mercedes cars-information needed - concrete

Hello All, my youngest son, who lives in Sheffield, has just contacted me to ask my advice regarding a Mercedes car he has been offered by a friend of a friend. It is C220 CDi estate and is a 12 registration, but and here's the rub, it has 105000 miles on the clock. It does apparently have FSH but even so I think he could be buying a money pit if things go wrong. He points out that my Skoda Superb has nearly 200000 on the clock, but I have owned and fully serviced it from new and really looked after it. His friend wants £9K for the Merc, which may be a good price, I don't know, but it is a lot of money to risk on such a high miler with potentialy very expensive service and repair costs. I would be grateful for any useful advice to pass on from any forum members who have experience of Mercedes cars. Cheers Concrete

mercedes cars-information needed - scot22

He is risking a fortune in repair bills. If he is looking for a £9,000 car I would expect he would find running costs difficult.

Two family members have had mercedes : one of them bought from new. Running costs were high.

A friend, retired bank manager, bought a new C class. He told me he would never buy another one.

It may be a good buy but I wouldn't take a chance both on repair and service costs.

mercedes cars-information needed - mss1tw

I would have thought 35000 miles a year and a FSH would be a HJ forum favourite. It's only just run in.

Are these premium German machines more likely to break than any other 100000 mile car?

mercedes cars-information needed - scot22

I agree with your post but I am now risk averse when it comes to car buying. In two years I had to spend around £2,000 on a Volvo C30. Yes I was unlucky but I'm now much more cautious.

It may be a great buy but.................

mercedes cars-information needed - Happy Blue!

All high mileage cars are more of a risk than low mileage although at super low mileages the lack of use can reverse the risk profile.

I would buy a high mileage car, but only if I knew the car well or had had a good look around it before I bought. Lots of good Merc independents to take it to for a quick look see before buying. If the car belongs to a friend, then the car should be well known to the buyer including any history of defects/repairs.

mercedes cars-information needed - slkfanboy

See quite a few of these on ebay with 400,000+ solid as old boots, but don't pay too much for it.

mercedes cars-information needed - gordonbennet

Check its service history carefully, make sure its had some sensible maintenance, it should ideally have had a transmission oil change at 60k or thereabouts so another one is looming.

This engine is in E class private hire's used by a chap i know, serviced by my indy properly they usually get replaced @ 400k, during which time they prove to need little other than consumables.

Get it bought and make sure he has a first class MB indy to look after it.

mercedes cars-information needed - concrete

Thank you everyone. Some good advice to follow up. I am going up next week and we will give the car the once over. I am sure we can find a good 'indie' in Sheffield to look it over. I intend to check out the service history and ask a few pertinent questions, especially about the transmission oil, althought it is manual and I don't recall my car having this done at 60k or maybe it's just my memory I will check my own invoices now! On the face of it I am inclined not to take a risk and not to advise buying the car. A lot of quite new small car can be had for £9k and it removes the inevitable telephone call to Dad when things go wrong.

Cheers all. Concrete

Manual wants to be cheaper still, very few proper wheel drive Mercs with manual boxes and it must be said nopt much demand either, not aware of any gearbox problems as such any RWD Merc box..

Hill starts can be tricky due to the foot operated handle release parking brake, a good trouble free parking brake but you ideallly need three feet for stop start on hills, unless the car in question has a hill hold function.

mercedes cars-information needed - Bianconeri

Manual wants to be cheaper still, very few proper wheel drive Mercs with manual boxes and it must be said nopt much demand either, not aware of any gearbox problems as such any RWD Merc box..

Hill starts can be tricky due to the foot operated handle release parking brake, a good trouble free parking brake but you ideallly need three feet for stop start on hills, unless the car in question has a hill hold function.

By 12 plate MB had moved to the nasty electric parking brake with controls on the console hadn't they?

Oh please no, don't tell me Merc's have gone to the dark side too...where's the face palm smiley when you need it.

actually if thats true that at least stops me wondering what to do when i retire, still be running me proper 90's stuff at this rate.

Edited by gordonbennet on 27/10/2015 at 17:41

mercedes cars-information needed - Bianconeri
Early 80s Rover V8S for me.
mercedes cars-information needed - balleballe

Hasn't this generation of Mercedes got the timing chain issue? With the design of the engine its a Labour intensive job which could cost a fair amount.

Hasn't this generation of Mercedes got the timing chain issue? With the design of the engine its a Labour intensive job which could cost a fair amount.

Isn't that the 1.8 petrol engine (Mitsi sourced IIRC) from the previous model with single timing chain requiring replacement around 80k mark, not aware of any timing chain issues on MB Diesels.

mercedes cars-information needed - madf

Ring up your local MB dealer and get service to quote you the costs of the next two services.. Then decide (two as one will likely be major). Make sure they include VAT in the quote. (I doubt there ill be change from £1k for the total)