Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Snakey

I'm used to the smaller motorway signs (that show a 2 digit speed limit) being left on for weeks but this week showed how useless the big overhead gantry signs are (at least around here)

Major traffic problems around the western bypass, with queues on the A1 stretching back miles. I passed two of the signs, one said 'Please take your litter home' and the other big one simply advertised the fact that the Rugby was coming to St James Park in October.

Either use them properly, or switch them off!

And that goes for the muppets at the Tyne Tunnel who use their signs to advertise who they're voting for in the x factor. No,seriously - they do.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Ethan Edwards

Completley agree- Installed at enormous expense to the taxpayer. We get inconvenienced while they were being installed and then subsequently they are operated by Brain Dead m****s.

Perfect metaphor for all post war British Governments don't you think?

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - RichT54

Don't forget the "Cones Hotline"!

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Ben 10
They can be a total waste of time and a distraction. Unless you're actually warning us about something serious. Turn them off.
I think it's just the operator with a fit of boredom who conjur up the silly messages. Thinking they are doing good, when they're not.
All we want is advance warning of hold ups and maybe alternative exits off the motorway.
Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - alan1302

Completley agree- Installed at enormous expense to the taxpayer. We get inconvenienced while they were being installed and then subsequently they are operated by Brain Dead m****s.

Perfect metaphor for all post war British Governments don't you think?

So pre-war they were great?

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Engineer Andy

Had a similar experience of these types of signs useless operators' on the way home from holiday in Cornwall - problems:

They are way too conservative (even for me) in bringing up the 50mph speed limits, mostly because someone has broken down, not as you might think on the motorway itself, but on the hard shoulder. This happened about half a dozen times along the M4 (Bristol to M25) and M25 (clockwise section between the M4 and M1);

In the same vein, they set the variable speed limits to back up traffic from actual incidents way too far away from the incidents themselves (the longest was 10 miles for aslip off with one lane closed, which wasn't indicated until you are on top of it, so all the outside two lanes were almost empty at the junction, which ironically caused the traffic to backup more than it needed. As most of the time drivers aren't told what the hold is, and more importantly what lanes it affects/where it is, people constantly change lanes, often without properly thinking (just because one is moving and not theirs), which at best causes more delays (people braking), and sometimes secondary accidents, especially when people don't give other traffic enough room.

The matrix signs are not updated quickly enough to keep up-to-date with incidents and traffic movement, which is poor given how many cameras are located on motorways. The M5 was ok on this front, however the M4 was terrible - the only 'incident' I counted (there and back) was the aforementioned lane closure on a slip-off - no accidents.

With all the above, most people just completely ignore the signs (unless they are 'variable speed limt' ones backed up by speed cameras) and continue at normal speeds until they see brake lights ahead, which I found to be very dangerous given how close many people drive to the vehicle in front these days as well as their speed - lots of near misses as a result. It was fortunate that the weather was good so visibility and road conditions were ideal.

This sort of idiocy from the Highways Agency, as well as the poor management of roadworks (the endless coned-off lane with no-one working in them) is, I believe, what causes half of delays and, if fear, many accidents as well.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Avant

"With all the above, most people just completely ignore the signs (unless they are 'variable speed limt' ones backed up by speed cameras."

The trouble is that this is exactly what happens on the new so-called 'smart' motorways. SWMBO and I were coming back from Suffolk this morning and so we were on the M25 from J27 (A12) round to J15 (M4). There were miles of mandatory 50-limit signs with 'Incident'; the first stretch with nothing at all out of the ordinary to justify this, the second featuring a lorry parked on the hard shouler, possibly broken down. Traffic flowed freelt throughout - but there could have been speed cameras at any point, because the speed limit signs had red rings round them.

And they call the motorway 'smart'. Controlled, no doubt, by a mindless, useless computer.

And at this time of year we will see the smaller ones saying 'Fog' for several weeks at a time...

Still, its better than using them for advertising sporting events!

On the A1(m) I think they should read 'Watch out for the black Audi A6 and Mercedes E Class - they're both spy coppers'

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Gordon17

A few weeks ago we were driving from North London to Cumbria, setting off at 8.00 pm, using the M1 and M6. It normally takes us about 5 hours at that time of night. Somewhere near Cannock there were some roadworks which involved lane closures - these were shown on the signs for a couple of miles which gave most people ample time to get in lane, so there was very little delay. Just a few miles after these roadworks we came to some more. the very first warning of them was a sign at the side of the road advising closure of the 2 outside lanes in 800 yards. There was actually a closure, with all traffic being diverted off the motorway at the next junction and off on a lovely tour on the backroads of Staffordshire. The last sign I saw before the chaos said "Let's All Get Home Safely" - very helpful. There had also been a number of messages about closures of roads miles and miles from the M6, but not one word about this diversion.

