Unfair Insurance - Marcos{P}
After reading the discussion about falling insurance costs I wonder if anyone out there has had the same problems as me.

I recieved a new quote for my car insurance last week and it had gone up by nearly 1k.

I now have a bigger, more expensive car but this rise seemed an awfull lot so I queried quite why it had gone up so much when I had made no additional claims or picked up any convictions.

Their answer was that as I put my Dad down as a named driver, he's 55 with full no claims and a clean license, the premium had gone up. I always put him down as a named driver as he often borrows the car but the problem this year is that in december 2002 he was hit from behind whilst sitting at traffic lights at regents park driving his own car. He has witneses to this accident but the claim is ongoing so I am being penalised for somebody elses stupidity.

The point is that the insurance company have said that when the claim is finalised and it is found not to be my Dad's fault I will not get the extra premium back.

I have tried several other insurance companies but they all say the same.

How unfair is this.
Unfair Insurance - Mark (RLBS)
If you always put your Father down, then he that alone is not the 1000 quid change - loss of IOD for a male is only 10/15% ish and I can't see the accident attracting a large loading..

Did you volunteer the information about the accident, if not how did they know ? Is this his only accident and/or conviction ?

Do you accidents/convictions ?

What is the car ? Are you particularly young ?

Somehow either you haven't given the full story or you've got the wrong end of the stick. An easy way to check would to be ring back and get a quote without your Father on it. I would be very surprised if it was much more than 10/15% difference, but at least you would know for sure.
Unfair Insurance - smokie
I had an interesting phenomena on renewal, I asked Direct Line if removing my wife as named driver would save me much, in fact it would have put my premium UP.

The theory was that stable relationship = lower risk driver..
Unfair Insurance - Marcos{P}
I asked them to remove my Dad from the insurance and the differnce was nearly £850. This was about the same with most of the insurance companies I contacted.

As you have said Smokie, having your wife on the insurance does actually lower it. Mine was £60 cheaper with her on the insurance which was a small bonus.

The point of this is that under motor insurance policy you are guilty until proven innocent even if it is a clear case that the accident was not your fault.

Just for the record I eventually went with Tesco's as they were by far the cheapest, £700 difference, and they were very helpfull on the phone.
Unfair Insurance - PR {P}
How about this one...

I sold my old Alfa 156 1.8 8 months into a 12 month policy. My new Alfa GTA was still sometime away. No problem said the insurance company, when you get the new car call us, we`ll activate that policy, you pay the extra (higher group car) for the remaining 4months, then you`ll have 5years NC discount.
When car (eventually!) arrived, phoned them, they said sorry, cant insure you, grouping too high, so I asked could they credit me with 5 years NCD? No sorry, cant do anything about the 8 months you earned, goodbye. So I had to go back to 4 years NCD costing me £100 In lost discount