Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - daveyjp
The Forester has recently gone through 10,000 miles, Almost 2,000 miles in my two months of ownership, so I’ll give you an update on my ownership experience to date.

I chose the car as it is large enough for my needs, has a decent petrol engine and Subarus get generally excellent ownership reviews. It also offered better value than the BMW, Mercs and Audis I considered and a 5 year warranty is also worth having.

Subaru only do three trim levels in petrol, XC, XE and XT with a premium pack if you want leather and satnav. This model is the mid range XE model so is well equipped:

Cruise control
Reversing camera
Electric drivers seat
Dual climate
Sunroof
HID lighting
Heated seats
Auto lights and wipers
Folding mirrors
Bluetooth with voice activation
USB, Aux and Bluetooth audio options

And of course it has permanent 4WD.

Cabin is very light and airy with large windows giving excellent all round visibility. With the sunroof blind opened the light into the cabin is excellent. Being sat high gives a commanding view.

This may sound strange, but I needed to learn how to drive it! I’ve driven the B class for so long I was very aware of how it drove and a combination of 8 valves and short gearing meant it had a lot of low down torque, so I could use low gears from relatively low speeds – 5th was just about possible in 30 zones, but 4th was more controllable.

The Subaru is geared completely differently – the ratios are very tall, apart from 5th to 6th. Over the first few weeks I was really disappointed with the drive.

It hesitated when I tried to take off, It seemed to kangaroo after gear changes. It has two ECU modes - I for “intelligent” and S for “sport”. I tried changing between the two, but no difference.

I was when looking through the manual I found the suggested gear change speeds – in essence you need to keep the revs at about 2,000. This means 3rd to 40mph, 4th to 50, 5th to 60, 6th thereafter. Once I changed my gear change pattern the car was much happier and I can now drive the car properly! Despite that its not a pootling around town car, it is very much a long distance open road car, which is exactly why it was purchased.
The only off road it has done is the Kielder Forest Track which is an unmade surface, no dramas whatsoever and despite the rough surface the unevenness was soaked up.
The ABS/stability control system has kicked in a couple of times when the system has detected possible traction loss on very tight bends. One was descending Sutton Bank, the other descending into Melrose. On both occasions I wasn’t going excessively fast, but the bend was tight enough to upset the balance slightly causing the ABS system to kick in on the rear wheels.

Upsides

Very comfortable ride

Very comfortable seats – no aches or pains after a long journey
Lots of passenger space front and back

Quiet in the cruise.

It feels and looks very well put together, just looking around the car you can see the bits holding the car together and they are substantial

Easy to find everything under the bonnet.

Bulbs are accessible

The typical flat four Subaru ‘growl’ when pressing on

Spare wheel, although only a skinny.

“Proper” handbrake

You can turn the annoying gear change indicator off, which is useless anyway given my comments regarding gear change points!

The 0-60 time is no indication of how fast a car actually is in real life. It may appear on paper to be slow from a standstill at just voer 10 seconds 0-60, but in ‘S’ mode the in gear acceleration is excellent – around town it can be too sharp for smoothness. Second gear is good from rolling to almost 70, which makes it ideal for overtaking.

Like most petrol cars you need to use the revs to get the most out of it, but for a 2.0 150bhp 4x4 and compared to Subarus of old I am more than happy with the mpg. It does mid 30s to 40 on a decent urban run and on motorway trips mid 40s. In the mile after mile of 50mph stretches currently on motorways it will do mid 50s.

Lots of cubby holes for bits and pieces.

The rear luggage cover can be stowed under the boot floor.

Rear seats have three positions of recline– my daughter approves as she can really sit back and relax.

For my ownership to date, which included 700 miles over a week in the Scottish Borders it is showing 37 mpg and brim to refills suggest this is quite accurate. In the traffic free Borders it did 43mpg over a week.

I did a 230 mile trip, largely motorway recently and the mpg readout was 42 mpg.

Reversing camera gives an excellent view and better than sensors

Very large wing mirrors

Very large sun visors with extenders to fill the gap in the middle, great when the sun is low.

The front windows have an old style quarterlight, which is an ideal place for my satnav mount.

Two option rear wiper - Speed sensitive intermittent or permanent – never had that before.

Downsides – nothing major, just day to day things which are different to what I am used to.

Whilst the interior is well fitted out, some of the materials are cheaper and the aluminium trim around the central area and doors is easily scratched.

Middle rear belt is stowed in the roof and has a two clip mechanism which is fiddly. One clip needs a tool to unfasten (car key, screwdriver or similar) when the belt is no longer needed. Thankfully middle rear belt use is a rare event.

The tailgate doesn’t open as far as I would like – even at 5’ 10” I need to watch my head when approaching to load items. Another 2-3 inches would be ideal and wouldn’t make the tailgate too high to reach to close.

Folding mirrors have to be folded/unfolded manually.

Auto door locking operates as soon as you turn the key and not when you drive off – can be annoying if I get in first and am waiting for passengers as I have to unlock the doors to let them in. The auto lock will then not relock the doors.

Shallow under floor boot storage area due to presence of the spare wheel and rear diff. Handy for a few tools, spare oil, footpump, but not all the kit I used to have under the floor of the B class. Removing the prefromed tray increases the volume, but then you need to store the tray.