We got to Stafford services just before midnight and ended up breaking our journey at a Premier Inn nearby. Had there been any warning off this closure we could easily have found a better route.

I would love to know who actually decides what to put on the signs.

I like it when they occasionally get hacked (US mainly) and messages like 'Warning - Zombie attacke' etc are on them.

A lot more use than the dross that the ones I see are displaying.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Bromptonaut

Two issues I think. One is accuracy/usefulness of traffic information and second is their use to display more general road safety messages.

My own experience of the messages has been positive. Not saying they never predict mayhem that's not seen or they never miss anything but, on the whole, I'm OK with them. Particularly useful giving long range information. If, for example, the A43 is closed s/b at Brackley putting that up on gantries as far north as Chesterield - plenty time to plan a route via A38 or A/M42 or even through the lanes from J16 to Banbury.

Imprecations to 'Take a Break' or 'Don't Drink/Drive' can be read or overlooked. We're not alone as a nation in doing this; I've been advised on French Autoroutes that a clean windscreen helps my safety.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Avant

Fair point, Bromp. The signs giving information about problems elsewhere are indeed useful - so why do these thick computers know more about other roads thanthe onme they're actually on (as on the M25 on Thursday)?

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - 1litregolfeater

These idiot signs have annoyed me for years, the messages they display are stupid, useless, inane, and just very distracting and dangerous. They make me go faster, swear even more, punch the steering wheel and vow not to vote.

Such a waste of money, time and energy.

Turn them off immediately!

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - alan1302

They make me go faster, swear even more, punch the steering wheel and vow not to vote.

Is that when you see them on the way to your anger management classes? LOL :-)

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Bilboman

Dozens of these overhead signs were put up on motorways in Spain a few years ago. Here too, a lot of useless and pointless information is displayed (reminders to get the MoT done, check tyre pressures etc. - the sort of thing the average driver can do whilst driving, right?) and occasionally reminders about rear satbelts and not throwing a lighted cigarette from the window.
No shortage of nationalist politics, either, with messages only in Catalan in Catalonia, and signs in both Spanish and Basque in the Basque Country, which take forever to read.
Universally-understood warning symbols are limited to speed limits, "accident ahead" and not much else. If you ever see EURIAREKIN MOTELDU ZURE ABIADURA on the AP68 somewhere between the Santander ferry and La Rioja and don't quite catch the Spanish as you drive past, it's a warning that it's raining so slow down.
I had to laugh at the recent appearance of static signs posted on either side of the carriageway to advise drivers of CCTV cameras and "Drivers' right to consult, delete, amend etc. any recordings of themselves in accordance with Data Protection laws blah blahblah - please write to P.O.Box no..."

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - gordonbennet

You have to think a bit deviously with these signs, don't take any traffic info at face value, you and the several hundred or thousand other vehicles being held up for an inteminable time are there because they want you there, you're sitting where they want you to be and where you won't cause a nuisance to surrounding alternative, often parallel routes.

It's not all idiocy, it's often deliberate IMO, its not what they tell you its the really nasty ones you're heading into that they don't mention at all that are the problem.

I wonder if the original Trafficmaster analogue system was a bit too simple and worked well so had to go, it was brilliant for at a glance checking and constant live monitoring/updating of all roads with sensors, without someone with a motive deciding what info shall be allowed out or not...especially useful for night closures when the queues can be little short of staggering...like so many other things it wasn't broke so had to be fixed.

Google maps etc traffic info is so far behind it's virtually pointless.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/09/2015 at 09:59

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - catsdad
what gets me is their use of road numbers rather than main place names or mileages. So on long A roads you get signs reading things like "congestion after A nnnn". If you are travelling alone you can't access a map to see if this is past your intended exit or not. Oftentimes such info turns out to be referring to a junction many miles ahead. Obviously useful to those travelling that far who carry an encyclopediic knowledge of road numbers but pretty useless to the rest of us. Why not give road number and placename and miles? The signs are big enough and using a standard format you would soon get used to looking for the info that suits your knowledge.

