Need a mid-life crisis car! - Fyldeboy

Ok, have £3k and an 07 Astra Estate SXi to PX, so that should be about £5k.

Currently looking for something cheaper to insure and more economical - preferably 12 reg or later - which leaves me with a range of moderately good city cars.

They're boring. Don't need performance, but I do want it to look a bit smart and possibly sporty.

If I forgo the age limit, what can I get that looks good, is more economical than my Astra (47mpg), low or 0 tax, cheaper insurance than the Astra (g14) and is going to make sense with regard to comfort/longevity?

In my head, age is no limit - find me a 1960s lambo - but that aint going to do amything for insurance or economy!

Need a mid-life crisis car! - John F

Currently looking for something cheaper to insure and more economical

Don't need performance, but I do want it to look a bit smart and possibly sporty.

With these conditions there is absolutely no possible car to fit the requirement of a mid-life crisis! A proper fullblown mid-life crisis requires the irresponsible purchase of something very powerful, expensive to insure, with ruinous depreciation but a lot of fun. An old example from the Castle Bromwich or Brown's Lane factories usually suffices. Man up!

Need a mid-life crisis car! - gordonbennet

Yes, doesn't compute, a mid life crisis car has to have something special about it, either goes like stink or sticks like the proverbial to a blanket or both, a Subaru WRX is a mid life crisis car or some drop top jobbie, a car that does 50mpg and doesn't perform yet looks somehow sporty is not and never will be one.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - NARU

A motorbike?

A true midlife crisis car will come with big bills!

Or a midlife 'blip' rather than a crisis and buy a Toyota MR2 or Mazda MX-5. Both ultimately practical, but well within your budget.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - barney100

Mid life crisis? semi retirement crisis I had. Solution was Merc SLK, love driving with the top down and looking like an old whatsit. Answers both semi retirement crisis points, goes well but can also get over 50 mpg and just get the golf clubs in.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Fyldeboy

Ok, midlife crisis - perhaps not!

Quite like Toyota/Mazda options, will check those out, thanks. Keep my eye on other suggestions too. Knew I'd get ideas here. :)

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Wackyracer

I agree with Barney SLK is a good option that won't cost too much or Porsche boxster ?

Need a mid-life crisis car! - RobJP

SLK or Boxster at the price point the OP is looking at, he will certainly be getting a crisis ...

Need a mid-life crisis car! - madf

You need to buy soemthing that will keep its value.

I bought a 1967 Lotus Elan S3 in the mid 1990s and sold it for the purchase price 4 years later.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Avant

I know the feeling. Seven years ago when I turned 60 I nearly got myself an MX-5 but actually went for a BMW Z3 with the lovelt 2.2 straight-six engine. Sold it 2 years ago by which time it was 12 years old: nothing had gone wronf or fallen off and I could see that by the law of averages something expensive would happen fairly soon - and SWMBO has a Mini Roadster so we have something with an open top.

If you don't need practicality an MX-5 is cheaper than the early Z4 that you'd get with £5k: but if you do, what about one of the sportier Fiestas? Practical, not too expensive to insure and there should be plenty around.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Ethan Edwards

I'll second that buy a motorbike. I ended up with a 1100cc one. Expensive not that practical but wow just wow. Makes every car (short of Formula 1) seem just a bit pedestrian. I got the speed bug out and lived to tell of it.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Trilogy

Unless you drive your mid-life crisis car like an old man, over 50 mpg is asking a bit much. You don't need to go fast to have fun. I've owned a Frogeye Sprite and a MK1 MX-5. The former isn't going to be in your budget while a MK1 MX-5 certainly is, and you'd get a very, very nice one for your money. Many are tipping these to soon increase in value, so now would be a good time to buy.

Others to consider:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/mr2-2000/

Smart Roadster

classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/suzuki/cappuccin.../

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/civic-type-r-2.../

Peugeot 205 GTI/306 GTI-6

VW Golf MK2 GTI 8V/16V

MGF/MG TF

Need a mid-life crisis car! - barney100

50 mpg canI get, 0 to 60 under 7 secs, mines a diesel.......

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Trilogy

50 mpg canI get, 0 to 60 under 7 secs, mines a diesel.......

Cheapest one on autotrader is £15,000. Considerably more than OP's budget.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Andrew-T

Peugeot 205 GTI

Good idea - there are always a few nice ones for sale within your budget, but you won't get 40mpg out of one, especially if you enjoy it a bit. Might manage classic-car insurance though.

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/10/2015 at 16:06

Need a mid-life crisis car! - 1litregolfeater

Not sure about Mercedes and BMWs as these are probably what caused his mid life crisis in the first place.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Cyd

My mlc machine is a CBoardman Team HT650b. And in proper style I crashed it at Cannock Chase a fortnight ago! Fun, Fun, Fun. I'll be back out as soon as the physio sorts my shoulder and the optician straightens my eyes out! Replacement helmet on order.

Thoroughly recommended!

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Eddy56

Fiat Coupe turbo? Future classic I reckon.

As a motorcyclist I'd second the idea of a bike. Modern sports bikes are insanely fast. If you've never ridden before, it'll probably kill you. But would be a heap of fun in the process.

Need a mid-life crisis car! Honda S660? - nortones2

When, or maybe if, this little machine arrives, I'd be pleased to trundle around in it. HJ should try it out!

www.autoblog.com/2015/08/10/honda-s660-sold-out-ov.../

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Engineer Andy

Fiat Coupe turbo? Future classic I reckon.

As a motorcyclist I'd second the idea of a bike. Modern sports bikes are insanely fast. If you've never ridden before, it'll probably kill you. But would be a heap of fun in the process.

A bit like buying the last of the Nissan 200SXs - great fun until it gets a bit wet!

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Eddy56

following on the "fun til it gets wet" theme, the most entertaining wet weather car I ever owned was a brief stint in a 2.8i Capri (special with the limited slip diff). Was extremely easy to find yourself facing the wrong way applying any amount of power in a corner in the wet. I loved that car, sadly a move to the coast and (at the time) no garage meant I had to sell for fear it dissolving in the salt spray.

Capri prices have gone up recently, but OP's budget should be enough a very decent MKIII 2.8i. My wife went nuts when I got mine, and I was still only 35 when I did it.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Engineer Andy

I think the 200SX was, at least in terms of handling, the 'spritual successor' to the Capri - powerful engine, rear-wheel drive and on-the-limit handling. I do remember reading several stories about that Nissan where people similarly did unintentional 180s whilst trying to turn right on mini-roundabouts!

A shame very few makes don't do that sort of car nowadays (I'm not talking about the fancy-pants [and very expensive] BMW 4-series and other German equivalents) - reasonably-priced, fast coupes that (most of the time) put a smile on your face. I'm now about the age (41) to be on the lookout for that sort of car (I'm not keen on motorbikes), and I cannot afford the German ones.

Need a mid-life crisis car! - Cyd

Eddy

my bike suggestion was a mountain bike, so pedal power, but I take your point!

Mine tried to kill me - I've been away from MTBing for about 10 years, but loving it again