97 Fiesta water leak - Simon R
Hi
My wife's 97 Fiesta has developed a water leak and both front footwells are now very wet.

Its been difficult in the recent weather to dry the car out and carry out a proper examination. Our local Ford dealer (who has serviced it for us from new), said that these cars are a nightmare, and after spending a couple of days trying to fix one won't try anymore. I know these are prone to leaks, but this has only just started so we thought it was a good one.

During a recent storm SWMBO seems to think she's saw water coming in from the bottom of the door near the front wheel arch, but I can't corroborate. Door seals look ok to me. Could anybody give me a 'Janet and John goes leak hunting' on what to do, because I'm not mechanically minded.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
97 Fiesta water leak - jud
www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m
this may be the problem
97 Fiesta water leak - jud
Sorry made a mistake with this, on the link select ford then the model year.
Thanks Jud. Saw this, but it just confirms that they leak - it almost certainly isn't the ventilation system.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Simon
97 Fiesta water leak - smokie
Windscreen seal?
97 Fiesta water leak - Pete F
Simon
Has it got a sunroof? This drains down 2 rubber tubes in each A pillar and if the rubber perishes then the water can get into interior.
There is also a drain tube from the heater air intake in front of the windscreen. Drain tube can be found under the bonnet. Is it blocked?
97 Fiesta water leak - madf
The Fiesta is subject to leaks via the bulkhead hole above the passenger feet: where the cable(s) feed through to the dashboard. Seal generously with silicon sealant. (aftermarket security systems/sound may be wired in and sealing plug damaged)
Also the passenger side door seal often does not fit properly..

Test both by
1. bucket of water over bonnet: pour slowly over the air intake holes for the heater.. and watch inside for drips.
2. if that fails try hosing the paasenger side door apertures.

madf
Thanks guys.

Car does have a sunroof, but I didn't realise it drained as the external seal looks weather proof (its a simple tilt or remove job).

I'll also get a bucket of water to see if I can spot any drips.

My www investigations have now found that there is some drainage in the sills that can get blocked. This apparently causes water to build up in the door seals before overflowing. Does anybody know how these can be located and cleared?

Cheers (feel a bit happier now!)

Simon
97 Fiesta water leak - pmh
Well discussed previously, see

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=85...0

pmh (was peter)
97 Fiesta water leak - sombrueil
Yes we have spent a bomb with the Ford dealer here in Wigan, cant fix it, he said there are so many cars in the service garage with this problem and not just Fiesta, its been a horrible expensive car, and we are hoping to get a Japanese one next time.