Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - Dan12345

I purchased an used Skoda Octavia Estate 58 plate from an approved Skoda garage in September 2014. Part of that purchase was a service and MOT contract (and as it trasnpires alongside this was a 1 year warranty on the car)

The car developed issues with its air conditioning during the summer of 2015, I took it into the dealer who service and re gassed, and it worked fine for a couple of weeks before stopping working again, when I took the car in for its MOT shortly after I asked them to have another look at the air conditioning, they did, stating the compressor was broken, and told me it would be £1234 to repair.

Unfortunately I was not aware it was under warranty at this time, and was not told this repair would actually be covered. (I accept I should have known). I was reminded of the warranty by a text in September saying your warranty will expire in 3 days, and the day I called it had expired by one day (I had a funeral to attend that week so couldnt call earlier) when I did call them I was told the compressor would have been covered but I needed to speak to Skoda.

Skoda customer care having looked into it, say they cant give any assitance at all, and say due to the age and service history (all with them!) they cant offer any help as the car is now out of warranty.

Obviously I accept I should have known/done something whilst under warranty, but dont feel particualrly happy they didnt mention this to me when giving me a quote when it was under warranty. So wondered if anyone knew the rules on warrantys, should I be covered as they were aware of the fault when under warranty. Or has anyone had any expierience of challenging a similar situation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - skidpan

Unless they looked why would they know its has an extended warranty.

Several years ago I had a Golf with an extended warranty and at 2 years old it required a water pump which they spotted leaking at the service and informed me about by phone. Never mentioned I had an extended warranty, assumed they knew since I bought it form them but when I collected the car they presented me with a bill saying they had submitted a good will claim, when I told them I had an extended warranty they cancelled the invoice. Some weeks later I received a cheque in lieu of the good will claim (which obviously they had not cancelled) for the parts and 50% of the labour, simply banked it. Paid nothing and got cash back, brilliant.

All you can do is hope that Skoda will do the decent thing, if not you are paying out of your own pocket.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - Andrew-T

.... I received a cheque in lieu of the good will claim (which obviously they had not cancelled) for the parts and 50% of the labour, simply banked it. Paid nothing and got cash back, brilliant.

Hmmm. Somehow I don't suppose your conscience has anything to say .... :-)

Hmmm. Somehow I don't suppose your conscience has anything to say .... :-)

What conscience. VW had more money than me and every little helps.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - Avant

"VW had more money than me and every little helps."

"Had" may yet be the operative word.....

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - FP

" I received a cheque in lieu of the good will claim (which obviously they had not cancelled) for the parts and 50% of the labour, simply banked it. Paid nothing and got cash back, brilliant."

"What conscience. VW had more money than me and every little helps."

I'm surprised anyone would want to admit to this on a publicly viewable forum, whatever their private version of morality is.

I'm thinking fraud.

" I received a cheque in lieu of the good will claim (which obviously they had not cancelled) for the parts and 50% of the labour, simply banked it. Paid nothing and got cash back, brilliant."

I'm surprised anyone would want to admit to this on a publicly viewable forum, whatever their private version of morality is.

I'm thinking fraud.

For it to be fraud it would have needed me to submit a goodwill claim after I had had the work done under warranty.

Read my post, the garage submitted the goodwill claim and were too daft to cancel it after I had told them about the warranty. Then VW were daft enough to pay the garage twice.

Not fraud, just good luck on my part and stupidity on the garages and VW's.

But it was almost 26 years ago so I don't think they will be bothered now.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - piggy

Well,well! It looks like your beatification has been shelved.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - Palcouk

Your purchase paperwork would have included details of the extended warranty, which could have been issued by the garage/Skoda or a seperate insurance Company.

The service dept. will have no record of any warranty, and if you failed to make the warranty claim at the time, then if the warranty period has now expired, you have lost any rights to claim against the warranty, unless Skoda offer a goodwill gesture, and they have declined to do this.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Extended Warranty issue with Skoda - No_FM2R

I think you need to revisit this with them.

Its not clear whether or not you had the work done. ultimately that shouldn't make much difference, but it might change the argument.

1) The fault occurred within the warranty, which you can prove.

2) You didn't follow their procedure, nor did you gain their authorisation for repair.

So I would expect them to accept the claim. However, I would expect them to pay no more than they could have had it fixed for. Which may be less that the figure you were quoted.

If you haven't had it fixed, then that should be no issue. If you have had it fixed then you probably need to bite on the difference.

Polite persistence is probably the approach.