Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - FORD78801

Bit of a head scratcher this one. I bought a 2014 Titanium X Sport (manual) with 7.5k on the clock about 5 months ago. It's now done nearly 20k.

On Saturday morning and again yesterday afternoon I noticed a strange knocking sound inside the car. At first I thought it was someone hammering in the street, but when I turned the engine off the noise went away and came back when I started the car up again. I opened the bonnet and could not hear the noise. I went round the back to where the exhaust is and still could not hear the sound, but when I got back in the car it was clear as day! I tried to figure this out for a few minutes and the noise then mysteriously stopped.

As stated, it came back again yesterday whilst I was sat at traffic lights. I killed the engine and started it up again a couple of times but the noise would not go away. I revved the engine slightly and the noise got quicker (and possibly quieter) as the revs increased. The lights changed so I continued until it was safe to stop, by which point the noise had again mysteriously stopped.

The garage are saying that they will be unable to do anything unless the noise is manifesting itself, so I am at a loss as to what to do or what it could be!

Does anyone have any ideas? If there is a potential problem that needs attention I would rather get it addressed before the warranty expires!

Many thanks in advance!

Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - RobJP

Most likely an exhaust mounting rubber has come loose.

Ideally the car needs to be up on ramps for a mechanic to actually have a look, and so that they can see if anything has undue movement. So taking it to an independent garage for them to get it up in the air might be a worthwhile step, and pretty cheap too.

Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - FORD78801

The fact that the knocking sound gets quicker in time with the engine when I am stood still and the intermittent nature of the problem makes me think that it's not this and rather something to do with the engine?

Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - skidpan

If there is a potential problem that needs attention I would rather get it addressed before the warranty expires!

Your Mondeo will have a 3 year 60,000 mile Ford warranty so no need to panic, 40,000 miles and possibly 2 years to go. If its a big issue it will manifest itself in that period.

Thanks; I do about 2,500 miles a month, so I reckon the warranty will expire in about 16 months, but you're right, hopefully if there is something seriously wrong it will make itself known within that time period!

Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - Quicksilver

DMF showing early signs of failure? How does the clutch feel?

Q.

The clutch itself feels fine, but when it's fully depressed the vibrations do feel a bit more noticeable than I would have expected, although I have not owned a MK4 before so I have nothing to compare my expectations with.

Having said that, the DMF went on my MK3 mondeo after +100k miles and the sound is nothing like that!

Ford Mondeo 2014 Titanium X Sport Estate Diesel - Intermittent knocking sound from inside when still - franksboy

Head scratcher indeed. i believe i have the same noise. like when you are in the car there is someone outside tapping with a hammer somewhere in the dpf area. then the noise dissappears and not heard for a couple of weeks. Question is did you get to the bottom of it?

Cheers