Reversing camera can get obscured if it is raining and it attracts a raindrop!

The ICE head is dated, and the Bluetooth set up is quite fiddly, changing paired phones etc and there is no keypad to input numbers directly, but the sound system is excellent. There's a separate screen in the dash which when not used for the camera shows ICE info, or any other number of readouts including oil temp, fuel useage, stop start system useage including an unfathomable estimation of the mileage you could have done using the fuel saved whilst stationary etc

Stop start system is poor alongside Mercedes system. The restart is slower than the Merc and you have to ensure the car has restarted before putting the car into gear. In the early days I was sometimes too quick to put the car into gear and the car refused to restart until it was in neutral. Like most of these systems it can be turned off.

Only problem to date is a slight steering wheel shake under braking. I reported this shortly after I took ownership and the brake components will be changed under warranty when it is serviced in the next week.

Its only the first 2,000 miles in what I hope will be tens of thousands, but so far so good. Its left me wondering just how potent the XT with about 230bhp must be.
Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Happy Blue!

Thanks Davey. It sounds like a good old Subaru with lots of good practical points and a few negatives.

In our family we had a Mk1 2.0 and a Mk2 2.0XT both auto. Whilst the Mk1 model was fairly basic, it was lovely to drive and had a soft baloony ride that did not affect handling too much. The XT had a far higher spec and the ride was a little more firm but the main difference was the wave of torque at low revs. It may have had only 175bhp, but you just squeezed the throttle and the nose lifted...and then came the flat four growl!

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Trilogy

Happy Blue! Do you remember what mpg each achieved? Thanks.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Snakey

Good info - I fancy a Forester when I change my Rav4 and its good to hear you can get 30-40mpg in the real world.

With it being a permanent 4x4, does this mean you have to keep the tyres at broadly similar tread depths? I know some (Audi?) mean that a puncture can mean replacing more than one tyre just to keep the diff from premature wear.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - xtrailman

When i owned a Quattro the tyres had to be with in 3mm of each other, bit of a pain. I prefer part time AWD for that reason.

I find the gear change indicator on my CX-5 works fine, and also appreciate rear sensors along side the reversing camera.

Electric folding mirrors are also essential to me as i park in the garage and get a 10% insurance discount.

ICE is also important to me, so i don't think a Subi would suit me personally.

The subi MPG is very good, but i don't think i could get on with the performance offered, in fact i'm considering a 200 bhp plus X1 for my next car.

Edited by xtrailman on 02/09/2015 at 08:33

Tyres have to be swapped front to back every 7,000 miles or so. I have always swapped tyres around to even wear so this is not an issue.

I'll be having then swapped at the service, but looking at wear at 10,000 all four tyres are even and barely worn.

Happy Blue! Do you remember what mpg each achieved? Thanks.

Ha! Not very economical.......

Given that my driving was then mostly short urban/suburban trips, I got about 22mpg (automatic and turbo remember).

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - corax

27mpg average from my turbo manual as long as you don't put your foot down all the time, which is tempting.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - xtrailman

The 1999 model audi quattro i had 180 bhp retuned at most 33 mpg on a run, around 28 mpg around town locally, and around 24 mpg towing 1333kg.

I wasn't really impressed to be honest.

First service was today.

I had mentioned the wheel shake under braking, they checked the disks and there was run out on one of them, despite there being very little wear to pads or disks. Both changed under warranty, no fuss or bother.

There was a used XT on the forecourt, but I resisted temptation to ask for a spin as I may have ended up with an expensive day out!
Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - daveyK_UK

Does it have a wheel well for the spare?

Yes. The skinny is in a wheel well under the boot floor, but due to the rear diff it slopes to the rear of the car.
There was a used XT on the forecourt, but I resisted temptation to ask for a spin as I may have ended up with an expensive day out!

Is that the turbo version of your car? I think you can only get those with CVT. I'd like to know how they drive.

Go on, give it a go and report back ;)

Yes its a CVT. Too late for a drive now, the dealership is 40 miles away.
Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - RT

The Subaru CVT (based on Toyota internals) seems to be quite a good one - when I test drove the Outback diesel automatic I was very sceptical about the CVT but in reality soon forgot the transmission altogether - Subaru seem to have done a good job on their CVT electronics.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - dimdip

Interesting to read your report, thanks for posting it.

Regarding engine hesitency and perhaps poor torque, have you tried running it on higher octane petrol?

My SG5 2.0 normally aspirated Forester is pretty much transformed in these repects when run on 97 or higher RON. The improvement in torque, smoothness and throttle response is substantial.

Edited by dimdip on 09/09/2015 at 21:43

My SG5 2.0 normally aspirated Forester is pretty much transformed in these repects when run on 97 or higher RON. The improvement in torque, smoothness and throttle response is substantial.

I run my turbo on Tesco momentum 99 and it really was an improvement over BP Ultimate (97). Car feels more lively, even in hot weather.

I have started using 98RON fuel rather than 95RON and there is a slight but noticeable improvement in sharpness of performance on my Captur and about a 5% improvement in economy. The price difference is about 6ppl so it is cost neutral.

If I'm near a Shell I use Optimax, but not religiously.

