any used car. - Idemnity fee - arno65

I have noticed quite a few, but not all, second hand dealers here in Bristol have started adding £99 to the price of a car. What is this all about? One dealer ,usedcarsofbristol, says it is to protect you from the car being stolen, on an HP agreement or other such things . I thought dealers were duty bound by law to check these things and to provide a 6 month warranty? If they don't call it an idemnity fee it is called an admin fee. I thought the whole point of paying dealer inflated prices was for the peace of mind it brought. Is this yet another example of "rip off Britain'?

They will not be getting my custom. It is just like ticket agencies charging an admin fee.

I would be interested to know what Honest John thinks about this.

any used car. - Indemnity fee - Avant

I'm not sure I understand this. Prices have ended in -99 or -999 for years to make them look lower, as in 3999 looking less than 4000.

If a dealer is trying to add on some form of insurance policy, they can't insist on your taking it.

If you want HJ's own opinion, please E-mail letters@honestjohn.co.uk, but to help him you need to make it clearer what this is about.

any used car. - Indemnity fee - skidpan

I bought a car from Motorpoint back in 1999 and there was an idemnity fee on top of the price shown. It was only about £50 from memory and the fact that the car was £4000 less than a Ford main dealer made it irrelevant.

Motorpint now show it as a "Pre-Delivery Fee of £99 (optional) includes, HPI Certificate, PDI, Service (if required) and valet"

The solution is simple, if you don't want to pay it don't buy from them. If the cars are OK and the prices lower than elsewhere does it matter.

any used car. - Indemnity fee - alan1302

The solution is simple, if you don't want to pay it don't buy from them. If the cars are OK and the prices lower than elsewhere does it matter.

That's what is comes down to.

any used car. - Indemnity fee - colino

As a professional trader has to give you good title to your new car, everyone subscribes to HPI and it costs buttons in volume. Charging an admin. fee to cover these essentials is just a way of them having cars that appear £99 cheaper on the forecourt than they really are.