Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - Ikarusuk

Hi, new to the forums and looking for some advice (sorry if this has been covered elsewhere):

Basically, the clutch on my 2.5 year old i20, 15,500 miles on the clock, has started slipping in fifth gear. I've taken it to the dealer, who quoted me £80 to inspect it and tell me whether it's a warranty fix, or down to wear and tear; they've taken it for a road test yesterday and did some external inspection (without looking at the clutch itself) and the road test engineer is confident it's down to general wear. They're now telling me that the £80 was quoted by a call centre operator, not the garage, and wouldn't cover the necessary work to visually inspect the clutch.

The dealer now wants me to authorise £450 odd worth of work to take the gearbox and clutch out and replace if necessary.

Same old story, I've driven cars for 10 years, with many more miles on the clock than this, without any clutch issues. I don't ride the clutch and I always use the handbreak (i.e. I don't hold the car on the clutch on hills/at junctions). I'm sure everybody says it, but there's absolutely no way my driving style could have caused the clutch to fail after 2.5 years. Everybody I've mentioned this too is flabbergasted.

The car's been serviced since new, no issues apart from this and is definitely under warranty (although, it now seems the warranty is worth sweet FA anyway).

I don't really know what to do about this, any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - Peter.N.

The only advice I can offer is don't let it slip, I know it means driving more carefully but it could make the clutch last for several thousand miles more.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - RobJP

I'd suggest contacting an independent garage and getting the price off them for supply and fit a new (OEM) clutch. If considerably cheaper, then you may well be able to use it as a stick to beat down the price from the main dealer.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - daveyjp

Google "i20 clutch problems" - you are not alone.

Whilst driver abuse can cause problems, if a car owner has a history of generally not wrecking clutches it suggests a component issue.

My wife had an i20 very briefly - 6 months - and the clutch always felt fragile.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - galileo

At 2.5 years old a Hyundai should have 2.5 years warranty cover left?

I think the small print in warranty tems mentions 60000 miles for clutch friction disc, though maybe also a 24 month limit.

Edited by galileo on 28/08/2015 at 14:46

Thanks for all the advice:

Peter

I've been driving around (very carefully), but I'm already starting to notice problems pulling away on hill starts, so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet sooner rather than later on this one.

Rob

I've had a few quotes pretty come back pretty much half the price the dealer was asking. I have reservations about them coming down this far, but I might try the goodwill argument, saying as they have a vested interest in keeping me as a client, with my car being on a PCP.

Davey

I found loads of cases; referenced 12 of them and another 4 or so from this website and took it to my local Trading Standards dept. for advice. They told me that rather than the clutch being faulty, it could just be argued that they are very cheap and not up to the standard most people would expect, but this in itself isn't an argument to have it replaced because they still do their jobs as a clutch - albeit clearly not for as long as other manufacturers. Short response was, unless hundreds of people come forward and petition Hyundai, they'll not do anything about it...

Galileo

There is 5 years left on my warranty, but you are correct in the small print about the clutch small print. I'm out of luck on that front.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - gordonbennet

Family Aygo clutch was getting past its prime couple of months ago 5 years some 50k miles of which lots has been heavy traffic commutes, Toyota laughing quoted £750 for the job, thats the last the dealer will ever see of the car, well done chaps.

We regularly use a local to us indy garage, they slipped a LUK clutch pack in and charged £280 for the job all in.

Just a guideline price for you.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - skidpan

There is 5 years left on my warranty,

How can there be 5 years remaining on your warranty. Hyundais have 5 years warranty when new, yours is 2.5 years old thus it has 2.5 years left.

Simple maths.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - RT

There is 5 years left on my warranty,

How can there be 5 years remaining on your warranty. Hyundais have 5 years warranty when new, yours is 2.5 years old thus it has 2.5 years left.

Simple maths.

And Hyundai don't do extended factory warranties - I tried with my Santa Fe!

Just a quick update: a local garage has taken the clutch out and discovered that the problem has been caused by a faulty gearbox oil seal, which has been leaking over the clutch. This, it turns out, is a warranty repair, and was not caused by general wear and tear. Back to the dealer it goes...

gordonbennet:

I received a similar quote from a local garage, although some were quoting upwards of £350. Still cheaper than the Dealer's price though!

skidpan/RT:

Yep, head wasn't screwed on when I replied to that. What I meant to put across was that although the car came with a 5 year warranty, Galileo was correct about the warranty on the clutch lasting 60,000 miles or 24 months...and yes, there is only 2.5 years left on it now.

Hyundai i20 - i20 Clutch Fail! - skidpan

Just a quick update: a local garage has taken the clutch out and discovered that the problem has been caused by a faulty gearbox oil seal, which has been leaking over the clutch. This, it turns out, is a warranty repair

Presume this means you have paid to have the car stripped and will now have to pay to have it reassembled. The fact that a non-Hyundai garage have stripped it may mean that Hyundai will not accept the warranty work.

Might be cheaper to just let your garage fix the seal and fit a new clutch, the parts are not that expensive.