I've been away this weekend and during the trip there was an annoying noise which appeared to be a problem with the heater fan. Knowing how most cars are built the blower fan is buried deep in the dash and getting to it can be a big job. The motor went on our Aygo and it was at least a days job to get at it.

However at the recent service the cabin filter was changed and I wondered if it wasn't fitted correctly. so out came the manual and by removing the glovebox you can get to the filter.

Took it out and staring me in the face is the whole blower fan unit. Stuck in between the fins was a leaf which must have found its way through the vents and it was catching when the fan turned.

So rather than a dash out job, Removing the fan unit is about a 10 minute job, which includes finding the right spanner. Its a design other manufacturers could learn from, but then they couldn't charge a days labour to access it!
Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - gordonbennet

Subaru still designing their cars to be worked on then, that's good to know.

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - daveyjp
I'm now almost 14 months and 10,000 miles into the ownership., just shy of 20,000 on the clock.

First service I had front disks replaced under warranty as it had steering shake when braking from high speeds. No quibble from the dealer. Other than that no other problems.

A puncture at Christmas was inconvenient and I wasn't aware that the skinny should be fitted to the rear only! Braking was interesting, thankfully I tested before needing the brakes in anger. The garage wasn't far and they managed to do a repair.

Tyres are wearing well. 6-7mm all round and they are wearing evenly. Front to back diagonal swap is part of the service.

Computer average since I took delivery is showing 34.6mpg and the system appears quite accurate from my occasional monitoring from fill ups. I did a Leeds-Cardiff return last week in a day on less than a tank, about 460 miles, its a 60 litre tank. Fill up suggested 43mpg and apart from the 50mph motorway sections I was doing 70-75 on cruise.

Its used about a litre of oil over that time, nothing major, just me being me and topping up to keep it close to max.

We only had one day of snow last winter and it was late in the season so it went quickly. It did however give me chance to test the 4wd in anger and nothing phased it. Over the very wet winter I undertook numerous trips to rugby games where parking is often in wet muddy fields and no dramas, unlike a few Range Rovers with stupidly wide road tyres with no grip whatsoever.

The hesitancy around town still has to be managed. It is an engine which likes to be revved, so pootling around town confuses the ECU! However I don't use it much for short hops so I can live with it as on long trips it is very easy to drive and very comfortable.

I expect I'll be doing 1,000 miles or so on our annual hols soon and I'm looking forward to every one of them.

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - Avant

Many thanks for the update, Davey - running reports are always interesting. I must do one on my V60.

I test drove a Forester earlier this year while car searching - an XT Turbo. It was very competent but not very exciting to drive: in fairness I don't think it was designed to be. I think I'm the problem rather than the car - I'd like a high-up driving position but I also want a car that's fun to drive.

The nearest I could find to that ideal was the BMW X1 - but it was way too expensive.

A note to everyone - do post your owner's reviews on to our reviews section on this site. There's no substitute for real life experience: what Davey has given us in his original post and the update on this thread is worth much more than the average road test in a magazine.

Edited by Avant on 09/08/2016 at 23:40

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - hillman

I was interested to read that the tyres wore equally. Is it because the tyres are swapped around to equal wear ? I don't do that, having read somewhere that the tyres bed themselves in for that wheel and swapping them around means they have to bed themselves in again, thus increasing wear.

Every Subaru I've had (three) has scrubbed the front nearside tyre. It seems to be a model feature. My friendly indy garage proprietor told me that most all-wheel-drive cars do that. On one course he went on he asked the Ford instructor why it happened and the Ford guy said that was an unfortunate feature of all-wheel-drive. I 've taken it into several different companies to set the suspension up to maker's specification, all to no avail.

When I buy a new tyre I put it on the back and move both back tyres to the front. All things being equal it costs me a new tyre every 10,000 miles.

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - RT

My Outback scrubbed one wheel, never found out which as I rotated regularly - but this was cured by full 12-axis laser alignment and a number of adjustments made - no further uneven wear after that.

The mechanic doing the alignment offered his theory that cars from the Far East are strapped right down for shipment and re-aligned at port of entry - too soon as they need time to settle down before alignment.

I don't know if the theory is true but a subsequent Korean-built Hyundai had the same issue, and same cure.

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - daveyjp
Holiday was 'only' 970 miles, second service today at 20,000 miles.

ECU was flashed and updated and throttle response seems much improved in 'i' mode and low rev hesitancy has gone. It feels as though the torque is improved at lower revs.

I saw the limited edition Hunter version in the dealership. Green with brown leather sounds awful, but it looks v smart.
Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - Compost Corner

Hi Davey -

I've had my XT for almost a year / 9000miles and I laughed when I read your comment on the bootlid - I bash my head on it all the time. I'm 6' and can only think it was designed for the 'smaller' Japanese gentlemen, however since most Foresters are sold to large Americans this seems an odd design quirk. I'm becoming like Homer Simpson the number of times I shout 'D'oh'!

Also got the motorised boot opener which is slow, creaky and very annoying - what was wrong with a manual boot? Again seems odd from a company that continues to fit a proper handbrake to the Forester.

I also think some space in the back could be compromised to give a bigger boot - limo style legroom is great but at the expense of laod carrying.

The XT just pootles around town, the DSG is smooth enough and gets more responsive as the engine warms. Performance comes into its own on A roads and motorways where overtaking is a sinch, however it's easy to find yourself driving far too fast if you're not careful.

