Private Number Plate transfer - Lady Golfer

My 2007 car has a private number plate which I want to keep and transfer to my new car when I decide what to buy. In order for me to sell my current car privately I need to put a 2007 registration number on it. I understand I first need to apply for a retention certificate from the DVLA at a cost of £80 which will allow me to retain my private plate. Will the DVLA automatically send a new registration document with a 2007 plate to enable me to sell my current car.

Private Number Plate transfer - skidpan

Its all here.

www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbe...r

If you read it all the way down you will find details of how you get your replacement reg number.

Private Number Plate transfer - Andrew-T

Unless your car was private-registered from brand new, it should revert to its original reg. when you transfer your plate to another vehicle - otherwise DVLA will give it a new 2007 identity. Unless someone knows different ....

Private Number Plate transfer - RT

Unless your car was private-registered from brand new, it should revert to its original reg. when you transfer your plate to another vehicle - otherwise DVLA will give it a new 2007 identity. Unless someone knows different ....

Correct - unless that original number has been reallocated to a different car. When the form is sent toi DVLA, with the old V5C and £80 fee, you get a new V5C back as you need that to get number plates made up (unless you kept the originals).

Don't forget to notify your insurer of change of registration number.

Private Number Plate transfer - lordwoody

Don't bother, private number plates just make you look like an idiot.

Private Number Plate transfer - Manatee

Don't bother, private number plates just make you look like an idiot.

And that comment makes you...never mind.

I tend to agree when the spacing is mucked about with and/or stragegic bolts used to massage the characters. Otherwise what's the problem?

Personally, I don't want my name on my car, but I have a couple of old dateless plates that I like.

To the OP - if you are buying new, you could try asking the supplying dealer to do the swap (and take the cost). Save you the fee, and possibly the extra set of plates.

Private Number Plate transfer - slkfanboy

Saves buy a new car each year lol

Private Number Plate transfer - Snakey

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time - it took about 6 weeks for the DVLA to sort my wifes private plates out.

Obviously staffed by people of the mental capacity of lordwoody....

Private Number Plate transfer - alan1302

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time - it took about 6 weeks for the DVLA to sort my wifes private plates out.

Obviously staffed by people of the mental capacity of lordwoody....

Most places it's the managment that cause the issues rather than the staff. Thye just do as they are told.

I bet they are lovely things, tell her to ignore all the idiots laughing at her.

Private Number Plate transfer - Snakey

I bet they are lovely things, tell her to ignore all the idiots laughing at her.

Please include a list of things you like so I can tell you that you're wrong to like all of them as well.

Private Number Plate transfer - Bromptonaut

And that comment makes you...never mind.

I tend to agree when the spacing is mucked about with and/or stragegic bolts used to massage the characters. Otherwise what's the problem?

Personally, I don't want my name on my car, but I have a couple of old dateless plates that I like.

Out and about yesterday returning home from BH w/e at my daughter's in Plymouth. Amongst several aberrations was ADR 14N re=arranged to spell Adrain. I assume the owner was called Adrian.

I worked with a pair of Adrians in my last job where my duties included minuting meetings. After finding the Adrain typo just to easy to both make and overlook I set it as an auto-correct in word.

Me and the wife often have a good laugh at cars with private plates that have clearly been respaced to spell something but what that is could only be known by the owner. A great way of wasting quite a bit of money.

Takes all sorts, just a shame the police don't stop more people who have clarly abused the law relating to plates.

Private Number Plate transfer - FP

I can't see the point either. If the message/name on the plate is intelligible only to the owner, why do it?

And if it is intelligible to all and sundry, why do you want everyone to know your name, especially if it's some bizarre or weird spelling, so you appear illiterate?

The couple next door each have personal plates, pretty clearly spelling their initial plus surname. It makes me want to ask the wife, who is blonde, whether she has problems finding her car in the Tesco car park.

Edited by FP on 02/09/2015 at 14:09

The couple next door each have personal plates

Same with the couple next door to us. She has a totally meaningless plate (probably trying to spell her name - and failing) on her oldish 4 x 4 (must have a 4 x 4 living in town) and she's blone as well.

He has a plate with his initials on his van.

Both their parents have similar plates on their cars as do most of their friend who come.

They probably don't understand how we manage to cope without such essential accessories.

I assume you mean 41N not 14N otherwise it would spell Adrian anyway.

I used to deal with a very grand bloke called Adrian some years ago, and invariably typed "Dear Adrain" at the start of emails to him, some of which slipped through,

In the end I just gave him the nickname "The Drain".

Private Number Plate transfer - Bromptonaut

I used to deal with a very grand bloke called Adrian some years ago, and invariably typed "Dear Adrain" at the start of emails to him, some of which slipped through,

Not the (Vice?) Chancellor of a Welsh university by any chance?

Private Number Plate transfer - Avant

Sometimes one letter can make all the difference, such as in French between soeur (sister) and sueur (drain).

Louise is another name not to mistype....

Or Clint.

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/11/21/friday-favs-112114.html

Not the (Vice?) Chancellor of a Welsh university by any chance?

No...a quite senior banker!

Private Number Plate transfer - Lady Golfer

Many thanks to all the very amusing replies.