LDV Convoy - Wales Forester
I have an LDV Convoy and the fuel gauge has stopped working. I've removed the electrical connector on the fuel tank sender and tested it for a live feed and there is no power.
Any Convoy owners/drivers had the same trouble?
Any ideas where to go from here?
I'd rather not dismantle the dashboard just yet!

Pete.
LDV Convoy - Dynamic Dave
I've removed the electrical connector on the fuel tank sender
and tested it for a live feed and there is no power.

Could it be that the fuel gauge has a permanent live feed and the sender unit signal is the earth? Just like the temperature gauge you should be able to connect this wire directly to the bodywork to see if the gauge goes FSD.
LDV Convoy - Vansboy
More than likely it's the sender unit.
Had a few of these pack up, after giving lots of eratic readings.
Mark
LDV Convoy - Cambridge
Is it diesel?
The fuel guage on my diesel Peugeot stopped working.
The problem was not electrical. It was ancient gunge inside the sender unit stopping the float from moving up and down.

I replaced the sender unit as I had already bought one. however it was possible to pull it apart and remove the gunge by hand.
Thanks chaps, i've had a converstaion with someone this afternoon who also reckons the feed goes to earth so i'll try that.
I'll post with the result.
By the way, is the sender easy enough to change on the Convoy? I'm told it's difficult by the main LDV agent, but they would say that!

Thanks,
Pete.
LDV Convoy - Vansboy
More hassle than skill, to change!
You'll have fun doing it from jack/axle stands, unless you can borrow a lift.
Obviously easier with an empty tank, so drain it first, as much as possible.
Mark
Update time;
Have this evening dropped the tank from it mountings and removed the sender unit, a multimeter test showed it to be working fine and it was not gunked up at all.
There is power to down the lead to it after all, and the connections seem ok.
Basically the sender isn't at fault, anyone any ideas as to what next, other than ripping the gauge itself out for an inspection?
Any tips on how to trace the fault?

Pete.
LDV Convoy - Vansboy
Unless you've loads of time to spare...........
Just make sure you've filled up regularlly & reset trip counter, each time so you know how far you've been/can go!
Mark
Anyone got a Convoy with a soaking wet floor covering?
Beginning to wish i'd leased a Sprinter now!
LDV Convoy - GroovyChick{P}
I take it that you have checked to see where the water is coming in from. My other half had the same problem and it turned out to be a leak from the windscreen. He'd recently had a new screen fitted and it turned out that the screen had not been fitted properly. Good luck!

;o)
LDV Convoy - Vansboy
Screen rubbers split on corners.You can try silicone mastic.
Top of door rubbers work loose, too.
Is the mat torn, beneath your heel & it's just wet you're carrying in, with you?
Because of all the insulation within mat, you will not be able to dry it out in situ.
Remove seats (not too hard,just split pins & clips)take mat up & squeeze out as much water as possible & leave out in the sunshine/winds, to dry for a couple of days.
Now the bit you don't want to hear!
Is it coolant & not water, ie green & tastes sweet to lick a TINY drop from your finger.If so, maybe just a loose hose.More than likely heater matrix.
Have you been needing to keep topping up the expansion tank?
You don't want the Sprinter, either, cost twice as much & really only does same job!
Mark
UPDATE:
The wet floor was traced to leaks from both wiper spindles, but this meant changing the whole linkage (thanks LDV!), (the new spindles have been siliconed in). Not long had a new radiator Vansboy so she's watertight with the coolant at the mo.

The screen has recently been changed too along with the rubber, its a poor fit where the fibreglass high roof meets the metal work at the top of the screen corners, the Auto Windscreens guys filed it down a bit so the new rubber fits a bit better, doesn't seem to be leaking thru there though thankfully.

Very simple construction these LDV's, no way you could completely remove the dash in a Transit in 10 mins!

Still can't get the bleedin fuel gauge to work though.