Averaging 29.7mpg despiite booting it regularly to run-in the engine.

Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - Compost Corner
Should also add that I agree with your comments re the central locking - this is one car that doesn't want to let any passengers in easily.

Keyless entry lets you open the driver's door but other doors remain locked so you have to press the button on the inside to open the others, unless you open the boot first, in which case the other door unlock too, for some reason. Quite annoying if you're carrying something heavy you want to put behind front seats I.e shopping bags. Can understand if you live in a dangerous area but there should be some way of disarming the system to allow 'normal' operation.

Also, even if you unlock all doors, they all lock again as soon as you start the ignition - almost every trip with family and relatives begins with some of them locked outside car, pulling the handles and banging the Windows shouting ' open the door'!

Pain in the a**e.
Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - RT

Many cars can have their auto locking/unlocking altered through the dashboard - not a Subaru but both my Hyundai and my VW were set to lock on moving off and unlock when Park was engaged.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Mick27

I was really interested to read your review Dave as just last week I took delivery of a new Forester 2.0ltr XE petrol manual, the 15my model, not the very latest tweaked version. I've always had a soft spot for these and many years ago had the Mk1 which I really enjoyed although the new variant is of course completely different (where did the low range box disappear to)? Thus far I've only clocked up about a hundred miles so I'm still acclimatising to the motor. The car has lived up to my expectations, I'm just having to adapt to the more sedate acceleration compared with my previous vehicle. The fuel economy is hovering around 32 - 33, hopefully it will nudge up nearer to the 35mpg area. One thing I need to get sorted is the auto lock feature, it's driving me nuts, I also want one press on the remote to open all the doors, the dealer should be able to change this easily, it would be better if you could alter these kinds of preferences from the dash controls like the Mazda I've just got rid of. Subaru needs to get its act together with the tech side of things though, a bit more integration would be nice, I'm missing the parking sensors as well. That said the updated stereo head unit is nice. I like the comfort levels and not having to worry too much about our pot holed roads. The standard moon roof is a great bonus and I agree the interior is a nice, bright, place to be. The build quality is great. My wife has a new Honda CRV and that feels a bit flimsy in comparison. This one has to last me a few years, I can't keep changing cars so often as I have been lately as the depreciation can be ridiculous. I wonder why the Forester is still a rare sight in the UK, I find it a bit odd due to its popularity in Australia and the US.

Edited by Mick27 on 24/09/2016 at 21:38

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Compost Corner

Mick - over the years I've come to realise that the UK car journo industry is almost completely beholden to VW / Audi, followed by te other German manufacturers. Time and again I read road test comparisons between fully-loaded virtually no-options-list Subarus and everything-is-an-option Audis where they conclude that the Audi wins hands down despite costing £15k more to spec up to anywhere near the Subaru level. You don't get this so much in North America and Australia because people there are more interested in a car being robust and that won't break down 100miles from the nearest civilisation.

Travelling in the US / Canada or Australia you will be amazed at how many Subarus there are yet no one buys them in Europe.

Maybe something to do with our punitive taxes on plant food (CO2) and the fact that Subaru aren't sly enough to lie about their car's mpg figures. My last 2 Subarus with 2.5 and 2.0t petrols each got better mpg than my wife's 2.2 diesel Evoque, which claims to get over 40mpg but in reality achieves less than 30mpg.

Anyway, it's a small, niche club and it's always nice to be different...

I tend to go for slightly obscure marques, I also like the fact that the Subaru's are fairly easy to work on as I do my own servicing out of warranty. One thing I will say about my wife's Honda CRV is that the fuel consumption is superb. It"s the 1.6 diesel front wheel drive, currently averaging over 50 mpg. On a steady run it will crack a genuine 60mpg+ remarkable. Anyway, I don"t do big miles so not really an issue for me. I've bought a few extras for the Forester last week, genuine Subaru rubber mats V good quality, a thick rubber boot liner (2nd quality but you can't tell, at £25 a bargain, Farad roof bars, decent enough, just got some after market door rubbing strips to protect from the dozy door slammers, need to fit them once the weather warms up a bit. That's me sorted for now. Just going to keep an eye on the oil level as there have been quite a few reports of excessive oil consumption on the petrols.

Mine has used less than a litre in 18 months.

One feature I do like is the separate water control for the rear window. It means can put plenty of water on the rear window before turning on the wiper.

A review has just been posted in the review section of this website from someone who owns a 2.0 D.

What grabbed me was what he says he has paid for servicing - almost £400 a time.

I wonder where he lives as my first service was £190 and the second major service including brake and clutch fluid changes etc was £290.

These were done by different main dealers.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Falkirk Bairn

>>almost £400 a time.

A son had his 1st service on a Porsche & it was oer £400 for what effectively was a 12 mth oil & filter change.

2nd son with a Cayenne had a similar quote - phoned the VW franchise for what is the same car - got a price then went back to Porsche & they dropped the price to about £300 - still highway robbery but £100 less.

