any - HJ website - gbhall

Regrettably, the H-J website is becoming too irritating to read. This is caused by the overload of advertisements, many with ever-changing graphics, plus the overload of graphics even in actual website topic sections.

The effect is that the website, when loaded in all the browsers I regularly use, jumps about erratically as various parts of the page load and reload their content - often not actually visible. The web page is very unresponsive for many seconds and unpredictable about where the text I am trying to read will be when it does refresh.

You will be losing page hits at a rapid rate if this problem is not attended to. Something I would say would most likely exceed the loss of advertisement revenue that might come from having less advert-intensive pages all the time.

Not only is the H-J website affected, the overall load on my browser is such as to make the whole browser unresponsive, so I can't even read something else in another tab whilst waiting for H-J to settle down !!!

It is in your hands. Fix it or lose me, and probably thousands like me. I would be regretful if that happened.

David Hall

Edited by gbhall on 17/11/2015 at 12:45

any - HJ website - Leif
Irnically enough, I've just spent a minute or two trying to change sub-forum, and cursing when for some reason it kept navigating to an unwanted page. This forum is almost unusable on an ipad.

But the forum does not make much money, it's free to use, can we really complain. There's a recent thread on this issue, and HJ/PL posts his take on it all.
any - HJ website - Engineer Andy

Indeed - my PC generally copes well (especially with FIrefox and the Adblock plus add-on and Firefox/Kaspersky blocking pop-ups) with websites (the exception being those 'cardboard Volvo' ads recently), but my (admittedly older [3yo]) tablet has always struggled with graphics/video-hungry websites - it just about copes with HJ with Firefox and the (cut-down) Adblock Plus add-on, but its woeful on other websites like the Telegraph which uses far more fancy graphics/video ads (it essentially only works at all [and then VERY slowly] on Chrome). I think there needs to be a happy medium between (hopefully non-intrusive) ads and actual content, given (as Leif says) we are getting the site and forum for free.

Maybe some better 'coders' (I'm obviously NOT a computer expert) to use less processor/memory-hungry graphics (seeing tiny videos everywhere won't prompt me to buy something) are needed - often (e.g. with Windows) software coders get lazy and just add on complexity rather than streamline software - half the time I expect they have deals with hardware manufacturers to do so in the hope people 'upgrade' or buy new.

any - HJ website - Wackyracer
I can read the top few lines of the first posts as there is an over bearing Kia advert covering it.