Merc A Class Key Fob Woes - 520i
Happy Sunday All... Any advice much appreciated.

Just recharged the battery on an early A Class ('98 S plate A160), and having what appears to be a relatively common issue with the key fob and immobiliser. The battery has been completely flat for some weeks, now recharged without issue. The key fob however now fails to operate at all. The 'battery test' check indicates that the problem doesn't lie here; red 'battery OK' LED lights as it should, and the infra-red flickers when the lock/unlock buttons are operated. The fob will not operate the central locking, and on attempting to fire the car up the 'start error' message appears. The alarm also sounds at regular intervals all the time the battery is connected, as well as specifically upon attempting to start. This I presume is the car registering that it has been unlocked without talking to the key fob.

Having had a quick read it sounds most likely that the fob needs to be resynchronised with the immobiliser, but here begins the fun as it seems there is an endless array of 'informed' suggestions on how to do this; a baffling variety of different button pressing combinations abounds, further spiced up with numrous ideas of where one should put the key whilst merrily pressing away...

Any Merc fans on here have a sensible suggestion of how to get key and car talking once again? This has the hallmarks of a problem likely to be frustratingly trivial if you know what you're doing!

Thanks All :)

Edited by 520i on 20/09/2015 at 14:07

Merc A Class Key Fob Woes - elekie&a/c doctor
Early A class models were fitted with an approved MB aftermarket alarm system that is linked to the central locking system.Unfortunately the alarm can only be turned off via the remote.The alarm system can be removed to restore doors to manual ,so that the car can be driven without the alarm sounding.However this is not a 5 minute job,and would need the services of a good electrical technician.Does the locking work from the switch on the dash?
Merc A Class Key Fob Woes - 520i
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes the locking does operate via the dash switch. Obviously the car is not worth a great deal, and so opening up a complex can of electrical worms is not overly appealing! :-/ I was hoping that there may be a simple 'DIY' method of resynchronising key and car!
Merc A Class Key Fob Woes - Shaun Edmonds

Was this ever solved?, I have the exact same issue with my 2002 A140.