New car advice - Spanner28
Hi, looking to get a new car in the near future. Will have a budget of about £20k or there a outs and am after some opinions and advice.

Currently have been looking at

Audi A4 2.0 tfsi Quattro
Audi s4 3.0 tfsi
Bmw 335i although less keen than the others
Skoda octavia 3 vrs
Audi s3
Mk 6 golf r

Currently i have a skoda octavia 2 vrs

Looking to have something a little more powerful that's comfortable with good space and practical. Looking for reasonable economy At least too.

Any thoughts, opinions and suggestions or things to look out for regarding these cars wold be appreciated

Thanks
New car advice - Paul Robinson

Powerful and comfortable is a difficult combination - as powerful cars come with 'sports' suspension which is not comfortable. Sorry I can't be more helpful and I will be very interested in any suggestions that people make for you as it's a combination that I'd like in my next car....

Yeah powerful and comfortable is definitely a trade off. I sort of want something similar to what I have now in that respect.

Something that is OK on long journeys (a little firm is fine) but not bone shaking and something that has a bit of power when you want or need it.

I'd like to mix performance with average fuel economy which makes the Audi s4 less attractive as engine size and its power makes it s economy lower than 2.0 litre engined cars such as the golf r or the Audi A4 and octavia vrs

Edited by Spanner28 on 04/10/2015 at 21:37

New car advice - gordonbennet

Merc usually offer a decent combination of performance handling and comfort and you can tailor the model/spec to your requirements.

C Class it is then, engine and spec choice down to you.

New car advice - Paul Robinson

If the budget is £20K, then we're not talking the latest C Class and if you want powerful (C250 CDI) then you have to have the AMG sport - I happen to have a 2014 C250 CDI AMG Sport and while it is many things it's certainly not comfortable....

New car advice - gordonbennet

You can't have a C class 250 Diesel, unless its saddled with Sport package, amazing.

I assumed from the OP's list that petrol was the fuel of choice, hopefully a blown petrol C Class would be allowed without the concrete springs.

New car advice - balleballe

Seat Leon cupra? Essentially the same as the golf R but cheaper

New car advice - daveyjp

C class 250 CGi - twin turbo petrol, but again IIRC it will have more sporty set up - Sport of AMG.

Thanks for suggestions I haven't really looked into the c class merc so definitely will investigate that. Not so much of a fan of the seat but again it's worth a look
New car advice - RobJP

powerful that's comfortable with good space and practical

The A3, A4, 3 series, Golf and Octavia in the spec you're after, none of them will offer what you are after.

As others have said. "Sports" spec means sports suspension and large wheels, which destroys any comfort levels.

Might I suggest going and test-driving a 5 series / E class / A6. In 'SE' spec with 17" or smaller wheels. Any of those will provide continent-devouring comfort levels.

Suppose it's a compromise and I suppose when I refer to comfortable I mean reasonably comfortable rather than wafting along luxury. Would like to try and avoid something with a hard ride like my previous car which was an mg zt. Certainly want to avoid something like an Evo which is rock hard.

The suspension in my current octavia vrs suits me ok not rock hard but firm enough.

I do really like the 5 series but figured they would be out my price range but I'll have a look.

Quite like the look of the bmw engine that's in the 328i and assume 528i as its a 2 litre turbo but good power and not as expensive to run as a straight 6
New car advice - RobJP

You'd probably find minimal difference between economy on the 528i and 530i. In which case, if it was me, I'd be going for the 530i. That straight six is a thing of joy.

HJ Realmpg seems to back that up :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/5-series-f10-2010

528i --- 31.3mpg

530i automatic --- 30.0mpg

However, to find a comfort level that YOU can live with you'll have to go test drive various cars. I've been in a couple of Audi A6 AND 5-series with 'sports' setup and large wheels, and found them to be horribly crashy on anything other than perfect roads.

New car advice - Avant

As the replies to you show, this combination is a much-wanted option (by me as well), and manufacturers are stupid to ignore it.

Rob's suggestions are good ones: I think Audi get nearest to it by offering deletion of the sports suspension as a no-cost option - or indeed going for SE spec. At £20k you'll be looking for one which is a year or two old so you'd need to check what options a car comes with.

Actually the Octavia vRS is pretty good for this, which is why I'm on my third. The suspension is on the firm side but the seats are very supportive and even at age 67 I can do a long run with no aches and pains. And even more painlessly, my petrol vRS will do over 40 mpg on a run of anything over 20 miles or so. The mark 3 (217 bhp) for some reason is slightly more economical than the 197 bhp mark 2. Diesel - no thanks, and I'm trying to resist too much Schadenfreude.

So my suggestion would be either another vRS or look for a good deal on a nearly-new A4 Avant which should be possible because of the new model.

A couple of final thoughts - BMW offer a 220i version of the Active Tourer, and Volvo I believe are about to do a 2-litre petrol V60. The BMW is higher off the ground, and Volvos have some of the best seats in the business. Both will be on my short-list next year, if the dealers can get over their diesel fixation (which they haven't yet) and provide a petrol demonstrator.

New car advice - skidpan

and Volvo I believe are about to do a 2-litre petrol V60.

The 2 litre T3 Volvo V60 replaces the Ford powered 1.6 Volvo V60 and is on sale now. Discounts are already huge, looked last week and Carfile.net are offering over £7000 off making the SE model just under £20,000. Its well specced and well made but its very short of space compared to such cars as the Octavia, Leon ST and even the BMW 3 series tourer.

Nice motor, my only concern is the space, if only it was just a bit bigger. But that might not be an issue for you.

The octavia is certainly a strong contender as its what I have now and my budget would get me a not very old low mileage one.

Audi is fairly close as the look and fit and finish is all high and that's got to be a good thing.

With regards to the bmw I personally prefer the way in which a turbo engined car drives so highlighted the 328i and 528i as they have a turbo engine without going mad and ending up with the 335i or the 535i

I really like the look of some of the Volvo cars as my dad had a v70 I think it was only it was cramped inside for the size of the car and ones I've been in such as the c70 are amazingly comfortable but never appeal to me looks or handling wise

Seems the octavia is ticking the most boxes so far although the despite it being not the same sort of vehicle there's something about the golf r that tempts me lol
New car advice - Falkirk Bairn

Motorpoint - VRS hatch auto + Leather £20K Brand new del miles