I have had 4 services on my CRV @ franchise dealers for just over £600 i.e. an average of £150

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Oliver Mayo

I'll tell you what does Subaru no favours in Europe in terms of sales- their marketing is weak, dealers are scarce (compared to Ford/VW/Audi/Merc etc) and last but not least, their range of diesel engines has been pretty modest to say the least. The 2.0 block which began only being offered long after the competition started doing it years before.

Had Subaru sorted themselves out and got their head in the game a bit earlier, and brought out a raft of diesel variants, including a 6 cylinder 3.0 one, they would have had a horse in the race for the Outback/Legacy and so on (maybe twin scroll turbo 2.0 chucking out 200hp and pitch it at the more premium end of the hatch market?). The 2.0 block is ok and revs freely enough (matched the car perfectly in the test drive I had ages ago) to give a turbine like experience rather than on/off diesels of yore, but it was only about 150hp- thats ok if you are in the same Ford/'vehicle obtained for reason of transportation' territory but for the discerning buyer, who actually care about driving enough to consider the brand for the same reasons he might want an Audi Quattro or the like, you just aren't going to be able to offer anything that comes close.

It is a shame because Subaru make good reliable cars and they are a genuinely good hoot to drive- even a basic 2.0 non-turbo Impreza from 1995 will impress you the second you meet a wiggly road with a covering of snow on it due to perfect chassis balance and a drivetrain designed by people who had the mountains of Japan in mind.

The interiors were also a bit quirky or low rent on some models, too. Generally they were well equipped and perfectly 'ok' but Subaru never gave the impression they are trying to join the ranks of mass market manufacturers seeking to churn out 1.0 consumer products sold for the lowest possible price.

I am glad the newer models appear to be doing the business once more. I am and always be a bigger fan of Subaru than any other brand, but I do want them to see them get their act together.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - madf

I looked at a used Forester diesel c 2011 but:

dealer quoted £250-£350 servcing costs

the pre 2011 diesels broke crankshafts and had major EGR problems. Several redesigns later, they appear OK but I'll wait till proven.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Cluedo
davey do you have x mode on the forester and if so does your x mode button illuminate when the lights are on and all other buttons light on up ? The button for on my outback does not light up. Cheers

IIRC X mode is only fitted to Forester automatics. Mine is a manual.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Auristocrat

"Generally they were well equipped and perfectly 'ok' but Subaru never gave the impression they are trying to join the ranks of mass market manufacturers seeking to churn out 1.0 consumer products sold for the lowest possible price."

For a number of years Subaru have had both 1.0 litre superminis and smaller engined 'kei' cars (360-660cc), and they continue to do so.

The Justy produced from 1984 was a 1.0 or 1,2 litre supermini. This was replaced in Europe in 1994 with a rebadged Suzuki Swift, and worldwide in 2007 by a rebadged Daihatsu Boon (known as the Sirion in Europe).

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Cluedo
I agree that Subaru definitely did not design cars to Sell to the masses although they would like sell as many cars as possible.
Having owned a Outback now for 7 months (previous 3 cars were BMW 3 series touring, Mercedes C class estate and 5 series saloon) I have to say the Subaru is by far and away the best engineered car I have driven. The build quality and attention to detail in terms of making sure stuff keeps working for many years to come is excellent.
They certainly don't focus on perceived quality although this has improved as well but you can tell the whole ethos in making cars is all about making it last without problems.
Obviously they do have some problems from time to time but given a choice of say a Passat or A6/5 series estate and an Outback for 10 years of ownership I would choose the Subaru every time.

Just make sure you never buy any used Subaru diesel engine manufactured before mid 2011.

Breaking crankshafts# (design and manufactuing defects ) and EGR valve issues in spades are not uncommon. A new engine at £11k is uneconomic.. and you can fit later engines but there is a LOT of work to do.

# if you search for it, you find all sorts of horror stories...

Edited by madf on 27/10/2016 at 19:43

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Mike H

One thing I will say about my wife's Honda CRV is that the fuel consumption is superb. It"s the 1.6 diesel front wheel drive, currently averaging over 50 mpg. On a steady run it will crack a genuine 60mpg+ remarkable.

Good going, ours has averaged 52mpg since new, never seen more than 57mpg. It's a cracking engine.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - hillman
Subaru Forester - First 14 months and 10,000 miles of ownership - daveyjp Holiday was 'only' 970 miles, second service today at 20,000 miles.

ECU was flashed and updated and throttle response seems much improved in 'i' mode and low rev hesitancy has gone. It feels as though the torque is improved at lower revs.

I saw the limited edition Hunter version in the dealership. Green with brown leather sounds awful, but it looks v smart.

Dave - You say that the ECU was flashed and updated. What does this entail ? I am still having problems with a spurious fault on the ECU after nearly ten years and 109,000 miles. The fault is irritating but not fatal. In the past I have enquired of the nearest dealer and they said, "Bring it in and we'll look at it". That doesn't fill me with confidence, especially as they are in a 'distant' town and I don't know where they are.

I assume it was an ECU update as the torque is now available from about 1500 rpm, rather than 2,000 rpm.

If you do need to visit a dealer get someone to video the problem so you have evidence. From my experience of two local ones Subaru dealers are helpful and on the ball.

