BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Femooh

The car with the above plate number has been parked in front of my house for the past three weeks.

I live in a terraced house in Dagenham and own a car. My next door neighhbours have two cars each and we have always tried to respect each other by not parking in each other parking space, except when absolutely necessary.

This time around, somebody must have instigated the owner of the said car to park in my space and for the past three weeks this car has not been moved. This has created so much inconvenience as I have to most times look for empty space all over the length of our street to park when I return from work. Worst still, getting groceries and other things have become a lot more difficult for me and my partner.

Is there anything that can be done about this heartless souls who don't consider the situation of other people.

Thank you.

Femooh

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - RobJP

The car is showing up as not having valid insurance on the insurance database. I'd suggest you might make a call to the police, ensuring you get a reference number for the call (that way they can't just file it under 'bin'). They will then fine the owner, and quite likely tow the car away (more costs to owner).

Of course, it's entirely possible that the car has been stolen and left there, which the police phone call would also flag up.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Femooh

Thanks for your response.

I just called to the local police office, but it seems there is not much that can be done about the fact that it's uninsured since it's not being driven. But they confirmed the Road Tax is up to date. They have informed the neighbourhood watch on 'Nuisance factor' and gave me a reference number.

I keep my fingers crossed and hope something positive will come from this and somebody will learn a lesson.

Regards.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Rats
but it seems there is not much that can be done about the fact that it's uninsured since it's not being driven.

I thought the law was now that all vehicles had to have continuous insurance? If that's correct, it sounds like a cop-out on plod's part to me.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - RobJP

It is uninsured and parked on a public highway. That is a criminal offence. Whether it is being driven or not is irrelevant.

The only way it can not have insurance and be legal is if it is parked on private land AND has been declared SORN.

I'd suggest you go back to the police station and be a little more persistent, or ask to speak to someone more senior. Sounds to me like someone wants a nice easy day not doing much work.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - No_FM2R

>>it seems there is not much that can be done about the fact that it's uninsured since it's not being driven

What utter garbage. I'd go back and have a footstamp.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - No_FM2R

Edited by No_FM2R on 03/09/2015 at 18:39

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Falkirk Bairn

Report car as dumped to the local Council.

They will put a warning on the car that it will be uplifted & scrapped if it is not moved within XX days

(IIRC it was 21 days when we had a similar problem say 15 years ago)

I managed to get it uplifted in 2 hours - released handbrake and pushed it near an electricity sub-station - then phoned the electricity company who duly obliged and they wrote to thank me!!!

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Ben 10
I understand your frustration but if there are no residents parking zones or waiting restrictions, and has VED, the owner can park where he likes.It is a public highway. So many people think that a space outside their front door is theirs set in stone. It's not.
You have contacted the police and they don't appear to be interested. I don't condone this, but it's has been known for such inconsiderate parking to attract damage to said vehicle in some form. Which would make the vehicle unsecure and an interest to the law.
BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - Bromptonaut

OP suggests it had already been there 3 weeks in mid August. At that time I guess it might have been left there while owner was on holiday, perhaps having travelled with one of OP's neighbours.

It's far from unknown for tightwads' cars to be left on streets near airports and a taxi taken for last couple of miles. Dagenham though seems an unlikely place for such jinks.

If it's still there now without having been moved then there's a good chance it's abandoned.

BMW 3 Series {N617 SJS} - An unknown vehicle parked in front of my house - NorthernBoy

Any update on the beamer? has it finally moved?