Volvo 240/260 Mercedes - Suspension or Wheels - scot22

Which would provide a more comfortable ride ? I know its individual choice but as a general rule.

16'' wheels sport suspension - mercedes A W169

17'' wheels dynamic suspension - volvo s40 2011

Sorry if this is a silly question but I would like as much knowledge as possible. I have had much help from a posts about suspension and wheels but not looked to link them.

Thanks

Edited by scot22 on 19/09/2015 at 22:15

Volvo 240/260 Mercedes - Suspension or Wheels - bathtub tom

Have you tried driving each one?

I understand your point and accept it. However, unless you can have a car for an extended test, e.g a few days, I don't feel you have long enough to be confident in how you will be after driving for a few hours and over a number of drives. The post was really hoping for someone who had owned cars with those set ups. I see a forum as a place to gain from/contribute to collective knowledge. Again I do realise it is individual preference.

I was hoping for some general comments.

Volvo 240/260 Mercedes - Suspension or Wheels - 72 dudes

C'mon Scot, time to get off the pot. You've been asking about these two models since early Spring on here, Volvoforums and MercedesClub UK and I have already given you several replies! :)

I currently have a 2007 A Class A180 CDi Elegance Auto with 15" wheels (only the Avantgarde model has 16")

My previous car was a 2007 Volvo S40 2.0D SE with 17" wheels.

The Volvo rides better, easily.

Neither cars had suspension changes to the newer models you are looking at. I once tried an S40 with 18" wheels, was OK but was firmer and tended to tramline (i.e. follow the contour of the road)

Avoid R Design or Sport S40s, most of which had firmer suspension.

As far as small cars go however, the previous A Class rides fairly well, and is quite refined with less road noise than others.

Only reason I sold the S40 was I was coming down from 3 cars to 2, and Mrs. 72Dudes has to have an automatic and the earlier diesel A Classes do not have a partical filter. Ideal for my many shortish journeys with the occasional long distance trip.

Edited by 72 dudes on 20/09/2015 at 20:55

Thanks very much 72 dudes. That is the last time I will post. Your detailed and helpful reply really has satisfied even me.

I admit to, and apologise for over researching. Basically I am neurotic and also after surprises (my fault) with my current car I want to make sure I get it right this time.

No more posts on this subject. Thanks again for your patience and reponses much appreciated.

Volvo 240/260 Mercedes - Suspension or Wheels - 72 dudes

Thanks very much 72 dudes. That is the last time I will post. Your detailed and helpful reply really has satisfied even me.

I admit to, and apologise for over researching. Basically I am neurotic and also after surprises (my fault) with my current car I want to make sure I get it right this time.

No more posts on this subject. Thanks again for your patience and reponses much appreciated.

Only meant as a light hearted jibe, not an admonishment!

Feel free to continue asking questions, I'm happy to help.

But there is a danger of over-thinking it!

Thank you.