GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - Templeton

Hi All apologies if this has already been answered but...i recently brought a 65 plate Golf TDI Bluemotion. It's 4 weeks old and last week it died on me. No warnings, no spluttering nothing. I tried to start the engine again but it continued to turn over (even when i let go of the key) but wouldn't catch.

Called the roadside assisitance, who ran a diagnosic check and said the issue was fuel pressure? I got towed to the dealership where i purchased the car and they have said the main fuel pump is broken which has affected the leads and sensors?? Anyway they are saying this can be caused by a misfuel, putting unleaded into a diesel.

I can 110% state i have not done this and i had done about 225 miles from a full tank before the car failed.

My question is can a diesel do 220+ miles on unleaded before it would breakdown? I'm starting to doubt my sanity even though i am sure i haven't misfueled!!

Help!

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - craig-pd130

If you'd put more than half a tank of unleaded in, the engine would be misfiring like mad, if it ran at all. It certainly wouldn't go 225 miles on such a mix of petrol and diesel.

If you have receipts from filling up your new Golf, gather them together as evidence. However, you don't have to show them to the supplying dealer.

Remember, you have a 4-week old car that has broken down. It's under warranty. It's the dealer's problem, they need to fix it AND give you a courtesy car while it's being fixed.

If they try and blame it on misfuelling and seem like they are not going to proceed with a warranty repair, and you are 100% certain that you have never misfuelled the car, that's when you swing into action with your evidence.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - Cyd

they are correct, it can. However, if you are certain and can produce the receipts, then make it clear to the dealer in writing that this is not the case here and you expect a full repair under warranty. Also point out to them that you expect them to handle the old pump with care to ensure no petrol contamination can occur after removal from the car as you are aware that the pump supplier (Bosch?) will undoubtedly perform a chemical test on the pump to ascertain whether the car was misfueled.

Take it from me that suppliers of fuel systems specifically exclude misfueling from warranty terms and reserve the right to chemically test all returned components. And they do too.There is a significant number of misfuels being passed off as warranty problems out there.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - elekie&a/c doctor

It could be a misfuel issue,but not specifically petrol in diesel.It could be contaminated diesel,which is not the first time I have seen this.Does not often cause any damage to the fuel system after a drain and flush.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - Morris Marina 1.3 Super

Just a thought ..the garage might give you a receipt if you know the date, approximate time and amount of fuel purchased if the dealer wants to go down the misfuel path...

I would imagine a sniff of the fuel filter would be enough to determine if there is petrol in there. If it is a misfuel, the amount by which the petrol was dluted with diesel will determine how far you could drive before the pump seizes.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - Railroad.

The OP stated that his garage have told him that this problem COULD be caused by misfueling, ie. accidently filling the fuel tank with unleaded rather than diesel.

Has a sample of the fuel been taken, and if so does it smell or have the appearance of petrol? In other words is there any obvious evidence that misfuelling is the cause, either now or anytime in the past?

I'm not sure I'd believe that a diesel could be misfuelled, show no signs of any running problems for a period of time, and then for the pump to destruct itself sometime later with the cause determined as misfuelling, and for there to be no traces of petrol in the tank. I know we can all be gullible but that does take some believing.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - jc2

What is the milage of the car-not the milage since it was filled?

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - skidpan

About 10 years ago I put petrol into a Ford Mondeo TDCi. The mix was probably 30:70 diesel:petrol. After about a mile car started to missfire, I realised what I had done and stopped. RAC took car to garage who drained it, changed filters and checked injectors for swarf, all OK. Car still running locally.

So unless its only a small amount of petrol I would be very surprised if you noticed no odd symptoms especially if you drove 200+ miles.

There is always the possibility that the dealer missfueled it before you collected it and quickly topped it up with diesel to cover the error.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - slkfanboy

Basically if you put petrol in a diesel car you will kill the fuel pump, this is because diesel is used to lubricate it and petrol is a very good cleaning agent.

It maybe the case this happened before you purchased the car and it's taken some time for the pump to fail.

GOLF TDI Bluemotion - Misfuel - Templeton

roughly 1100 miles. my round trip to work is 104 miles a day.