Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - vcingh

Hi all,

I am here to get some advice on buying a new car. I had bought second hand car 3 times and had a very bad experience. Secondly I am moving further away from London and commutes will be even longer. The plan is to have a decent and comfortable car, a car that is also reliable. I have decided to go Auotmatic on transmission for enjoyable drive.But I dont have any expertise in cars.

After looking around and reading up on some of the reviews, I decided to go with Peugeot 3008 Hybride. The thing is I wont be able to afford a new one but I should be able to afford a recent model with 20000 miles or so.

I have spoken with few friends and work colleague and had a mixed review. Some says French cars are not reliable others say the new ones will give me 10 year or so. The tricky part is Peugeot 3008 Hybride comes with a battery pack and could be expensive to fix down the line.

Second one in mind is Renault Kadjar. Which is very new to the market. So nearly new is out of the question. It looks like a decent drive but hasnt been tested properly but most importantly I can afford the price tag of a new car.

A close friend of mine suggested I should go for reliable brands like Honda, Hyundai, KIA or Nissan. I should buy a used car from a dealer with low milage.

So my questions is what is my best option? My budget is GBP 15000. I would love to have a Nissan Qashqai but only manual is available in that budget.

Or Should I wait for another 3 months and may be Renault Kadjar will be available as a used car at a dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - Ethan Edwards

My 2p keep your cash invested buy an old cheap banger and run it into the ground. Longer commutes mean your going to kill cars very quickly.

That said..can't go wrong with Honda. Previous shape crv should be well inside your budget.

Btw Qashqai has been around for many years so how come you can't afford an auto? A while back I bought a Qq diesel auto 4wd tekna with eight thousand on the odo from a Nissan dealer. 18 months old for far less than your budget. One of the last of the old shape. JJ10 I believe it's termed. From what I hear that was a better buy than the new one. New models tend to have teething issues I guess. Still running fine and I get it to nudge 46mpg if I'm careful. What's not to like!

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - Andrew-T

Longer commutes mean you're going to kill cars very quickly.

Certainly if this nearly-new car is for a regular long commute, you will be maximising depreciation - if that is of any concern. A fair number of people trot out the general statement that French cars are unreliable, but that doesn't fit my experience, and when all's said and done, most modern cars are pretty reliable. Every make has a small proportion of 'Friday cars', so you need to spot those (if possible) by asking from the available evidence Why is this car being sold?

If it's changed hands several times, that may be a bad sign. Sales at a franchised dealer should be a better bet, and offer a better chance of being fixed under warranty - but that is part of the extra you pay for.

I've never bought brand-new, and not regretted it after 50 years.

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - madf

If you worry about relaibility, Honda are tops. Period..

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - Gibbo_Wirral

The best way to gauge opinion is from the owners. Have a look here to see what problems people have had:

www.peugeotforums.com/forums/3008-45/

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - Avant

The Honda CRV suggested above is a good idea - if that's bigger than you need, look at a Toyota Verso or a Nissan Qashqai.

All these have been around for some time, and there are petrol and diesel engines available, and plenty to choose from within your budget.

French cars certainly aren't rubbish: but they are perhaps more vulnerable to a previous owner's neglect or abuse, so that you have a better chance of getting a good one if you go Japanese. Whatever you choose, make sure that it's got a full service history.

Edited by Avant on 07/11/2015 at 23:58

Peugeot 3008 - Buying a crossover but which one - daveyK_UK

I would also suggest a Honda CRV