Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - Duterte
Hi everyone I'm having a hard time choosing a next workhorse with negative feedbacks about diesel cars manufactured since 2009 due to its DPF while I'm running more than 25000 a year mostly town driving, I'm not sure if petrol will be a good idea. I'm driving a 1.9 passat with 5 speed at the moment and it never lets me down. I only have 7000 budget for a used car but it has to be atleast 7 years old. I am thinking between avensis 1.8 petrol or e class, c class 2.1 and it has to be manual. Thanks for your time, all advice will be considered for my next step...
Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - brum

Imo get a diesel. Town driving, the fuel consumption difference is far greater. 25000 miles, presumably you drive longish periods with a warm engine so dont think dpf will be any problem. Avoid pd engines with dpf however, not a good combination.

If you need to go into london, birmingham or manchester, they may become diesel unfriendly in coming years, you might need euro 6 engines for there.

Edited by brum on 20/08/2015 at 13:09

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - slkfanboy

Normally taxi companies have a distinct customer base. So look to see what other taxi drivers for the target taxi company and copy them.

So in my area one company used toyota Hybrid another Merc. Diesel is still the best option for cheapness.

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - daveyK_UK

for 7 grand you might pick up a diesel 15 Dacia Logan.

Ok, its a modern diesel and it has a dpf, etc BUT its a proven engine, excellent value for money and will be more reliable than anything 7 years old.

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - TopScot

I sware by the Korean diesels. Never any problems from the DPF or DMF ran my last hyubdai i40 up to 120k. New one is on 36 k amd no problems.

Whatever you do stay well clear of an insignia or any CDTI engine for that matter

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - Oli rag

In the Milton Keynes area, a lot of taxi drivers seem to be now buying Toyota Prius and Auris hybrids of varying ages. Not sure how much of a prius you get for £7k though?

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - slkfanboy

>In the Milton Keynes area, a lot of taxi drivers seem to be now buying Toyota Prius and >Auris hybrids of varying ages. Not sure how much of a prius you get for £7k though?

Getting a Prius under 10K it's going to be 6-7 years old, so I would see it as an option, is more skoda superb money

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - daveyK_UK

Most of the private hires in Leeds are Citroen berlingo multispace or Peugeot partner tepee. I assume they are all the 1.6 diesel.

For 7 grand you should easily pick up a good one approaching 3 years old.

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - Avant

I presume you mean 'at most 7 years old'. A Skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol would be worth a look, although there will be fewer around than there are diesels.

Alternatively, as suggested above, talk to other taxi-drivers who have newer diesel cars ad see if they have had any DPF problems. Some cars are better than others in this regard.

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - FoxyJukebox

Watch the mileage !-I remember asking a Glasgow taxie driver a few years ago how many miles his cab had done and he said "250,000-and it runs like a dream!"

Reliabilie and economical - Buying a used car for taxi used - balleballe

There's a lot of 1.8 Valvematic avensis' up here.

Interestingly, seen a few civic taxis which makes sense considering the reliability, economy and the amount of room inside.