Honda Civic - Changing Alternator Civic 2.2 I-CDTI 2006 - Ben Love

Hi, So I have a Honda Civic 2.2 I-CDTI and the alternator has decided to fail on me. I am looking into taking on the task of changing the alternator myself as it is nicely accessable at the top of the engine!! Makes a change from my last renaut.

The only concern I have is the serpentine / auxillary belt. If you take a look at this picture

uploaddirect.tk/images/3ff60ec69c7bd6d.png

On the part that I have highlighted. Would this be the auto tensioner? From what I can work out I need to put a socket on there and pull towards me, this will release tension on the auxilary belt? Is this correct? At this point I can slip the belt off the alternator, remove and fit a new alternator and once again release tension in the same manner in order to place over the new alternators pulley?

Cheers

Honda Civic - Changing Alternator Civic 2.2 I-CDTI 2006 - Peter.N.

I don't know this particular engine but that sounds about par for the course, the Peugeots and Citroens I run use that system. That's a nice illustration to work from.

Honda Civic - Changing Alternator Civic 2.2 I-CDTI 2006 - Peter.N.

There are some reasonably priced alternators here:

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=honda+civic+2.2tdc...0

Honda Civic - Changing Alternator Civic 2.2 I-CDTI 2006 - Ben Love

Brilliant, Thankyou. I am going to try to pick up a alternator locally first and get it fitted asap as it is aweful being without a car! I found a tutorial on how to change it on a 2.2 Accord and this is the same engine. So with any luck it should be a reletivaly straight forward job.

Honda Civic - Changing Alternator Civic 2.2 I-CDTI 2006 - Xena
I believe Honda revised the auxiliary belt routing to reduce the load on the alternator bearing. I think your link to the photo shows the old routing using the idler pulley which is now no longer required. I also think the belt length has change too. You may want to double check this.