Indeed Catsdad, helps no end when road numbers get changed too (why do they do this, leave the blinking things alone), many of us old school drivers still refer to the old numbers.

Far as i'm concerned the A14 goes down past Godmanchester to Royston, the A45 still goes to Felixstowe via St Neots and Cambridge.

Indeed Catsdad, helps no end when road numbers get changed too (why do they do this, leave the blinking things alone), many of us old school drivers still refer to the old numbers.

Far as i'm concerned the A14 goes down past Godmanchester to Royston, the A45 still goes to Felixstowe via St Neots and Cambridge.

Slightly off topic: As a Roystonian (is there such a word?) myself (only for 9 years), I did not know that the now M11 juntion 11 (towards Royston) you are presumably referring to was previously part of the A14 and not the M11 - did the M11 originally stop at the juntion before at Duxford? Personally I like the current junction designations as its easy to navigate when I visit my sister and brother-in-law who live just north of Cambridge - get on the M11 at jn11, off (onto the A14 at the 'end' of the M11 for a bit) at jn 14.

Personally the M11 needs to be upgraded to full three lanes all the way up from Bishop's Stortford up to and including the joining with the A14 all the way to (A14) jn 23 at Huntingdon (not sure if the proposed bypass will work, given its only around the Huntingdon area).

I don't remember seeing any 'gantry' type signs on the busy Cambridge-Huntingdon stretch, which is odd given you'd think they were really needed given the number of accidents in the area on both roads. You certainly get to know many country back routes as a result!

I'm not exactly sure where the A14 started and ended in the bygone age, i know from all my years on the road it began at Sawtry or Alconbury and ended at Royston, not sure where it went to, if anywhere, after Royston...maybe one of our flock has a really old road atlas sitting about and wouldn't mind having a quick poke nose.

Similar, i can't recall exactly when the M11 opened fully nor where or in what order, i can well recall the havoc when the M25 was opened in sections though and three lanes of traffic suddenly descended on places like Waltham Abbey and Denham, older drivers must recall in their nightmares the joys of the North Orbital and the inevitable crawl through Watford, Denham, Slough, learned some serious ducking and diving techinques back then, 7.5 ton limits notwithstanding.

I haven't a clue what they're going to do about M11 and that horrid bit of the A604 (as it was) that runs between Cambridge and Huntingdon nor the junction from hell where the A45 runs beneath at the top end of Cambridge...it's been way beyond a joke for years now especially since production of anything plastic or electronic or clothing wise ended in this country and nearly all of it now travels by road via container lorry along this totally inadequate Camb/Hunt section.

Didn't they float plans for another toll road between the two running parallel to A604 a few years ago, some wealthy donor's money maker?? it was apparently dropped for some reason.

Maybe not enough poor souls (or headline worthy enough??) have perished to make it an urgent enough priority yet, i'm only amazed that at long last the Catthorpe section of A14/M1/M6 junction is finally being sorted, how many people have died and been seriously injured on that section due to criminally poor design of that jct i have no idea.

To be quite candid it wouldn't matter if all the major routes were widened to 4/5 lanes in each direction, the population and especaially the long distance traffic to service the same is increasing that fast that the whole road network is going to grind to a halt in due course whatever happens...going to help no end the critical shortage of real lorry drivers that's started now but is going to happen big time in the next 5/10 years as the old school retire, that is a seriously important situation that is being addressed by box ticking and kicking it into the long grass.

Cambridge, Oxford and other similar cities/towns with shall we say more academic profiles, suffer more than others from the two main peak period rush hours, where other towns have a certain amount of shift working due to warehousing/distribution (once manufacturing) with notable exceptions for Oxford (such as BINI plant), so their commutes are spread over many hours, the vast bulk of working is normal office hours in academic/office world.

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of putting decent railway tracks down to service such commutes, maybe we should advertise for some geezer called Beeching to design us such an infrastructure..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/09/2015 at 13:12

Hmm, something in what loosely passes for my mind is suggesting the old Roman road Ermine Street might be the route which the proper A14 followed.

Hmm, something in what loosely passes for my mind is suggesting the old Roman road Ermine Street might be the route which the proper A14 followed.

