Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Jim001

Hello all, about six weeks ago the oil light came on in my 2010 Mazda 6 2.2 Sport while I was on th M6 near Staford, I diched onto the hard sholder and slowed to a stop. I called the AA and got it recovered to a Mazda dealer in Staford, they had a look and said there was a knocking noise from the engine, so the proceeded to remove the sump. They found the metal filings in the sump and diagnosed a replacement engine at £7000. I resorted to searching the web and found this guy, Hagans Autos in Ireland who seems to specialize in Mazda engines. They arranged to have my car collected and brought to Ireland, removed the engine and recondition it, they also reconditioned the turbo and removed the D P F sytem and also returned the car to me. At first I was a bit unsure about sending my car to Ireland, but I could not find any one else who was willing to take the engine repair Job on, so I was basing my decision on there reviews. I just got ther car back last week and its running great, so I am well plaesed with work. The guy I was dealing with is called Colin Hagan and he is very easy to deal with.

(link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 27/08/2015 at 11:20

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - RobJP

Congratulations. Your car no longer complies with type approval, is illegal to use on the road, and you commit the criminal offence of fraud if you sell it on to someone without telling them that the DPF has been removed (this includes part-ex'ing it in)

If you happen to get stopped by VOSA/police in a few months for the plumes of black smoke coming out of the exhaust due to the lack of DPF, then you will not be allowed to use the car on the road until it has all been replaced and verified as such, probably at a cost of £1000 or more.

Apart from that lot though, sounds like a great place to deal with !

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Engineer Andy

I think he claims today's prize of 'mug of the day'.

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - 72 dudes

H'mm, some of Jim001's language has a distinct Irish phraseology (brought to Ireland, this guy etc). I wonder what his link to the company is.

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Avant

I wondered that too, so I deleted the link.

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - xtrailman

Removing the DPF may be illegal but that woun't stop them being removed.

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Geoff A S
Experienced an engine failure on a 2011 Mazda 2.2 175 sport.

This was as a result of an injector washer leaking on no.1 cylinder contaminating the fuel and causing soot deposits to block the oil filter. I had oil pressure flickering a few hundred miles earlier but it went away. I should have sorted it then. A Mazda dealer diagnosed it but was uneconomical to repair due to main bearing failure and potential turbo issues

I read the first post and other posts and looked at engine replacement and reconditioning. In the end I researched and did send my car to NI and had an engine recon and turbo recon for a fixed price. The car was collected and I chose to personally collect the car from near Belfast and had a road trip back via Belfast -Cairnryan ferry. Key points

1. Look on YouTube to see the attempt on getting the injector out of my car , it had to be specially removed as welded to the head
2. The engine was reconditioned as promised and the turbo also needed a rebuild and this was done as part of the price
3. As I went and collected the car from the South of England the fixed price was reduced without me asking!
4. I also had the clutch replaced whilst the engine was being rebuilt and first to second gear is a lot smoother- thought there maybe gearbox issues but not the case
5. Have been advised to change oil every 6,000 miles
6. Have been advised to change the injector washers as often as possible .

If anyone has any concerns about the legitimacy of this engine replacement service, I am happy to back up my post and I have NO affiliation. I just wanted to keep my car on the road and was majorly disappointed with the engine failure with FSH

If you own a 2.2 diesel get the washers changed ASAP , do not sit out the oil change due to dilution !

Edited by Geoff simmons on 11/07/2018 at 12:21

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Miniman777

Sounds like a valid set of reasons never to buy a Mazda with a 2.2 diesel engine. The perfect money pit!

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Leif
Am I the only one who can smell spam? Resurrect an old spam post to push the originally advertised garage.
Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Geoff A S
A bit slow to respond here, the reality is that I did have my engine replaced over a year ago and it has done over 10,000 miles on the new engine. I actually went to Belfast to collect the car and drove home via the ferry to Caenryan and stopped at the Lake District on the way home. The reality is that this saved me scrapping the car. The big recommendation on this engine is to makes sure you replace the injector washers sat 80k. Appears the previous owners skipped this and the FSH digit make this obvious.

This is not spam, a customer who has used this fixed price offering without any issues. I only weighed in because there is a suggestion that Colin Hagan is not legit. Well I have met him and he is and can probed evidence. Thanks, Geoff
Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - SteveLee

Under the new 2018 MOT regs, testers now look for tampered with emissions systems and will fail the car accordingly.

Mazda 6 Sport 2.2 Diesel - Mazda 6 Sport Engine Failure - Big John

Under the new 2018 MOT regs, testers now look for tampered with emissions systems and will fail the car accordingly.

It's still not illegal to remove a DPF (which is why garages can get away with doing it) but it is illegal to drive a car with one removed (if it was originally fitted with one).

As well as looking for a "tampered with" emissions system the recent MOT change will now fail a car with an illuminated EML and will also fail a car with ANY visible smoke if fitted with a DPF from new