Mazda 3 - Is a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 TS at 84000 miles a good buy - blackcoffee

First of all sorry if i post this in the wrong section, i tried the "Ask HJ" but could not find how to post a question.

I am looking to buy a 2006 Mazda 3 TS 1.6 petrol with 84000 miles on clock and full Mazda service history.

The price is around 1600 pounds.

Is this a good buy? I am worried a bit about the mileage. I am planning to use the car for 2 or 3 years with 15000 miles a year maximum.

Mazda 3 - Is a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 TS at 84000 miles a good buy - balleballe

I had a mazda 3, but with the 2.0 petrol engine. My car before that was a mazda 6 also with the same engine.

The mazda 6 had 130k when I sold it, and the mazda 3 had 105k when I sold it.

Both engines were running perfectly fine and could have easily done many more miles. Mazda's petrol engines, providing they are regularly serviced with good quality oil will run to high mileages. I've seen 1.6's with 140-150k on the clock and still running fine.

Watch out for rust though - that was the reason I sold my mazda 3

Thank you! That was helpful.

Which parts had excessive rust?

Edited by blackcoffee on 15/10/2015 at 12:16

Mazda 3 - Is a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 TS at 84000 miles a good buy - balleballe

Thank you! That was helpful.

Which parts had excessive rust?

Even when I purchased it - it had a fair amount of rust on the underside.

This progressed to the front wheel arches, then the rear wheelarches - then the bottom of the doors.

The only reason I got rid of it was because of the rust. I tend to look after my cars and every time i saw the rust it upset me in a strange kinda way lol

Mazda 3 - Is a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 TS at 84000 miles a good buy - Engineer Andy

First of all sorry if i post this in the wrong section, i tried the "Ask HJ" but could not find how to post a question.

I am looking to buy a 2006 Mazda 3 TS 1.6 petrol with 84000 miles on clock and full Mazda service history.

The price is around 1600 pounds.

Is this a good buy? I am worried a bit about the mileage. I am planning to use the car for 2 or 3 years with 15000 miles a year maximum.

I own a 2006 Mazda3 TS2 1.6 petrol and thus far (touch wood) have had no problems with the car in the 9.5 years (from new)/52k miles I've owned it. As balleballe says, their petrol engines are, if serviced correctly (chain-cam, so keep it well oiled) should outlast the car itself. My enegine feels just as good as when new and freely revs all the way up to the red line if you so wish (I only do so [the Italian tune up] once in a while). I personally haven't had any issues with rust (a couple of very small spots on the rear wheel arches).

If you can, its worth seeing if the car has had any work done, such as multi-link suspension parts being replaced (wear-and-tear) such as bushes, trailing arms/linkages and suchlike, as they can be quite expensive to replace - I just had mine changed in the last 3 years (rear [both sides] this summer, £500, other parts 3 years ago, £150).

Other than that and signs of rust, check the car out during the test-drive for any issues as you would any car, including all the electrical systems. If the car looks abused (particualrly wrt the interior, then it probably has been under the bonnet as well - though unlikely in this case, given you indicated at has a full Mazda service history [see later for more]). Ask to see, if you can, the full history of the car to find out if it has had any significant and/or major repairs regarding faults and if they returned.

If you are intending to get it serviced at a main dealership, check on HJ's section about reviews and generally on the internet, as from all accounts Mazda dealerships can vary in quality more than fellow Japanese makes like Honda and Toyota. If you're going independent or self-servicing, then just make sure the manufacturer's instructions are followed, particularly as regards oil changes.

To be honest, you should be ok if it all works and seems fine with a full Mazda service history. Best of luck.

Thank you very much, Andy!

Mazda 3 - Is a 2006 Mazda 3 1.6 TS at 84000 miles a good buy - Avant

For information, 'Ask HJ' is a list of frequently asked questions. If you have your own question thaty you want to ask HJ, E-mail letters@honestjohn.co.uk.

But you've had some good replies here from our ever-helpful forum membres.