Which estate do i buy? - Dexter7176
Hi, i am looking for an estate for a family, 3 kids but would only have 3 in occasionally as one is a moody teen. I have upto £6000 to spend i am handy on the tools so i can do alot of repairs my self, within reason. I would prefer petrol because i only do 10000 miles a year and have already had a bad run with tdi. I would prefer a auto but not essential, im heading towards 50 so would like some luxury that i have never had. Any ideas what to get? Thanks for your help.
Which estate do i buy? - daveyK_UK

A 1 year old Dacia Logan MCV with either of the petrol engines. Huge boot and drives better than you might expect.

Which estate do i buy? - Trilogy

A 1 year old Dacia Logan MCV with either of the petrol engines. Huge boot and drives better than you might expect.

The OP would like a bit of luxury.

Which estate do i buy? - Avant

The Dacia has the advantage of being much newer than anything else you'd get for £6,000. If you want more luxury, as your last line suggests, try the Ghia or Titanium versions of the Ford Focus or Mondeo: these are also a good choice if you want to do repairs yourself.

For maximun reliability go for somethong Japanese or Korean (petrol-powered); for seat comfort think about the Volvo V50. For rear seat space there's the Skoda Superb, but this is best as a manual as the DSG transmission can give trouble at higher mileages.

Which estate do i buy? - bazza

Easy, nice Avensis 2.0 petrol or Honda Accord petrol. Both relatively bombproof, easy to work on, Japanese reliability, no fancy turbos, piezo direct injection or other frightening things for a spanner handy DIYer.

Which estate do i buy? - SteveLee

Mondeo:- reliable, comfortable, good handling, well equipped - a fantastic car.

Which estate do i buy? - gordonbennet

I'm with Bazza, but Avensis (assuming you get 09 on so current shape) will have electric parking brake, Accord can have an expensive known electronic module fault, hopefully it's noted in HJ's reviews above.

Mondeo probably a good choice too, it's a big car, i haven't a clue if it comes with electric parking brake.

Some people like EPB's, others don't for various reasons.

Which estate do i buy? - ike2

I've just spent 2 years running a 2010 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSi DSG Elegance estate which I loved. It goes incredibly quickly, for such a small engine even with 5 adults and a dog on board. The Elegance model has all the luxury and gadgets you could want. My opn experience with the DSG gearbox has been nothing but positive. The 7 speeds change very smoothly and the car went like a dream. It was 5 years old with only 27000 miles on the clock when I changed it as I needed a people carrier, otherwise I would have kept it.

Which estate do i buy? - Trilogy

If you want a left of field choice, how about one of these? www.w124.co.uk. This guy has some of the best, although his are a bit pricey. I have an E300D estate and love it. If you want something cheaper to run I'd certainly recommend a Ford estate. Had a couple of Fords, bother very reliable.

Which estate do i buy? - gordonbennet

My son has just bought himself a 57 plate 325i estate, 3 litre petrol manual, he's not collected it yet but it's around your budget and from a different make main dealer.

We had quite a discussion about the runflat situation, luckily its on 17" wheels and new high quality runflats are only around the £70/80 mark when the time comes so he'll probably just buy a spare full size wheel to keep at home or sling in boot as appropraite depending on use just so he doesn't get his pants pulled down in the event of a flat and stay on teh runflats.

i should add he was looking for something like a newer version of my landcruiser in order to slow him up a bit whilst providing some room for family extended outings...where the roll eyes smiley

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/08/2015 at 21:48

Which estate do i buy? - slkfanboy

BMW 5 series super value for what you get a few issues with low running costs.

SUV offer no more room over an estate IMHO and do slow you down!