Driving without lights - new_driver
Hi,
1. It was dusk when I was driving but the street lights had not yet come on as there was still some light.I did not have my lights on though most of the other cars had.
As I approached a signal noticed that a red light had come on one of the mounted cameras which disappeared after I switched on my headlights. What does it mean?

2. Any idea how often people get penalized for driving without lights which are identified by a camera?
Driving without lights - alan1302
Hi, 1. It was dusk when I was driving but the street lights had not yet come on as there was still some light.I did not have my lights on though most of the other cars had. As I approached a signal noticed that a red light had come on one of the mounted cameras which disappeared after I switched on my headlights. What does it mean? 2. Any idea how often people get penalized for driving without lights which are identified by a camera?

Never heard of them - I expect it was a coincidence the red light went off as you truned your lights on. Obviosu question is why did yu not have your lights on and why did you turn them on when you saw a camera?

As I was saying it was that time of the day when light was fading - most cars had their lights on but the street lights had not come on...I just saw that red dot come on and as I was driving well within limit could not think of anything else and switched it on
Driving without lights - RT

When the light STARTS to fade, put your lights on - for others to see you - don't wait until you can't see others.

Driving without lights - Bolt

Was it a traffic light?, some have sensors on top with very small red lights on, all that does is sensing your car along with the road sensor,(tarmaced lines in the road), they are not actual cameras

being it was getting dark they are easier to see.

If thats what your talking about?

@bolt you may be right...@rt...i was assuming as I could see others clearly they will also be able to see me and expected the state of street lights to be a good indicator
@bolt you may be right...@rt...i was assuming as I could see others clearly they will also be able to see me and expected the state of street lights to be a good indicator

Never assume others can see you because they may not, I never rely on street lights I always turn lights on according to weather, so if it becomes cloudy on they go, one good reason for DRL`s, so your seen

But I have seen a lot of motors without lights on in the dark which is annoying

Driving without lights - Falkirk Bairn

>>But I have seen a lot of motors without lights on in the dark which is >>annoying

Easily done - my car panel lights are on all the time. Dusk you might think lights are on and it is only the panel lights that are lit.

[Easily done - my car panel lights are on all the time. Dusk you might think lights are on and it is only the panel lights that are lit.]

I know it is, Civic dash is the same, but it also has (lights on lamp) on dash, so if the lights arent on nor is dash lamp

I nearly ran into a car the other night and stopped it to tell driver the lights were not on, Reply was, never used them before and did not know where the switch was?

Driving without lights - Engineer Andy

>>But I have seen a lot of motors without lights on in the dark which is >>annoying

Easily done - my car panel lights are on all the time. Dusk you might think lights are on and it is only the panel lights that are lit.

Odd that - you would've thought, in the interests of safety, that any dash illumination would only occur when the headlights (at least on side lights setting) were switched on, which is what they do on my mk1 Mazda3.

I find that (with my car and my previous mid 90s Micra) that the easiest way of telling whether I needed my lights on was that I couldn't clearly see all my dashboard instruments, which is always well before dusk or when the light level drops considerably due to bad weather on the way.

Driving without lights - bathtub tom
i was assuming as I could see others clearly they will also be able to see me and expected the state of street lights to be a good indicator

Not many drivers out there with twenty, twenty vision. In fact I'd suggest there's more myopics than not judging by the standard of driving.

Driving without lights - RT
i was assuming as I could see others clearly they will also be able to see me and expected the state of street lights to be a good indicator

Not many drivers out there with twenty, twenty vision. In fact I'd suggest there's more myopics than not judging by the standard of driving.

And the legally-required standard of eyesight is woefully low.

SWMBO has a serious irreversible eye condition and gave up driving some years ago as she felt her vision wasn't good enough - her sight has continued to deteriorate but she can still better the driving standard - by 50%.

As an aside, 20/20 or 6/6 (same thing different units) simply represents average uncorrrected eyesight - the DVLA test standard is 6/12 with glasses - that's half as good as the average without glasses - as I started, woefully inadequate.

