dr. The latter two are better equipped and can be optioned up a bit more in my allowance and the BM/MB are cheaper to tax, but I can only add heated seats. What's the better model of these, I like the Merc but I have read online its actually not a comfortable car on longer trips and the Mini is noisy? I sat in the pre-facelift BMW when we bought the Focus but remember it felt cheap - is this better now?

Mostly its just myself or the other half in the car so space isn't a massive issue but we do have a lot of luggage usually. We currently have a Focus Titanium X 1.6 TDCI we've been very happy with as its quiet, comfortable, spacious and fast enough, what would be most similar?

Thanks

Diesel-Jack

Company Car choice - craig-pd130

Will your company give you a wider choice, providing that the monthly lease cost is the same as the cars you've named?

As a Volvo owner, I'm biased, but in my opinion Volvos have the best seats and most adjustable / personalisable driving positions of any car in their price bracket. Could you get your firm to look at a V40, as this is a 1-series / Golf / A3 class car?

Hi

Sadly not. We buy them apparently and those brands + Renault make up the list!
I'd like a Volvo as I think it's the Focus underneath, but this is the choice!
Company Car choice - gordonbennet

Can't say as i'd be remotely interested in any of those German offerings as a company car, I've recently driven a top range A3 and have been a passenger in my friends new Golf on 19" wheels, underwhelmed is putting it kindly, i still have my fillings but only just...i've delivered hundreds of Binis, no ta.

Why not a Renault, presumably Megane?, unless its a faux sporting model it should have reasonable comfort and a nice alternative to the default German clones, i'd definately find a test drive at the Renault agent even if its not an identical model.

DPF in town issues wouldn't colour my choice, they bought the things so if they are not fit for purpose (tell me about it where i work) its their pigeon and they will have to sort it out.

If none will do could you have a salary allowance alternative and get your own car choice.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/12/2015 at 13:21

Company Car choice - slkfanboy

The issue with Diesels around touwn is DPF filter issues, but with two 200miles drives in your monthly routine, all should be ok.

Sadly no allowance it's a use-it-or-lose-it perk and doesn't make sense for us to have 2 cars - not least the inability to park 2 cars in London.

I used to have a Megane Coupe Dci but it was so noisy and ride roughly compared to the Focus I don't really want to go back.

Which of the above will have the most comfort/refinement, the Golf?

For comfort testing all you can do is find as close a spec as possible for the cars you might choose and go try them out, one mans meat etc.

I thought the Golf was awful, noisy and hard riding but that is a 2.0 GTD on stupid wheels, tyre size makes a massive difference so try to find a demo on the same size as the car you would receive.

Company Car choice - Ian_SW

There's nothing worse than a poverty model German car - I think they all include remote central locking these days, but would be worth checking whether or not they did! Annoying that for the same lease cost you could get something so much better if they let you.

Do you own the Focus outright, or is it still on some kind of credit agreement? If the Focus is costing you nothing other than fuel and maintenance, I'd suggest saying to the company "Thanks but no thanks" at the moment. When the time comes to replace the Focus, they may have a better selection of company car options.

Any company car incurrs a benefit in kind tax liability which often isn't much lower than you'd pay buying a 3-4 year old car on finance. There's no point paying this cost for a car you don't really want.

If you do have to go with any of them, I'd suggest the Mini, as at least it has five doors!

Company Car choice - Avant

I'd agree with Skodalan if you got an allowance or higher salary in lieu of a car - but if it's a company car or nothing I'd take the car, as the extra tax on a small car like these won't be prohibitive.

If it were me it would be between the Mini and the Golf. There should be enough Mini and VW dealers in the London area for you to get a test drive at least with the specified engine, if not the bodystyle. If you value the space in your Focus, the Golf will be a better bet than the Mini, but if not, the Mini dlesel has a 2.0-litre engine which should be fine on the long trips. My wife is on her sixth Mini and wouldn't be if she didn't find them comfortable: we'rein out late 60s and she has an arthritic knee. The Chilli pack has most of the extras you would want.

The Mini I'm looking at only has a 1.5 engine? It's the only one I've managed to track down for a test drive in virtually the right spec and whilst it was ok it had the dampers upgrade so wasn't sure how it would ride normally. Handling was great around town though and I liked the engine. I wasn't able to get above 50mph on the drive to find out how it is at motorway speeds - how do you find yours?

I took the Golf out this afternoon but in 1.4 Tsi match trim and it felt smooth, but does anyone know whether the 1.0 would feel significantly different? The salesman said it would be much the same because there's only 10bhp different and the 1.0 is lighter and more aerodynamic?

I am a bit worried about losing all the toys in the Focus but only the Merc and Golf have Apple CarPlay which must be future proof, right? I was surprised idrive/mini media doesn't have this facility?

The salesman said it would be much the same because there's only 10bhp different and the 1.0 is lighter and more aerodynamic?

That's salesmans spiel, a BHP figure means little to driveability unless you red line the thing all the time, its torque and when and how it arrives governs how tractable an engine is for general driving.

Try and track down that 1.0 litre engine in maybe another VW product if you can't find a Golf so equipped (strikes me as odd/convenient no demo available yet its just as good) and test drive the engine alone if you get what i mean, judge it for yourself on roads you choose.