VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - tsavin

First time driver, buying a used Polo this week hopefully.

I will be driving mostly on weekends for both short journeys and also 1-3 hour journeys on the motor way sometimes.

So,

I can check out a 1.2L with a local mechanic. (from a Private seller)

Or I can check out a 1.4L Polo by myself. (from a Trader)

- The mechanic won't travel to the 1.4 at the Trader because it's too far.

Both are year 2004.

Both have a service history.

Both have 1 year MOT.

1.2 has 69,000 miles.

£1690

1.4 has 78,000 miles.

£1400

Note: The trader offers 6-12 months warranty and also delivery of the car too.

Is it best to go for the 1.4? or go for a slightly smaller engine with reassurance from a mechanic?

Please advise me on what would be best,

Thanks!

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - oldroverboy.

Buying a car that age and price can be a lottery, and both are worth nothing if something goes wrong, like a clutch or abs unit.

A warranty on a car of that age is so much toilet paper as that is all it is good for.

Sorry if i sound downbeat, but make sure you have a good test drive of either, and for the private one make sure you are covered, don't take the sellers word for it.

However make sure all tyres are legal, it brakes in a straight line, the handbrake holds on the hill and there is at leat 3mm thickness on the pads, but that will only indicate that they will need doing sometime soon.

Try persuading your friendly mechanic to go with you with some payment,

or

Go to a peugot dealer for a 107 "just add fuel deal" with your readies as a deposit you will have a new car that will last you for years and be safe and road legal. all for about £99 a month. my estate adent mate has one and it does the trick for him.

Good luck! let us know what you do please.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - gordonbennet

Good points ORB.

The warranty you might as well use as bog roll, even the alleged 6 months sale of goods cover will be a bit shonky at this price range.

Are you mechanically savvy to check a car out for yourself, because as ORB suggests you could do with someone who is to go with you otherwise, thats someone who gets their hands dirty under cars by the way not someone who talks cars a lot.

My approach when i first go look at a car is this, tyres wheels and visible brakes, are they good, unkerbed clean wheels matched reasonable quality tyres with decent tread, visble brakes looking good, if so proceed to look at the rest of the car...if its sitting on kerbed scabby wheels and cheap and nasty mix and match tyres worn as much on the sidewall as the tread with grooved rusty discs showing through, then assume the bits you can't see have received similar tlc and walk away.

Remember you are judging the seller too, as they are dealer cars, would you like to argiue with the seller or does he intimidate you, does he quack and waddle?

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - tsavin

Don't be sorry! It's good, I feel like I am getting an honest reply from you guys so that's good. Thanks.

Just spoke to the trader - the 1.4 sold earlier today so will be going to look at the 1.2 polo with a friend who is a mechanic (an actual mechanic who runs a garage)

This makes me feel slightly better. Especially considering the seller is private.

Being a first time driver, I think the 1.2 will be good enough for me.

But that's just my thoughts.

Edited by tsavin on 22/10/2015 at 18:25

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - gordonbennet

Private sale you are buying the seller not just the car, if the seller doesn't give you the right vibes walk away, there's no shortage of cars to buy.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - brum

The 1.4 was a 4 cylinder engine, quiet compared with the 3 cylinder 1.2. However the 1.4 had several reliabilty issues IIRC. The 1.2 comes in 2 variants, an asthmatic 54bhp with 6 valves and a much better 64bhp 12 valve. Both require regular oil changes to avoid both camchain tensioner issues and in the longer term, worn valve guides and seats requiring a new head to recify. At 40,000 miles it should have new plugs fitted ( cheap) otherwise the worn plugs lead to coilpak failure (not so cheap).

Also from personal experience, check the rear brakes have been stripped and cleaned at least once, because once they get gunked up, youll usually need to get the slave cylinders changed.

Basically, solid evidence of full servicing history good, otherwise avoid unless its very cheap or you are into diy. Parts are cheap however.

If the front suspension console bushes havent been changed then they probably will be shot at that age, around £60 job at an independent. Check rear shocks, the plastic shroud that protects the top normally breaks and falls, exposing the shaft to dirt, which leads to early shocker failure. Can be replaced.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - elekie&a/c doctor

AVOID the 3 cylinder !.2 Engine in the Polo at all costs.These are a total money pit.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - brum

My last fabia 1.2 2004 went 130,000 miles without a hiccup in the engine department before it was sold last year. Bought new it was the cheapest car to run I've ever owned. However I diy serviced it regularly, cheap and very easy, but it didnt have an easy life in the hands of my son and d-i-l. In comparison, polos of the same vintage look a lot shabbier than the equivalent fabia.

The 3 cylinder engine wont suit everyone. They can be quite noisy and are a little underpowered.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - Andrew-T

Around the £1500 mark a trader's car will probably be a cheap part-ex from an auction. A private seller's car may have several incipient problems, or it may be a decent car being sold because no longer needed. As people have said, the latter will have no warranty, but the former's warranty will not cover much.

You have to give any car of this value a thorough test drive and check-over. A private seller may give you a good history and know all about the car; the dealer very likely won't. The buyer must judge character, but there may be a good bargain out there.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - Cyd

We got an 03 Polo 1.2 for my 18 yr old lad. Insurance witha black box was just 930.

It's done 90k or so and is a great car. Drives nice, economical, comfy.

We like it.

VW Polo - Which one should I go for??? Please advise - Avant

The 1.2 could be a good one, but don't be afraid to walk away if you're not happy with either the car or the seller.

There are plenty of other cars out there in this price range, anf remember that condition matters much more than make or model. If you're not happy with the Polo, look also at a Toyota Yaris 1.3 or a Fiesta 1.25.