Driving without lights - Smileyman

perhaps it's a form of infra red camera light, I recently saw such light on a a CCTV camera, going out when you put your lights on would be make sense ..

regarding not using your lights, it's not your fault that the EU did us all proud, brought in a law requiring all vehicles to have day running lights (DLR) at the front only, so the rear of the car is dar and difficult to be seen at night .. the solution is to leave your lights switch on the automatic position so that the lights come on automatically at night fall (if you have such a switch) .. should have been part of the DLR law but ins't

Driving without lights - Sofa Spud

A good piece of advice I was given years ago is:

"In poor visibility, always aim to be the first to switch your headlights on and the last to switch them off."

These days, as more and more cars have daytime running lights, there will come a time when cars without any lights on in daylight are in a minority. Then it would make sense for all cars without DRLs to use headlights during daylight.

Driving without lights - hillman

One or two things.

My Volvo 440 had lights that came on whenever the ignition was switched on. I got accustomed to not having to remember to switch the lights on and when I changed cars I left the sidelights on permanently. I'm half way there. Then I usually remember to switch to headlights.

What distressed me was a work-mate assuring me that if he had the sidelights on then that was enough. If he could see then the other guy could see. When it is raining and the roads are wet it's very difficult to distinguish a car running with sidelights only. The sidelights look like street lights some distance away or the reflections on the road.

I would like to substitute LED bulbs for the tungsten bulbs on the sidelights of my car, but the maker's rep. assured me that would be illegal because the bulbs have not been 'homologated'. When I asked about the Daytime Running Lights fitted to new cars he replied that on new cars the LED bulbs are homologated with the model of car. Does anybody have any ideas on this ?

Edited by hillman on 14/10/2015 at 21:08

Driving without lights - KB.

This one has touched the spot for me. One my my pet hates (and I admit to having a few) is drivers not turning lights on at dusk. I was under the impression it was a particularly hazardous time of time with half light and half dark...but at least the OP, New Driver, has given me an insight as to why (some) people drive without lights when visibility is extremely poor...he's saying the street lights weren't on so he need not put his own lights on. I hadn't heard that before (in 48 years on the road) but will remember it next time I'm out at dusk.

In truth I've never been able to work out why anyone wouldn't put their lights on when at this time of day....to other drivers they emerge from the gloom, seemingly oblivious to the fact that they're harder to spot in the middle distance and I seriously can't figure out why they wouldn't want to reduce their likelihood of someone pulling out in front of them or a pedestrian with less than perfect eyesight stepping out in front of them.... or, equally important, to want to reduce the likelihood of someone coming in the opposite direction doing an overtake without having seen you because it was 'gert dimpsey' and they couldn't see you coming out of the half light. In the latter circumstance you may well be technically in the right and on the right side of the road - and maybe the street lights weren't on...but it still hurts as you're projected forward at a rate of knots having been hit head on.

Driving without lights - Avant

I very much agree, KB, with you and others. As a small cosolatio I can tell you that it's bvetter than it was when I first learnt to drive in the mid-1960s. It wasn't the custom to tun on headlights in rain, and generally some people were reluctant to light up for fear of flattening their batteries.

Dynamos were a lot less efficient than the modern alternator, especially with those frightful old Fords with a 6-volt electrical system.

I know not everyone agrees, but I'm delighted that new cars now have permanently-lit DRLs.

Driving without lights - FP

I'm afraid I don't like DRLs - or rather, some of them. There are excessively bright ones, and certainly at night, when they stay on, they are almost as bad as the ubiquitous fog-lamps.

In my view, there's a real problem with too much light from oncoming vehicles; nearly everyone, it seems, wants to announce their presence more and more brightly. And don't even get me started on high-intensity headlamps which are supposed to be self-levelling. Going over speed bumps and small hills they are an absolute menace.

I also have big reservations about the single fog light that lights up when a car is turning a corner - it's unnecessary.

Then we have the opposite problem: amidst all this brightness, there are drivers who think that parking lights ("side-lights" in old money) are appropriate when it begins to get dark. It's not enough make the car visible on anything but an unlit road with no other traffic.

Driving without lights - HandCart

A few months ago I was in minor 'accident' CAUSED by DRLs, in the daytime!

There is a road which until a few years ago was little more than a dirt track, but was nevertheless quite well-used by the public. It must have been thought a legitimate-enough route, because those few years ago the council gave it a tarmacked surface.

Now, this road is only JUST wide enough for two cars. It goes uphill through quite dense woods for a quarter of a mile, with quite a pointed brow at the top of that hill.

The track/road is CUT into the wooded hillside: There are no verges, just 4-foot-high clay-soil banks on either side.