Edited by daveyjp on 28/10/2016 at 16:42

The spurious fault first occured when the car was about three months old. The engine symbol on the dash lights up and the cruise symbol (text) starts to flash. The alarm occurs for three or four restarts and then stops. It occurs irregularly, sometime months between and I think that it has cured itself, and then it occurs again. I have a record of each and every occurrence, date and time. I complained at the dealer too often to mention and the car spent days in the workshop at least twice. I heard, by the sales team, that they'd taken a car in part ex with the same problem and they'd practically stripped it in the workshop trying to find the cause, unsuccessfully.

2.0XT just had first service - £260.

They still charge £1.99 for screenwash even though I wlways make sure it's topped up before it goes in - why do garages do this?

Anyway, it was good before but feels like a new car now - the cvt, which I thought was fine, is now super-smooth, so I reckon there must have been an update of some sort.

I asked if there was a way of getting all 4 doors to open first time but there isn't - you need to press the key fob twice, which totally negates the point of keyless entry.

One thing I have been having an issue with is the microwave sensor on the alarm - service manager told me lots of Forester owners are having problems because it is so sensitive and triggers unexpectedly, ususally in the middle of the night. Anything can set it off - if there's a strong wind and the car rocks slightly causing some loose change in the centre consol to shift minutely, the alrm goes off. Why is it necessary for it to be so sensitive? Someone breaking into your car would make a lot of movement, there's no need to have such a hair trigger alarm.

You can turn it off by pressing '5' on the keypad before you turn off the ignition each time but this is a hassle.

Anyone else having alarm issues?

No issues with the alarm on my 15MY yet. As for the door opening, I'm sure it says in the owner manual somewhere it can programmed to open all doors with one press. I'm certainly going to ask for mine to be changed when it goes in for service because it's doing my head in, as is the auto door locking when you start the engine.

Good luck with that - dealer told me it couldn't be done keylessly - have to press keyfob twice.

Agree the door locking on ignition is a pain - other cars I've driven wait until vehicle is moving before lockig doors - obviously no Subaru engineer has to sit in the car waiting for his wife to finish putting on her make up or, if they do, they sit with the engine off.

One thing the dealer did do was adjust the auto-headlights sensitivity - mine weren't coming on until it got pretty dark and I had to keep doing it manually. Then I'd forget and drive around the next day with my lights on.

I really rate the Mazda interface on their recent motors as it lets you tweak a lot of the system settings such as locking features with a few tick boxes in simple to access menus, otherwise I'm loving the Subbie. We are expecting some snow in the Pennines tomorrow so I might get the chance to see how well it goes on the standard tyres. Fuel consumption still a bit rich, around 31.5 mpg at the moment.

I absolutely booted mine for the first 5,000miles - to run it in, as it seems this works better than being gentle - and was getting mid-20s mpg. After that, I calmed down a bit and the average crept up over 30 - on long runs mid-30s is easily achievable.

Had an issue with the stupid powered tailgate - accidently hiy the HUGE button that adjusts how high the tailgate opens (what is the point of this, the gate doesn't even open ar enough for me to stop bumping my head on it?) and then the gate wouldn't open more than a foot. Just a pain - took lots of pressing the button to get it back to normal.

An annoying thing I've noticed is the stereo controls won't work when you're in reverse. I can understand the safety thinking behind this but it won't let you turn the stereo off while in reverse. So, you put it in reverse and start to manoeuvre, then decide to turn the stereo off to help you concentrate....but you can't - it won't let you. So, you have to take it out of reverse and then turn the sound off. Mental and annoying.

Almost 2 years since I posted about my new wheels and I thought it opportune to update today as it's just had its first MOT. 27,000 now on the clock and just done 500 miles to South Wales and back with no issues - returned just over 40mpg at motorway speeds.

Needless to say it passed, no areas for concern, all four tyres still have 7mm and no uneven wear. I always like a good look underneath while its on the MOT ramp and it is looking very clean.

Only observation from my trusted tester was the brake pads are looking low on the front - I expect about 30,000 miles from a set so not overly concerned. The front disks were replaced under warranty at first service so are in excellent condition

I had a problem with a noisy rear caliper recently, I suspected sticking due to lack of use as the car can sit on the drive for a few days at a time. A quick clean and it is now resolved. Rear disks showing slight sign of uneven wear which will be looked at at the next service.

All in all it continues to do what we want of it. Still don't see may either - first one of this model my tester has done, but he did comment about how easy it looked to work on both under the bonnet (apart from plugs!!) and on suspension components.

Needless to say it passed, no areas for concern, all four tyres still have 7mm and no uneven wear. I always like a good look underneath while its on the MOT ramp and it is looking very clean.

How well is the rear subframe rustproofed daveyjp? On my SG model it's a weak point, not in terms of strength but rust resistance. If you're keeping the car long term you might want to have a closer look and give it a coat of Bilt Hamber dynax or something before the winter salt starts to get to it.

Good thread as I'm interested in one as a possible future buy - keep up the good work!

Years ago, I understand, Subaru didn't rust-proof the sub-frames - something about how the Japanese never kept cars long enough for rust to be a problem. I think a lot of Jap grey imports needed rust proofed when arriving in the UK. Now they're more of a global brand, selling cars in all climates, and subframe treatment is standard equipment. I bought a new Outback in 2005, drove it all over UK for 10yrs and no rust.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - RT

Years ago, I understand, Subaru didn't rust-proof the sub-frames - something about how the Japanese never kept cars long enough for rust to be a problem. I think a lot of Jap grey imports needed rust proofed when arriving in the UK. Now they're more of a global brand, selling cars in all climates, and subframe treatment is standard equipment. I bought a new Outback in 2005, drove it all over UK for 10yrs and no rust.

