vaux vectra 1.9 - diesel pump timing - frogmarch

hi hope some one can help changed waterpump and cambelt on my vectra 1.9 cdti 120 , 8 valve and have had a ticking , tappety noise since , on this model does it have a timing pin hole for camshaft and is there any marks for diesel pump , you cant hear noise on tickover and ticks over fine , my mate said it sounds like injector , thanks

vaux vectra 1.9 - diesel pump timing - Peter.N.

If it starts and drives OK I doubt that the timing is out. I think a faulty injector is quite likely.

yh my mate said it was probably injector but it only started since i changed cambelt , i have got to service it and do filters ,would putting some forte injector cleaner through help thanks

hi i have serviced it and put some forte injector cleaner in but still sounds really rattley when you rev it only seems to be when i done waterpump and cam belt

vaux vectra 1.9 - diesel pump timing - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like the cam timing is out.Did you pin/lock the sprockets?The diesel pump is not timed.

hi my vectra is the 120 8 valve model and just put it to mark on cam cover dont think you can pin it also on crank timing the tool was bolted to it but also the little nick in actual crank pulley did not line up with nick in engine cover , do not know if this ok as when i put marks to where i thought they were meant to be , engine locked up by hand

hi had a bloke whos vaux mechanic and he said it sounds like timing is out a bit , has anybody got a picture of timing marks are on vectra 1.9 cdti 8 valve engine please

vaux vectra 1.9 - diesel pump timing - Railroad.

Correct valve timing is not about lining up the marks on the pulleys, it's about the correct relative positions of the crankshaft, camshaft and fuel injection pump. Nearly all diesel engines require setting tools to lock the shafts in the correct positions, and to allow correct tensioning of the belt with the pulleys slackened. Failure to do this will mean the timing will move when the belt is tensioned, and will susequently be incorrect. Not enough to cause damage to the engine, but sufficient to have an effect on emissions, and in the case of pump timing far enough incorrect to cause engine knock (advanced) or smoke on starting (retarded).

thanks railroad i just spoke to vauxhall and fitter said that they have had trouble with the crank pulley moving , i have got timing tools , but on tdc how can i check top dead centre

If the crankshaft pulley is keyed to the crankshaft make sure the key and the slot have no wear and movement in them, and in this case the camshaft will not be keyed and must be locked into position using the appropriate tools. If there is no key on the crankshaft then it must be locked in the correct position too. This could be in the form of a pin which screws into the crankcase, and onto which the crank web pushes against or slots into. On most diesel engines the correct tools are essential to get the timing right.

hi on vauxhall 1.9 cdti 8 valve there is a bracket that bolts to crank pulley and oil pump but vaux tech said that if woodruff key is broke it might have moved a bit

That would do it then. If you have wear in the crankshaft key or slot then the valve/pump timing could be out by a few degrees. If this was the case the effect on the engine power would be quite noticeable.

thanks railroad will have a look when i feel better as now got chest infection , i will have to take glowplug or injector out to see when piston is at top and see if anything line up , if not timing bloke said oil strainer blocked or pump ,

hi have bought new crank pulley and bolt but just wondred as bolt is left hand thread would undoing it with breaker bar and somebody with foot on brake and car in gear be able to undo it as i have not got air wrench thanks

hi have tried to get bolt out but is so tight tried with a electric wrench and tried with breaker bar but wouldnot turn dont know what elso to try