Attempted rip-off - rooba63

Just need to get this off my chest, so apologies if it seems like a rant.

I put my car into my local village garage, a place I've used for years, to get my front brakes replaced. I returned a few hours later to find new discs and pads on all four wheels, because the mechanic 'felt a judder when braking hard'. When I pointed out that rear pads and discs had been replaced at this garage only a year ago, I got usual bulls*** about 'corrosion' and 'excessive wear'. Insisted on seeing rear discs and and pads - and, guess what, they were utterly fine, just a bit of surface rust because car had been sitting for a week. Refused to pay so they jacked car up and put old brakes back. I'm just absolutely livid that garage where I've been a good customer for a decade would pull a stunt like this. I suppose there are two morals to this tale. Don't trust anyone in the motor trade - and don't take any cr*p, it's your money and your car, so stand your ground!

Attempted rip-off - John Boy

Well done for sticking up for yourself. No need to apologise for your post sounding like a rant - I'd have been livid too.

Attempted rip-off - oldroverboy.

Well done for sticking up for yourself. No need to apologise for your post sounding like a rant - I'd have been livid too.

DITTO!!!!!!

Attempted rip-off - gordonbennet

Agreed, rant away.

You expect this sort of treatment at a fast fit joint, but disappointing when its somewhere you thought you could trust.

Has the owner taken a back seat or something, most odd.

Attempted rip-off - Wackyracer

Not at all surprised sadly. I hope they didn't charge you extra labour for the fitting and removal of parts which were not needed.

Attempted rip-off - IRC

Name and shame?

Attempted rip-off - oldroverboy.

1. Tell trading standards.

2. Tell HJ giving details.

3. Letter to proprietor with copy to local newspaper with invitation to respond.

Give us approx location so others can avoid.

when published in local rag, name and shame here.

Show this to owner!

Attempted rip-off - skidpan

Took car to garage about 3 years ago for service and MOT. They called just after lunch to say front tyres were illegal which I knew was untrue, I am not stupid enough to take a car for an MOT with obvious reasons to fail. Told them not to touch them, finish the service and not bother MOTing it. They then told me it had already passed the MOT with no advisories.

I was livid and demanded to speak to service manager. He was most apologetic and said he would investigate for when we collected the car. On collection said mistake had been made and we were correct, Bill was reduced and wife got bouquet of flowers on the back seat.

Still left a nasty taste but used garage twice since then with no issues.

For the record the tyres were replaced 2 years later for the MOT with 2.5mm remaining on 2 and 4mm on the other 2. They were all 8 years old according to the DOT date and showed signs of micro cracking between the tread blocks.

Thanks for your comments. Won't name and shame on HJ but word of mouth is very effective around here. Also, I've recommened this garage to a few friends in the past, and will be telling them to think carefully before using it in future. Goes without saying that garage won't be seeing my or my wife's car again, so this little scam will cost them hundreds of pounds in the long run. As a footnone, car is now stopping well on its new front brakes - without a trace of 'judder' from rear pads and discs. Funny that.

That should be 'footnote', not 'footnone'. Oops.

Attempted rip-off - Andrew-T

I've recommended this garage to a few friends in the past, and will be telling them to think carefully before using it in future. Goes without saying that garage won't be seeing my or my wife's car again, so this little scam will cost them hundreds of pounds in the long run.

I think you should reconsider whether you may be just acting out of pique. You have shown that garage you are not to be trifled with, and that you can spot fast-ones when they are pulled. So you might reasonably expect to get best treatment on any future visits?

Attempted rip-off - Avant

I don't think it's pique: the OP has every right to be extremely annoyed.

In your poisition, Rooba, I think I'd write a polite but firm letter to the owner / manager of the garage expressing your disappointment and emphasising that you've been a long-standing customer, and asking for an assurance that this sort of thing won't happen again.

You never know, you might get a free service or at least a discount next time! If they have any sense, they'll want to protect their reputation.

Attempted rip-off - Andrew-T

I don't think it's pique: the OP has every right to be extremely annoyed.

Of course he has, Avant. I just felt that if he has been able to recommend this garage in the past, he could benefit from the recent set-to in the future - as a recognised knowledgeable customer - rather than start from scratch at another place.