So I'm driving up the hill at a safe speed. It's dim and shady, but overhead sunlight is filtering through little gaps in the tops of the tall trees, so it's not what you'd call dark enough to require headlights.

As I get about 75 yards from the brow, another car suddenly appears in the opposite direction, over the brow, and going too fast. Not outrageously fast, but too fast for that bit of road.

But the crucial thing was, that this car had DRLs. The DRLs were of such brightness, and in such locations, that I was completely dazzled by them: I wanted to veer as far to my left as possible, but I was utterly unable to make-out where the soil bank was, and was unable to veer quite as far as I probably could have, because I didn't want to risk stuffing the entire front corner and wing of my car into a sturdy soil bank!

As a result, the two cars' door-mirrors clashed, and mine was all-but destroyed.

I stopped, to pick up the shattered pieces of my mirror from back down the road. The other driver did not stop.

It was only as I observed the other car continuing into the distance that I was able to discern that it was a Citroen Cactus.

If you check-out that model, you will see that its DRLs are right at the top edge of the bonnet, an elevation not far-removed from the eye-level of the driver of a saloon.

Those darned things blinded me just as effectively as if the car had had its main-beams on!

The raison d'etre of DRLs is supposed to be just to alert you to the PRESENCE of a vehicle: They could be mounted much lower down - there's no compelling justification for them to be mounted this high up. Stupid stupid stupid!

Then just this last Sunday: 8:30pm, fully dark, encounter an SUV (think it was an Outlander) coming the other way. He has just the DRLs on. The rear of this - charcoal-coloured! - vehicle was completely unlit.

Just two examples of how this pathetic DRL legislation can actually have a counter-productive effect on safety...

Driving without lights - daveyjp

I saw a Captur last night with just it's DRLs on - it was 8.30pm so long past dusk.

The problem was, as with the Cactus, the DRLs were so bloomin bright the driver probably had sufficient illumination to drive along quite happily, not realising the rear of the vehicle had no illumination whatsoever.

Driving without lights - Ethan Edwards

I was going to post that as well.

It's all very well having DRL's but there is ZERO light showing at the back.

So if your OK with for example, having a truck plow into you from behind whilst your waiting at a junction...just don't bother to switch on any extra lighting. Your funeral.

I was behind a 63 plate ivory Fiat 500 in Basildon the other night. Gone 9pm so dark. The young blonde woman had no lights on at the back whatsoever. Adequate secondary lights at the front (I believe) but she was quite oblivious to the danger.

Still more speed camera's will fix that right up - won't they?

Driving without lights - FP

Reading the previous posts, it's suddenly occurred to me that an alarming incident the other evening may be explained by bright DLRs.

It was completely dark. I was driving at around 55 mph on a winding but fast single carriageway A road on dipped headlights when I came up behind a car with absolutely no rear lights, moving pretty slowly - around 40 mph. Despite switching my lights on and off a few times there was no response.

I was wondering if the driver knew there were no lights to the rear and was just chancing it, but maybe not...

Edited by FP on 15/10/2015 at 14:35

Driving without lights - hillman

In the main, cars nowadays have so many features, including safety, that the drivers don't need to know anything other than where the ignition switch is, and in some cars not even that. The cars even switch on the wipers when it begins to rain. Daytime running lights are perhaps a good thing for pedestrians, provided they can drag their eyes away from the mobile telephones to look before they cross the road. Perhaps the authorities might be persuaded to extend the daytime running lights to include rear lighting for the motorists too.

FP - ..."("side-lights" in old money)"... Humph !!

I was going to post that as well.

It's all very well having DRL's but there is ZERO light showing at the back.

So if your OK with for example, having a truck plow into you from behind whilst your waiting at a junction...just don't bother to switch on any extra lighting. Your funeral.

I was behind a 63 plate ivory Fiat 500 in Basildon the other night. Gone 9pm so dark. The young blonde woman had no lights on at the back whatsoever. Adequate secondary lights at the front (I believe) but she was quite oblivious to the danger.

Still more speed camera's will fix that right up - won't they?

So whats happened to reflectors, used to see them a lot on older cars if their rear lights were off/bulbs gone

Driving without lights - Avant

I would imagine that fromt DRLs aren't linked to the rear lights because in certain types of light they might be confused with brake lights. I may be wrong on this.

Edited by Avant on 16/10/2015 at 13:24