I'm not convinced - the original Subaru pickup, known as the Brat in the US and the Brumby in Australia, outlasted the Series Landrovers amongst Welsh hill farmers - a climate not benign to anything that rusts.

I have a Legacy/Outback, just coming up for 11 years old that I have had since new. Mileage 117000 +. It has had no problems except an irritiating spurious fault on the alarm system.

This spring I had a fit of ABC (absolutely b****y carelessness) and bent the nearside of the rear 'bumper' which sprang out, leaving a crease. When the service garage sent the car to be repaired the expert took the 'bumper' off and warned my service man that he had better treat the spare wheel well for rust or there would soon be a hole. He left the 'bumper' loose so that it could be removed otherwise it was a major job. The service garage had treated the underside with Waxoyl and other things in previous years but the 'bumper' had hidden the rusty area.

Hillman, i hope you let us know when its time to replace that Outback of yours (assuming its an auto) i might be very interested in it when the time comes if SWMBO's older model is showing signs of pegging out at the time...despite the numerous scrapes it carries and it being a mobile kennel it has proved itself to be one ofthe most reliable trouble free cars we've had and the best value too, having cost us the princely sum of £1070 three and a half years ago and hasn't missed a beat since and my Mrs loves it cos it just does everything she asks of it without any drama or fuss.

She might also be interested in a Forester of around 2008 model, but i'm none too sure if the 2.0 litre unblown engine in auto form will have enough oomph for her whilst the XT goes into max VED band which we cannot bring ourselves to pay.

I note the newer model Outback 2010 on is coming down in price now, however they saw fit to burden the poor thing with an EPB, so that's going to have to be scandalously cheap to buy to account for the inevitable 4 figure bill when that idiotic fad plays up.

I simply don't get why these fine vehicles are worth so little in the UK used though, it just doesn't compute, they should in reality be far more valuable used than the usual competition from Europe.

I simply don't get why these fine vehicles are worth so little in the UK used though, it just doesn't compute, they should in reality be far more valuable used than the usual competition from Europe.

Quite a few reasons.

1. High fuel consumption (although daveyp's normally aspirated car seems perfectly reasonable) -mpg is king in this country.

2. Lack of main dealers helping to sway punters towards other makes, and I think it was RT who mentioned poor marketing. Also, if you want to remain within the dealer servicing network, the prices are eye watering, looking at some of the bills that the previous owner of my car endured.

3. Low ratings in the motoring press. I know, people should go out and test drive a car instead of listening to people who are mainly interested in pin sharp handling and like to whack their elbow against the door to check the interior quality.

4. Living with a Subaru long term is where these cars shine and the culture of buying on finance new then trading in is getting more popular. The toughness and long term reliability is not so much of interest in this country - image and new reg is all important. By the time the (expensive) new price has dropped, they are getting too 'used' for most people to remain interested.

I'm sure there are others.

gordonbennett

"Hillman, i hope you let us know when its time to replace that Outback of yours (assuming its an auto) i might be very interested in it when the time comes ..."

It is indeed an automatic, 2.5 litre, and I won't be parting with until I have to.

Corax's comments about high fuel consumption seem reasonable although I take that as part of the price of having the car. Adding to the costs are the very high cost of spares, and you sometimes have to wait for them to be imported. I used the dealer for servicing until the three years of the guarantee were up and then I took the car to my favourite independent. I wasn't sure that the dealer was doing the work that I had asked for (and paid for) but the indy is trustworthy.

Forester XT being withdrawn from UK early 2018.
Forester XT being withdrawn from UK early 2018.

Link?

Dealer told me.
Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Falkirk Bairn

New model XT with "eyesight" only just available in the last few weeks - it would be strange to bring out the updated model only to drop it in a few months time.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - daveyK_UK

brilliant car but expensive !

uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/22283-aircon-.../ is worth reading..

Withdrawing form the UK is not the same as dropping the model. UK market is always exchange rate sensitive. If its getting too expensive for the market Subaru withdraw models.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - groaver

I cannot help but feel a different importer could help Subaru do so much better in the UK.

I drive a BRZ and it feels to me in the UK that IM feel like it's Subaru's b****** child that should just be ignored.

2 years of ownership and I cannot recall ever being contacted by anyone to ask if I am enjoying my first experience of Subaru or receive any marketing material (some may say that's a good thing!)

Honda, Suzuki and Mazda were/are so much better in this regard.

Edited by groaver on 27/09/2017 at 19:29

Be thankful for small mercies Groaver.

Since our local Toyota dealer was taken over i try to avoid letting the spares or service dept have any means of contacting me, because their sales and service depts are just hat bit too keen.

Now three years 2 months of ownership and 28,000 miles covered by me, current mileage 36,000.

Second MOT yesterday - no issues apart from front brake pads which I was aware of and will be replaced shortly.

All tyres have 4-5mm, but the shoulders on all four are slighlty more worn and I noticed on a damp roundabout last week the front end was a little twitchy, so it may be new tyres before the winter.