I think at least part of that 'old' road forms the current A1198 from Royston to Huntingdon - its reasonably well used - I was surprised when Network Rail built the new 'loop' at Hitchin that they didn't add a 'slip-off' so that trains could then go directly from Royston to Huntingdon and onwards - in a way its a real shame the (infamous) Cambridge Guided Busway (I worked on an aborted attempt at some actual proper stations [mechanical building services] at St. Ives and Lonstanton) wasn't fully restored to a one up-one down railway line all the way from Cambridge Station to Huntingdon, as I think it would've reduced the car traffic on that stretch of the A14 significantly. In my view too many twit politicians who didn't know what they were doing involved.

As GB has said, ancient towns and cities like Cambridge and surrounds suffer terrible congestion problems from roads that could never handle the huge numbers of commuters (and many students now driving as well as travelling by bus or cycle [not something that was a problem in my days at university 20-odd years ago]) from every-growing satellite villages and towns (including Royston itself) and a train service that is near or at capacity.

The problem I find is that, at least as Cambridge is concerned, that the poor location of the station 20-25 mins walk (at least) from the city centre makes public transport less viable (who wants to lug bag-fulls of shopping that far or get squashed on the bus) and still more expensive/less convenient than driving for commuters. I suspect it was the closest that (back in the day) the colleges could 'stand' the railway to pass their lovely old buildings (they [mainly Trinity College] still own most of city centre, so nothing happens without their say-so. All we get now is loads of buses churning out disgusting diesel fumes and soot, rather like in central London. Sadly, as the council spent all (and more) they had on the Busway, they've nothing in the kitty for new innovations for a good number of years.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - jc2

Watched a TV programme about these.Apparently,junior staff put up the messages on instructions from their management AND must not remove them until told to do so by their managers!I like the French ones who just show the time if there is nothing of importance.Went up the A1 months ago-signs warned of serious congestion-nothing! On return journey,warned of serious congestion on M11 and again nothing.And,then,yesterday,serious congestion on A14 and,on the signs,nothing!!

I just tend to ignore them now - if it says 50 it was probably for an accident 3 weeks ago.

Perhaps they should put some life enhancing messages in there:

'When did you last ring your mum?'

'Go on, have a glass of wine tonight, you might be in a pile up tomorrow'

'Eat your greens and you can have a pudding'

etc....

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - davecooper
Completely agree. Back in the Spring, I was driving from London to Cumbria. It wasn't until I rejoined the main M6 after the Toll road that the gantry signs even gave a hint there were any problems and then only with a "delays possible" What they could have said was "Motoway Closed in both directions, (from Jnc 15 I think) It has been closed for the past 3 hours and it will be for another two at least". Now that closure would have been known about while I was on the M25 for sure but nothing on the signs on the M25, M40 or M42. So istead of giving me the chance to head north on the M1 etc, I end up sitting stationary on the M6 for over two hours and another hour to pass the incident. Ten hours to do a six hour trip!
Case in point - a1m today there is 5 miles of 50 signs.

No accident or any reason for these,but I bet they're still showing 50 in a weeks time.
Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - ExA35Owner

The general safety warnings might have a value: "Think bike" but I was pleased to see one on the M6 a few years back: "Thin bike." Still not sure what to do about that......

I thought I'd just add todays example:

Accident on the A1(m) - so the gantry signs tell us that the Rugby is coming in a couple of weeks.

A 3 mile queue (caused by their poor traffic management) at the tyne tunnel is helpfully explained with 'dont smoke with kids in the cars'

On leaving the tunnel a cryptic 'Caution' sign awaits you. Not sure if thats just general advice for life.

So the single-figure IQ bunch who run the tunnel are now moral crusaders against smoking in cars!

I thought I'd just add todays example:

Accident on the A1(m) - so the gantry signs tell us that the Rugby is coming in a couple of weeks.

A 3 mile queue (caused by their poor traffic management) at the tyne tunnel is helpfully explained with 'dont smoke with kids in the cars'

On leaving the tunnel a cryptic 'Caution' sign awaits you. Not sure if thats just general advice for life.

So the single-figure IQ bunch who run the tunnel are now moral crusaders against smoking in cars!

I like the sign saying 'dont smoke with kids in the cars' - is that implying you should tell you kids to put their cigarettes out whilst you're smoking as well - some sort of 'kiljoy' attitude?! :-)

The 'caution' one - that'll get nervous drivers thinking! What is coming??? Better slow down even more, peeing off even more drivers behind.

Any - Motorway gantry signs - why bother - Bilboman

If we were allowed to choose a message for a day - any message we liked - what would it be? I can think of a few. How about...
"URGENT - ALL AUDI DRIVERS LEAVE MOTORWAY AT NEXT EXIT" ?