Starting Motor engaging whilst driving - Lynn
I have a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Hatchback - 5 years old. (28,000 miles).
During the last two years my vehicle whilst being driven has inexplicably burst into flame with smoke pouring from the bonnet.
Local garage has repaired vehicle, and reported that the starter motor on both occasions had become engaged whilst engine was running.
The first occasion the ignition switch and well as the starter motor was replaced.
Last week I had a second "experience". On this occasion the starter motor had blown the battery. so this too along with the starter motor had to be replaced.
The ignition switch was found to be sound and working correctly with no signs of "sticking".
On investigation local dealership/& Vauxhall technical division say they have had no reports of similar faults reported.
Local garage is completely mystified as to the cause ! Unsurprisingly, I feel reluctant to authorise a complete replacement of the wiring circuit without knowing where the fault lays.
Has anyone else had a similar experience ?
Interestingly, my local garage reported exactly the same "fault" last month from a Vauxhall Tigra.
Even more interestingly, a collegue at work on hearing my conversation with Vauxhall, told me of an identical incident involving a collegue who owns a Tigra last month.
Re: Starting Motor engaging whilst driving - Steve
I wonder if there is a relay between the ignition switch and starter motor solenoid thats not releasing correctly. If the starter motor was engaging whilst driving I would have thought you would have heard a terrific crunching and grateing noise as it went in. If not I suspect the motor is not releasing after the initial start of the engine. In which case its very likely to get hot and burn.

Check for the relay but if the battery has 'blown' then I would also suspect there must be a good short circuit somewhere after any fuses. Probably between the heavy duty +ve cable to the starter motor solenoid and earth. This in itself could cause a fire but can't see that it would operate the starter motor.

regards

Steve
Re: Starting Motor engaging whilst driving - Adam
Lynn,

Sorry you have not had a better response.

Have you noticed the later thread on Corsa Recalls? Not directly related to your problem, but in particular note the reply from Roger B, posted on
07-26-01. If it is not an isolated problem there might be something there.

Otherwise, you could try a call to Lucas Service UK, as it is the type of thing that they may have come into contact with. Local number for you is 01273-

Good Luck, Adam
Re: Starting Motor engaging whilst driving - afm
Hi Lynn,
I looked at HJ's car-by-car breakdown re Proton Select (don't ask). The following defect was mentioned;

" faulty starter motor relay may cause starter motor ot operate independently of ignition switch. Starter motor relays to be replaced."

It sounds like a plausible explanation for your problems.

Recalls