I had nothing to report, until was last week during a 1400 mile trip up to and around north east Scotland I had a significantt issue, but I may have caused it.

On parking in a tight spot I realised as I turned the engine off I needed to get in the boot and hadn't left room. I immediately turned the key to restart, but as the engine hadn't fully stopped the re-energisation caused the engine to restart, but it was followed by 2 bleeps and lots of warning lights - engine warning, hill hold assist and 'S' mode indicator flashing.

Switched off and left the vehicle, but on restart all the above and a flashing cruise control light. I am miles from anywhere and not in an easy accessed part of the world for any sort of recovery truck!

Plan B. Tool kit out, remove negative terminal of battery, check battery cell levels (all OK), leave 10 minutes, clean terminal connector re connect and see what happens.

DId so, restarted fine, no warnings whatseover and all has been good since - a week and over 1,000 miles with many engine restarts in between.

As the boot was packed wit luggage one of my wife's scarfs became wrapped in the luggage cover, jamming it. Four screws and 10 minutes it was dismantled, scarf removed, spring retensioned and all now back and working.

Other than those two incidents in the last week I have had no issues - not even a blown bulb.

Over the 1400 mile trip it did 42 mpg, so no complaints from me.

Re the flashing lights Daveyjp, i had a similar experience with the recently bought for SWMBO 08 plate Forester XT, i'd just finished rustproofing it and when i went to restart all the lights were on, mainly ABS.

I assumed that i'd managed to coat one of the sensors with rustproofing wax so quickly checked the front ones, couldn't find any issue so took it for a run, nope still lit up like a Christmas tree, so brought it back and went and had a cup of tea and perusal of the Subaru forums wondering what to do next, tried it again after half an hour and all went back to normal and it hasn't put a foot wrong since.

She loves the thing, slightly smaller than the Outback it replaces but better laid out boot area for the dogs and it's unfashionably narrow compared to the bloated estate cars of the present, which makes it a pleasure to drive and park, plus it looks like an ice cream van but takes off like a scalded cat...one day she'll grow up, breath not held.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - badbusdriver

"I had nothing to report, until was last week during a 1400 mile trip up to and around north east Scotland I had a significantt issue, but I may have caused it."

If i'd known you would be in the area, i'd have invited you round for tea!

A few years ago with my 2003 Forester XT...

Stupidly started the car, moved it in the drive and stopped the engine. Five minutes later, I started the car again and the dash was lit up like the proverbial...

Drive around all day like that (had no choice) but eventually I was able to stop for an hour. Came back and all back to normal.

A milestone in my ownership was reached over the weekend - 30,000 miles covered since I picked it up, now on just shy of 39,000 miles.

Since the trip to Scotland its not done many miles - mainly local trips and one trip to South Wales. It had the four year service at the end of October - included gearbox and rear diff fluid changes and new pads all round. Tyres still OK.

At the service I reported a thrumming noise through the cabin which was diagnosed as a worn offside rear wheel bearing. Asked if covered under warranty, response from dealer was no, but Subaru covered the cost after I raised it with them, so great customer service from them.

All in all still happy with the car.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - concrete

A milestone in my ownership was reached over the weekend - 30,000 miles covered since I picked it up, now on just shy of 39,000 miles.

Since the trip to Scotland its not done many miles - mainly local trips and one trip to South Wales. It had the four year service at the end of October - included gearbox and rear diff fluid changes and new pads all round. Tyres still OK.

At the service I reported a thrumming noise through the cabin which was diagnosed as a worn offside rear wheel bearing. Asked if covered under warranty, response from dealer was no, but Subaru covered the cost after I raised it with them, so great customer service from them.

All in all still happy with the car.

Very good updates davey. I am torn next year when I replace my tow car. Thinking of trying a petrol model if there is a suitable petrol car for towing a caravan. Subaru always looks like it could do that job. Do you tow at all? Maybe your dealer has some vehicles for service that do tow. Any information would be useful to consider a replacement. From your chronicles the marque seems to be well put together and reliable too. Just what I want.

Cheers Concrete

As I approach almost 4 years of ownership a quick update.

It has now done 42,000 miles and as it approaches 5 years old (September) thoughts turned to what to do - keep or swap?

The tyres were original, but getting to the point of needing replacement. Plenty of tread in the centre - 3.5-4mm all round, but shoulders wouldn't do many more miles and the walls were starting to develop dryness cracks.

Decision taken to keep the car at least another year and treat it to some new tyres in preparation for the summer holiday trips. During the tyre change the fitter found nothing untoward and there should be no issues at the MOT in a couple of months.

Another year clicks by, another MOT today.

Car went through 50,000 first week of August, now at 51,000 thanks to another trip north of the Border a couple of weeks ago. No squeeks, rattles, knocks or any other signs of the mileage it has covered when driving it.

No issues at all with the MOT. 6th annual service in a few weeks and I don't expect any surprises.

Subaru Forester - First 2 months and 2,000 miles of ownership - Avant

Many thanks for continuing to keep us updated, Davey. The fact that you don't have to do it very often is testament to the good quality of the Forester.

It's a pity that Subarus are so ineptly marketed in the UK. Good cars which often get left off people's shortlists because no-one draws them to their attention.