Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - JBlue1
Hello

I'm a bit of a newbie at this, but I bought a car that was badged for £5200 for £4000 with a trade in of my previous car. The Peugoet I bought was stated to have full service history, however when I got the car home I looked for the books (I know I should have done this at the shop) but they were not in the vehicle.

I called the person who sold me the car and they said that was fine they would send it out to me. I called a week later and they said it take 4 weeks for Peugeot to send out the books, so I waited and called back a month later.

Again they apologised and this time said that it would take 6 weeks for this to come through. And when I called again they said it would take another 6 weeks and they would call me. It's been four months.

I've added cruise control to the vehicle but driven 6000-7000 miles in that time

I don't know what to do, they will take the car back but I don't know if I'm getting screwed or what I should do

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Alex
Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - RobJP

The question here is what is the difference in value between a car with full service history, and a car with no service history.

Useful information in determining that would be the age of the car, the mileage on the car when bought, if you bought the car retail (from a trader) or privately, if you have evidence that the car was advertised as having FSH.

Basically, you find out that difference in value, and write to them (recorded delivery), informing them that if they don't provide you with the service book OR the difference in value, then you will take them to Trading Standards / small claims court.

They will then either pay, ignore you (in the hope that you are bluffing), supply the book, or make a counter-offer.

You will then have to decide just how far you want to take the matter.

Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - bathtub tom

Was the car described as having a full service history, or a full main dealer service history?

If the latter, then I suggest you approach a Peugeot main dealer and ask if there's any record of it on their system.

Hello

The car was described as FSH through Peugeot.

I bought the car through a dealer, but I do not have it in writing that there it was sold with FSH.

It was the sales rep when selling me the car who said it had FSH from Peugeot.

I am seeing them on Tuesday, and asking them to look at the car buy it back and sell me a new one, or pay me the difference.

thank you

Edited by JBlue1 on 24/07/2015 at 15:53

Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - Andrew-T
The Peugeot I bought was stated to have full service history, however when I got the car home I looked for the books (I know I should have done this at the shop) but they were not in the vehicle.

It's common for dealers to remove the handbook and service record from cars while on display on the forecourt. It's also common for previous owners to have forgotten to have the book stamped, or for cars not to have been serviced 'correctly' during the warranty period. It then becomes common for sellers to make the records disappear, perhaps offering to have a new book created from scratch.

IF the car has been serviced at a Peugeot franchise the full record should be on computer, and a reprint should be available. If it hasn't, the only source of information may be the previous owner.

Another remote possibility is that the car is 'ex-rental' or similar, and if it has only done 12K miles or less, servicing may not yet have fallen due. Unlikely at the price you are paying?

The questions I asked (which would help to determine the difference in value), you didn't answer. Age, mileage. You do however admit that you've got nothing in writing which says it was sold with FSH, only what you recall the salesman as saying.

One person's word against another's, and they could easily claim that the car was discounted by £1200 from the original price because no SH was present.

If you've owned a car for a few months, spent money on it (as you say, putting cruise control on it), and it is running well, then I'd really want to get some money back rather than getting rid of it.

Better the devil you know, as they say ...

Hi guys

It is a peugeot 207 diesel, 2010 plate, originally bought with 65000 miles and now has 72000 miles on the clock

Is there anywhere I can find out the estimated value of my vehicle? That a dealer would accept?

Cheers guys
Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - Andrew-T
Is there anywhere I can find out the estimated value of my vehicle? That a dealer would accept?

You could tout it round to other dealers as a possible trade-in, with or without FSH. That should give you an idea, but not encouraging I guess.

The delaying tactics regarding the missing history mean (a) they just forget every time or (b) they don't intend to do anything.

Edited by Andrew-T on 24/07/2015 at 19:15

If you go to the car buying websites, you can enter your details and select service history levels, put in a fake email address (I use nospam@spam.com), and get a valuation there and then. Then repeat the exercise, but put in that it has no service history.

I would guess the difference in value will be £500 or less. But as you've already said, the car was discounted a fair bit, so I wouldn't guarantee you'll get anything out of them.

Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - FP

I would let it go. I suspect the reduction in value from not having FSH documentation would be small, maybe cancelled out by the deal you got right at the beginning.

And yes - "... when I got the car home I looked for the books (I know I should have done this at the shop) but they were not in the vehicle." It's easily done, in the rush of doing the other stuff.

Put it down to experience and you'll do better next time. I'm not certain you have done that badly this time, actually.

Edited by FP on 24/07/2015 at 20:33

Peugeot 207 - Sold with full service history but has none - slkfanboy

I suspect it likely the dealer has lost the book or previous owner not ensured the book was stamped.

Normally dealer dont make these kind of errors. I would not let it go but ask another dealer.

It will aid the sale of the car if you get it sorted.